• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New M&P 9, not all good to report...

This is a discussion on New M&P 9, not all good to report... within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; It's a $400-450 gun, unless you love to overpay. But I had to use two separate discounts. Your name has XDm in it. I just ...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49793
It's a $400-450 gun, unless you love to overpay. But I had to use two separate discounts.

Your name has XDm in it. I just took mine out with a full mag and had to beat the crap out of the mag well to make it happen, and only after more than a couple tries, probably slowly creeping the slide stop. But I've already heard Glocks, Sigs, and now H&Ks do it too. It's just something I don't like and am not used to.

"Stiff" and completely unusuable are two totally different things. It must have some GIANT burs inside. And after a bit of working it in, they are now finally "stiff." Big improvement.

Not sure I ever said "deal" [wit it] or that it was a "bad" gun. Lol.
CavScout88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
I have none of the problems you described with my M&P9c. Does not slam the slide home when a mag is slapped in with force. The slide stop is manipulative by thumb pressure. Sounds odd.
Not sure. The model I bought was followed by "LE" where as the compacts or designed for carry. But I can't see them changing that 'feature.' By the way, read Poneill's post, like #5. It's "supposed" to. Which means your gun is failing you! Lol.

Brand new, neither my cousin or I could work the stop on either pistol. Even trying from both sides. I figured that's what was catching, because it's an ambi control.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickboy240 View Post
The M&P45 I borrowed did not do the slide forward thing. I did borrow an HK USP that did that and yeah...I found that jarring.

The M&P trigger is terrible and the re-set is almost non-existent.

If S&W fixed a few things...that pistol would be great but I don't see giving up my Steyr for one any time soon.

-brickboy240
I concur the trigger is awful
K.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.D. View Post
I concur the trigger is awful
They are really only horrible new out of the box. The trigger breaks in a lot better. But new, it's a grindy/creaky trigger and a impossible slide stop.

Most guns on the shelves get played with a lot. So undoubtably if you buy one from a shelf-type shop, it's been worked a bit. Mine had probably never been worked more than once or twice.

If it matters, the 2 pistols I bought were from a very new batch. Just in from SW and then to me asap.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
for the "auto" slide release when slapping in a mag..... I have a Glock that does sometimes.... my XDm, never... and my Kahr is doing it quite often while doing "combat" reloads in shooting classes.

Both of my usual instructors have said this is actually a favorable thing for the self defense shooter. It takes away that split second delay of having to use the slide release or "sling shot" of the slide. (Hey... it is THEM telling me, I'm just the messenger!!).

IMO, especially on the Kahr with its single stack mag and more frequent mag changes, I actually like it. As long as I am ready to slingshot/thumb the slide release if the slide doesn't release it's a non-issue. In reality, is that fraction of a second having to thumb/sling shot or have the slide go forward automatically going to make a difference? I pray that it is never that critical for me!!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks for the info. I agree that it could be better, if it did it all or most of the time.

As long as it doesn't start doing the other thing. Slam it too hard and it will slip over the round instead of chambering it. I've heard of this, as a standard, for this. I'll be really unhappy if I encounter this. I don't really slam mags, I just insert them with purpose, because I don't believe in a second slap to the mag.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30075
My HK P30 used to auto forward most of the time. I really don't see a down side to this. The top round in the mag will get chambered, just as if you racked the slide yourself.
S&W M&P 9mm
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 61464
We have three M&P's. Personally, I like the slide slamming forward when inserting a new mag. It saves a bit of time and less chance for missing the release under stress.

The M&P trigger, out of the box, is is very gritty but does get better with use. Even the M&P Pro that I have is not very smooth, compared to my Glock 34 or my XDm.

However, my wife absolutely loves the gun and it is her favorite. I guess diferent strokes....
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Congrats on the new M&P!

Don't know if I'd care for the slide dropping w/a mag slam. Maybe it would be ok. I know my Shield does not do that, totally different gun though.
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28273
Just seat the magazine, don't slam it. In the 7 years I was a rifle and pistol coach in the Corps, I never saw anything good come from slapping the floor plate of a magazine-rifle or pistol.

Don't make me turn the CAPS lock on...
ghost--scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

issues, m&p, pistol, review, slide

Search tags for this page
buy m&p 9 houston
how does the m&p9 fety worksa
how many magazines does a m&p come with
how many magazines does m&p9 come with
m & p forum
m&p 9 auto forward
m&p auto feed forward

m&p forum

m&p forum gallery

m&p forums

m&p polish
m&p9 california loaded chamber indicator
m&p9 close slide maga insert
polishing an m&p9
slide for m&p 9c
slide mods m&p9
Click on a term to search for related topics.