• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.22LR for Self Defense

This is a discussion on .22LR for Self Defense within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by Bonehead if a .22LR if what you have, its better than nothing. also hits with a .22LR are better than misses with ...

View Poll Results: What is your primary carry caliber?
.22LR 1 0.78%
.22 MAG 0 0%
.25 ACP 0 0%
.380 ACP 8 6.20%
9 MM 57 44.19%
.38 SPC 5 3.88%
.357 SIG/MAG 3 2.33%
.40 SW 29 22.48%
.44 MAG 0 0%
.45 ACP/GAP 48 37.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
if a .22LR if what you have, its better than nothing. also hits with a .22LR are better than misses with a .44Magnum.

I would rather hit with a .44Magnum but things don't always go as you would rather have them.

I've seen this argument before, specifically the if a .22LR if what you have, its better than nothing.

Why would that be all you have?
If you are considering a weapon to have for self defense that won't be on the list of choices.
Cost? You can get a used 380, 38, or 9 for less than many 22's.
Cost to shoot? Maybe. But few folks put cost of ammo as a prime consideration in self defense.

And in the OPs instance...he's carrying two guns (so cost is not an issue I assume) and he shoots competitively (so ammo costs are not much concern).

Most people prolly feel if attacked they want the biggest, baddest whatever to defend themselves - be that a given caliber, rounds in the mag, baseball bat or bowling ball.

Chrono results -
Shot CCI minimag from a SW15-22 rilfe. CCI has on the box '1260fps' and these are HP, so 37gr I suppose, give or take 1gr. Avg FPS was 1247.

Now if we convert that to ftlbs of energy at the target we get 127ftlbs.
For comparison, a 9mm 125 at 1100 fps is gonna give you 319 - 2.5 times as much punch.
A 230 gr 45 at 900 fps does 413, 3.2 times what the 22LR does.
Whats you wants is a 357 mag. A 158 gr bullet traveling at 1450 fps hits with 737 ft lbs of energy. More than double the 9, nearly double the 45 and nearly 6 times what a 22LR does. You'll need all 30 rounds of 22out of that keltec or 6 out of a SW J frame.
Reload 9mm, 38spcl, 12g soon, 30-06
Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
I've seen this argument before, specifically the if a .22LR if what you have, its better than nothing.

If you are considering a weapon to have for self defense that won't be on the list of choices.
Cost to shoot? Maybe. But few folks put cost of ammo as a prime consideration in self defense.

And in the OPs instance...he's carrying two guns (so cost is not an issue I assume) and he shoots competitively (so ammo costs are not much concern).

Most people prolly feel if attacked they want the biggest, baddest whatever to defend themselves - be that a given caliber, rounds in the mag, baseball bat or bowling ball.

I have a buddy that all he can manage is a .410 Mossberg 500 and a used pre accu trigger MKII bolt action .22LR. the rifle seems quite nice and I am a bit jealous.

I spent a good bit of time trying to advise him on a 9mm and away from a .38 wheel gun. he keeps telling me 250 or less. so I am showing him a keltec that I think he is going to look at next time he is out shopping for guns.

I don't know if its HIM or his wife or what it is. he gets weird when I am talking capacity and reloads.

I try to impress him that its not about hunting or a range toy, its about preventing people from harming his family. he isn't a gun guy but he is working on it. he surprised me with his purchases or I would have tried to guide him a bit but I can't exactly say he did wrong.

they are both wife approved and she is willing to go shoot them with him. maybe in a while when their comfort level is higher they will move up but for now I tell him if that's what you have it will do. its better than what you had before.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 72933
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

Chrono results -
Shot CCI minimag from a SW15-22 rilfe. CCI has on the box '1260fps' and these are HP, so 37gr I suppose, give or take 1gr. Avg FPS was 1247.

