• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDs vs. PPS?

This is a discussion on XDs vs. PPS? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I am looking to buy an new CCW, and Ive narrowed it down to these two... The Walther PPS in 40 cal, and the yet ...

Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67896
XDs vs. PPS?

I am looking to buy an new CCW, and Ive narrowed it down to these two... The Walther PPS in 40 cal, and the yet unreleased Springfield XDs in .45. They are very similar in size and I have never had a problem from either Walther or Springfield. One thing that comes to mind is the XDs is a brand new offering, and has yet to work any bugs out of it, and the Walther has been around for a bit. ??? Any thoughts?

Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50
Springfield Armory XDM9
Walther PPQ .40
Walther PPS .40 OD Green
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .38
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380
Beretta Tomcat .32
Bond Arms Derringer .45/.410
Smith & Wesson M&P15 MOE 5.56
Mossberg 500 12 ga
Browning X-Bolt .308
Marlin 1895 SBL .45/70
Ruger 10/22
GunguyLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 65800
I've fondled several PPS and thought the trigger felt pretty gritty. I understand that it would smooth with time, but the thing reminded me of my Dad's Taurus. Yuck.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 63302
Personally I like the .45 over 9 or .40. I would go with the XDs.
XDguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
I'd wait for the XDs.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 46251
I'd wait for the XDs in 9mm. It's got a punch in .45. Not uncontrollable, it goes straight back and it's easy to stay on target. But your hand'll hurt.

Although you will probably save on ammo shooting it less...

As far as which is nicer, the PPS or the XDs? It's a draw in my book. PRP will hopefully come out with a drop-in trigger, which will make that better than the PPS, but the PPS has the cocking indicator that got dropped from the XDs.

Right now, the Walther has more magazine, sight, and holster options; all that will no doubt be eclipsed by the XDs but it'll take time, so if you're in a hurry, then the PPS is probably the better decision. Pearce needs to get crackin' on a magazine extension for the XDs, because its grip is teensy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Everything dies. Die less.
Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23926
Had a PPS in 9mm. Wasnt a fan...go with the XDs

- Ronald Reagan
drs1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 65001
I love my PPS. Walther quality is pretty great and their recent line of products are fantastic. I am active member on Walther fourms and have a pretty good bit of knowledge on the PPS over time. It is true that the PPS has its bugs failry worked out, don't get me wrong, there will always be a chance of a lemon, but the PPS is fantastic. My trigger is very smooth but it took 200 rounds for it to smoothen out. After the 700-800 mark my trigger felt entirely different. I was surprised, even my girlfriend commented that she had a hard time staging the trigger because the pull was so much "different" (smooth and consistent). I undoubtedly got a good one. BB code or newer and you will get the updated "beefed up" slide lock. The chambering is the main thing you should gauge because I would argue highly that the PPS is as good as, if not better than the XDs will be in 9mm. This is speculation, but I am very confident with my firearm and I will continue to buy from Walther as a product. Several members over there convert from XDM's.

Suffice it so say, I don't think you could go wrong either way. The PPS started around the $700 mark and is now easily found for $486 + or - $20.
Whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67896
That's all some really good advice. Here's a little more for ya. For the last few months I've been dead set on a PPS in 40 cal. I currently carry a Bodyguard 380, and have been wanting to upgrade to a bigger, more powerful caliber. Enter PPS. I have fallen in love with my PPQ, and am pretty sure, a PPS is the same quality I'm looking for. I don't mind spending a little more, if the fit and finish is there. Also, I'm looking for something that is more powerful, but doesn't sacrifice too much in the size category to get there. So there I was, dead set on the PPS, and what happens? Springfield XDS. Same size and width as the pps, and yet another step up from 40 to 45 cal. Granted at the expense of 1 round, but XDS is new, and I'm sure a plus one grip extender is already in the works. Question, I know the PPS just comes with one mag, and the extra mags are nowhere near cheap. Does anyone know how the XDS is packaged? If its anything like my XDM, that might be the decision right there. My XDM came with 3 mags, a holster, a mag pouch, bullet loader, three backstraps and I caught the gear up from springfield and got two more mags and another mag pouch. If that is how the XDS will come, I will just have to wait until I can locate one. Any more info is greatly appreciated!

Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50
Springfield Armory XDM9
Walther PPQ .40
Walther PPS .40 OD Green
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .38
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380
Beretta Tomcat .32
Bond Arms Derringer .45/.410
Smith & Wesson M&P15 MOE 5.56
Mossberg 500 12 ga
Browning X-Bolt .308
Marlin 1895 SBL .45/70
Ruger 10/22
GunguyLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 65001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunguyLarkin View Post
That's all some really good advice. Here's a little more for ya. For the last few months I've been dead set on a PPS in 40 cal. I currently carry a Bodyguard 380, and have been wanting to upgrade to a bigger, more powerful caliber. Enter PPS. I have fallen in love with my PPQ, and am pretty sure, a PPS is the same quality I'm looking for. I don't mind spending a little more, if the fit and finish is there. Also, I'm looking for something that is more powerful, but doesn't sacrifice too much in the size category to get there. So there I was, dead set on the PPS, and what happens? Springfield XDS. Same size and width as the pps, and yet another step up from 40 to 45 cal. Granted at the expense of 1 round, but XDS is new, and I'm sure a plus one grip extender is already in the works. Question, I know the PPS just comes with one mag, and the extra mags are nowhere near cheap. Does anyone know how the XDS is packaged? If its anything like my XDM, that might be the decision right there. My XDM came with 3 mags, a holster, a mag pouch, bullet loader, three backstraps and I caught the gear up from springfield and got two more mags and another mag pouch. If that is how the XDS will come, I will just have to wait until I can locate one. Any more info is greatly appreciated!
Good clarification on where you are comming from.

Firstly, the PPS comes with a 7 and 8 rounder and the extra magazines can be had for around $38 on this website, when in stock, and, generally they are, although they are out now (G&R Tactical). Generally they run for a little more and can be more readily had. Inside the box is also a standard lock and the "large" backstrap.

As far as magazine extensions on the XDs, knowing the springfield XD market, I am sure they will have something in the works at the very latest when the XDs is on shelves.

I would almost recommend the PPS on the fact that you use, and enjoy, your PPQ so much.. I say this because simplifying/consolidating your carry systems is always a good idea.

I think it is going to come down to whether or not you want .40 over a .45 and, like I said, I think either way you will be happy. Life is good when your choice at hand is deciding which of those two pistols you want to buy .
Whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 66571
if a round is chambered, the gun should be cocked, so I can understand why you don't need a cocked indicator on the new xds

I vote for system simplicity, if you carry other walthers/german pistols with the trigger guard mag release, stick with it. if you carry guns with button mag releases and grip safeties, stick with them.

I will try my best to keep my xdm45c as my edc, but if I ever need something smaller, I will eventually have an xd9sc and an xds I can go to, KISS

also, the pps is listed at the same height as the xds, but that's with the flush, 5 round .40 and 6 round 9mm mags, that don't come with the gun.
cjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

pps, springfield, walther, xds

Search tags for this page

pps vs xds

pps vs xds 9mm
springfield armory xds vs walther pps

springfield xds vs walther pps

walther pps 9mm vs xds 9mm

walther pps vs springfield xds

walther pps vs springfield xds 9mm

walther pps vs xds

walther pps vs xds 9mm
walther pps vs. springfield xds
xds 9mm vs pps
xds 9mm vs walther pps
xds or walther pps
xds v pps

xds vs pps

Click on a term to search for related topics.