• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

xdm m&p or ruger sr40

This is a discussion on xdm m&p or ruger sr40 within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; The M&P line should eventually share the new and better trigger found on the M&P SHIELD handgun, so if you want an M&P, wait. I ...

Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13881
The M&P line should eventually share the new and better trigger found on the M&P SHIELD handgun, so if you want an M&P, wait. I don't know when this will happen, if it indeed does.

The Ruger SR9 and 40 are very good affordable guns. They are not as "nice" compared to M&P's in terms of finish, but are durable, accurate, reliable, and good looking guns. The SR9c/40c seem be the slightly better than their full-size brothers for some reason, but not by much.

The XDM's are very nice, and worth a close look, despite being $50-100 more expensive.

My personal preference:

1, M&P
2. XDM
3. Ruger

"The gun control mentality is ruthlessly absurd."
-Alan Keyes
Captain Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77049
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E. Tx.XD View Post
#1 XD/m
#2 M&P
#3 SR

At the end of the day....you get what ya pay for.
^^ He is right!!

This M&P is a great pistol though.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78082
My opinion,

#1 xdm
#2 m&p
#3 ruger

I would go with the xdm too, but honestly, IMHO, the xds is the same as an xdm, but lighter and smaller. Same gear package, right down to the interchangeable back straps. You mentioned you can get the xdm 3.8 for $590, I paid $569 for the xds. And honestly, in a comparison, I shot a full mag out of my xds, then immediately picked up my friends xdm45 5.25" and shot it. And saw absolutely no difference inaccuracy or recoil. I was quite surprised. Also, I carried my XD40sc iwb for a long time until I got my xds, and, it really can get to be uncomfortable. That's just my 2 cents. Happy shopping!

Happy shopping.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

NRA member.
Poneill.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47244
There are a lot of options out there. I wouldn't necessarily narrow it down to these three. If you are set on a polymer striker fired gun, check out the FN FNS and the Steyr M40, Glock 22/23, Walther PPQ/P99.

I'm not much of a fan of the guns you've chosen. The xd/xdm trigger guard scrapes agains my finger (I have large hands), the M&P has a long, heavy trigger pull and long reset, and the Ruger has a gritty trigger, feels like you're pulling it through sand.
K.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 78180
I am definitely bias. I own the XDM 40 4.5 barrel, XDM 9mm compact and a .45 ACP compact and I love them all. Like you they feel great in my hand. With that said my next gun will most likely be a M&P. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Get what works for you and what you fire well, that is the most important in my opinion, good luck!
XDM .45 ACP
mmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77249
Every forum needs a "that guy" so....1911.
I have an xdm 4.5 and a m&p .40
There xdm is an amazing gun, extremely accurate, mag capacity, awesome weapon. I have never played with the 3.8 but I know when I carry it, it blows. Too big and heavy, the blockiness of the slide is a deal breaker, the m&p is awesome, needs some serious trigger work but I love it, it is a really slick gun, nothing to catch on, even the sights have been melted down, Its strange switching from a razor sharp defender to an impressive carry gun
Theconjuror2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70670
+1 for shopping around to find a better price on the XDm. I just liked the way the Xdm felt in my hand a little better, but it's all personal preference.
KTXdm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73182
To me it's all about feel in your hand and trigger release and the XDM and M&P are the best. In that order...

You won't go wrong with either.
Bushmaster Patrolman
15shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Arrow I'd put the SR over the M&P.

My buddy just got a SR40c, which I have to say is pretty sweet. Another buddy of mine has the M&P 45c, prefer my XD45c, and the SR40c over it. Don't have any experience with the XDm, but I would expect it to be a slightly better XD. I'd put the SR over the M&P though, but it really comes down to personal preference. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them. None of the above have ever had a malfunction, and fired hundreds of rounds, so I wouldn't hesitate to trust them.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Deer Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
I am with TX Xd......

Sure... am biased since I am an XDM owner.... but man, I just think it is the best of the breed with the extra mag capacity, feel (ergonomics), and general quality / upgrades.

My second choice would be the M&P, based on feel and price. I like them, and will look at getting the M&P9c for my wife when she is ready. My instructor LOVES the M&P and can't say enough good stuff about it.

The Ruger.... not even on my list..... just doesn't have the feel or standard features that would make me want to look at one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

m&p.40, opinions, ruger sr40, which one, xdm

Search tags for this page
m&p or ruger sr40
ruger sr 40 vs springfield xdm 40

ruger sr 40 vs xdm 40

ruger sr40 vs m&p 40
ruger sr40 vs smith and wesson m&p 40
ruger sr40 vs springfeild xd 40
ruger sr40 vs springfield xdm 40
ruger sr40c vs xdm 3.8 40 cal
s&w m&p40 vs ruger sr40

springfield xdm vs ruger sr40

sr 40 vs xdm 40

sr40 vs m&p 40

steyr .40 or smith and wesson m&p .40
xdm 40 vs mp 40 vs ruger sr 40

xdm 40 vs sr40

xdm vs sr40

Click on a term to search for related topics.