Now if we convert that to ftlbs of energy at the target we get 127ftlbs.
For comparison, a 9mm 125 at 1100 fps is gonna give you 319 - 2.5 times as much punch.
A 230 gr 45 at 900 fps does 413, 3.2 times what the 22LR does.
Whats you wants is a 357 mag. A 158 gr bullet traveling at 1450 fps hits with 737 ft lbs of energy. More than double the 9, nearly double the 45 and nearly 6 times what a 22LR does. You'll need all 30 rounds of 22out of that keltec or 6 out of a SW J frame.
Well to be fair that Kel-Tec (my phone tries to autocorrect that to melted coincidence?) is 22 magnum so well just take the 40gr hornady v-max at 1950 FPS comes out to 340 ft lbs of muzzle energy. So your results are slightly off. But if the second round jams anyway the disadvantage is worse then you described.
1911 custom built was at some point Springfield
Henry 22LR Lever Action (favorite)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78170
A 22 is better than nothing. And can be lethal
Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic18d View Post
A 22 is better than nothing. And can be lethal
So is a stick with a nail in it, but it won't be my choice for SD either.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
So is a stick with a nail in it, but it won't be my choice for SD either.

If it was all you had, you'd use a .22.
Ruger P-90 .45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm (Primary Carry Gun)
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum
Beretta U22 Neos .22LR
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Windham Weaponry M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO
...and a few others

Don't Californicate Colorado
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #27
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulftanker View Post
If it was all you had, you'd use a .22.
That statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Why would one put themselves in a situation where it was all they had?

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 72933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

That statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Why would one put themselves in a situation where it was all they had?
Maybe you were at a rimfire shooting match on a cold range when all of the sudden terrorist go all jihad Allah Akbar on you.
1911 custom built was at some point Springfield
Henry 22LR Lever Action (favorite)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #29
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
If for some reason a .22 is all you got ( for what ever reason that's all you had) I'd say it's better than nothing IMO. The Mob used alot of .22's.

But in no way would it be my first chance if I had another!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
Old Timer

Member #: 71939
Well ,

I see both sides of this argument. I think .22's account for most murders in the USA (not 100% certain) , but I don't think there were many "stopped in their tracks" shoots with a .22 , most people die a few hours/days after being shot

I feel a .22LR is okay for self defense for a woman , but very far from ideal.

I wouldn't want to get shot with any round , but in the case of lawful self defense -- your drawing and shooting to stop/kill an attack that is putting your life in immediate danger.

That usually means someone has a gun and is going to kill you , or has a knife and is going to kill you. (usually)

So , in any lawful scenario -- your shooting to kill. The .22LR has hit humans in the head and everywhere else -- and bounced off (didn't break skin).

Would it stop a deadly threat ? It might --

But I would never , ever -- bet my life on .22LR. An attacker can keep attacking after being shot with a .45acp and that's true ...

BUT you have a MUCH better chance of stopping the threat with a .45ACP/.40/9mm then with a .22LR that potentially could hit an attacker and he wouldn't even realize it or even worse , it won't break the skin.

"what if's" are always going to be there , that doesn't change ballistics. And I've been in dangerous and potentially life or death scenarios and I can tell you one thing for sure ...

YOU LOOSE HALF YOUR SENSES ... EVEN REACHING IN YOUR WAIST BECOMES AN OVERWHELMING TASK .. Let alone taking a stance , aiming , and hitting your target -- anyone can shoot "amazing" at the range with a .22LR , but having a bad guy with a 9mm Glock 19 coming at you is going to definitely take away your .22 "perfection". And if I had a .22LR on my waist and am being approached by an armed B.G ..

I personally would not even draw , and just take my chances with giving my money up ...

I feel for women (who are less likely to be armed to a BG) a small .22 is a good thing to have ..

For a man ? No. No reason at all to CCW a .22LR as a primary.

It will stop a BG , but it could just piss off an ARMED B.G -- and you'll become the victim of his ".45ACP" greatness ..

And it's possible he will walk because you pulled your "accurate pinker" on him , and your not alive to tell your side of the story because you took a .45 round to the CNS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

.22lr, carry question, self defense, stopping power

Search tags for this page
.22lr for self defense
22lr power
22lr prim?r caliber
22lr stopping power
gsg ak-47 killing power

most powerful .22lr ammo

most powerful 22 ammo

most powerful 22lr ammo

multiple shots with a 22 stop attacker
self defense stopping power
why is 22lr out of stock everywhere
will 22lr stop an attacker
Click on a term to search for related topics.