• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

380 ACP vs 9mm

This is a discussion on 380 ACP vs 9mm within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Hey I'm fairly new on here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My delima is this, my wife has a steel ...

Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71542
Question 380 ACP vs 9mm

Hey I'm fairly new on here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My delima is this, my wife has a steel framed 9mm and she can handle the recoil fairly well. we recently got our CHL's and she purchased a ruger LCR in .38spc she absolutely loves it but doesn't want to practice with it because it hurts her hand to shoot it. I would buy her a compact 9mm but I'm pretty sure she'd have the same problem. I know that a .380ACP doesn't have to power of the 9x19mm but I'd rather see her carry something small than nothing. my question is how does the felt recoil of a small .380 like the Sig P238 or ruger LCP compare to her .38spc revolver or her DP51 9mm.
NoisyCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Id put the .380 at a little bit shooting than the 9mm. But the .380 is just about DOUBLE the price of 9mm ammo and I doubt youd notice too much in the way of recoil between the 2. Id say a 9mm is quite a bit less recoil than a 38 spl. (depending on gun platform)
not to mention that even a compact .380 can have a considerable amount of recoil ie.. the smaller and the less weight the gun is, the more its gonna recoil. ID say an xd,xdm. or even an s&w m&p compact in 9mm would be just the ticket.
the ruger lcp is a single stack thin gun.. there not the most comfortable to shoot.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48119
The small .380's (LCP, TCP, Keltec, etc.) have quite of bit of snap to them , so she may not like them. THe Bersa .380's and Walther PPK are a little larger and are nicer to shoot, though the ammo can be expensive as oppose to the 9mm.
I'd take her out to the LGS and let her handle and if you can shoot some of the compacts availible. She may find a brand in 9mm she likes.
My wife had to find the gun that fit her and what she wanted for herself.

We defend our President with guns We defend our Congressmen with guns We defend our Governors with guns We defend banks with guns We defend our courts with guns,We defend our children with a sign that says THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE and then call someone with a gun if there's an emergency!
stuz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Old Timer

Member #: 65055
I have a TCP .380 and my old lady will not shoot it because of the recoil. But, she will shoot 9's, .45's and .38's till the cows come home.

~King Of Battle~
U.S. Army - 2007-2010
O.I.F. - 2008-2009
13-B Cannon Crewmember
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beretta M9
G17 Gen4 OD
HK 45C
Mosin Nagant 91/30, 1931 Hex
Remington 870 Tactical
SA XDS 4.0 9mm
Sig M11-A1-Desert
S&W 15 X-ray (5.56 milspec)

All sold in a tragic houseboat fire that sank.
SonOfOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

awesome thanks for the input on the snappy-ness of the smaller .380 guns I think I may look at something like the M&P shield or the XDs (when they release it in a 9mm) but ultimately will have to be her decision what feels best and what she likes. She almost bought a ruger LC9 when she got her LCR. She's also always liked the M&P compacts so that's another reason I was thinking I might see how she felt about the M&P shield
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyCricket View Post
awesome thanks for the input on the snappy-ness of the smaller .380 guns I think I may look at something like the M&P shield or the XDs (when they release it in a 9mm) but ultimately will have to be her decision what feels best and what she likes. She almost bought a ruger LC9 when she got her LCR. She's also always liked the M&P compacts so that's another reason I was thinking I might see how she felt about the M&P shield
Fyi. I have a m&p shield.... my wife dont care for it!( its a bit snappy for her) again its a small single stack= quite a bit more snap/recoil than my full size or compact m&p those 2 my wife can shoot all day. go for the compact if she like them! you wont be sorry. They fit your hand like a glove and have a easy felt recoil.
Id say the recoil in my shield is close to double my full size m&p.Both in 9mm.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61522
Wife doesn't like practicing with her LCR for the same reason. Wished I could have talked her into the 357 version, the extra weight might have helped.

I have a TCP 738 and a LC9. Wife hasn't had the chance to try either yet. In my experience, the LC9 actually does have less felt recoil than the smaller/lighter TCP. But the TCP is still definitely a marked improvement over the LCR. I just bought a Pachmayr grip for the TCP that should further reduce the recoil shock, but I have yet to range test it.

I was just a Wally's today. The Federal was about $17.50/50 9mm rounds and $12/50 .380 rounds.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 46082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcarlover View Post
Wife doesn't like practicing with her LCR for the same reason. Wished I could have talked her into the 357 version, the extra weight might have helped.

I have a TCP 738 and a LC9. Wife hasn't had the chance to try either yet. In my experience, the LC9 actually does have less felt recoil than the smaller/lighter TCP. But the TCP is still definitely a marked improvement over the LCR. I just bought a Pachmayr grip for the TCP that should further reduce the recoil shock, but I have yet to range test it.
Use wadcutters in the revolver. Not +P semi wadcutters.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Use wadcutters in the revolver. Not +P semi wadcutters.

I had just been using cheap fmj (not using +p) are the wadcutters a lower recoil cartrige? I thought it was basically just a standard load but with a flat nosed bullet.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70922
Try the Kahr cw9 its small and shoots great I love that gun.
bandit2910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

.380acp, 9mm, carry pistols, kelseyy, low recoil

Search tags for this page

.380 acp vs 9mm

.380 vs 9mm

380 acp

380 acp vs 9mm

380 acp vs 9mm recoil

380 vs 9mm

380 vs 9mm recoil
380acp vs 9mm
9mm vs .380 costs
9mm vs 380 acp
9mm vs 380 ammo price
9mm vs 380 recoil
compare the xd-9mm to a 380
cost difference between sig .380 and sig 9mm
is the recoil of a .380 much less than a 9mm
what is smaller than a 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.