• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDs vs. PPS?

This is a discussion on XDs vs. PPS? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; My $.02, for what it's worth: I was totally in love with my XDM 40, but needed a single stack for EDC. After an unsuccessful ...

Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60252
My $.02, for what it's worth:

I was totally in love with my XDM 40, but needed a single stack for EDC. After an unsuccessful attempt at carrying a Kahr, I stumbled on the PPS. I loved it, and still do, but after shooting it enough to become proficient, I found myself struggling to eject a mag quickly from my XDM, because I'd become accustomed to the trigger guard release on the PPS. To make the story short, I sold the XDM, and replaced it with a PPS, just for simplicity and consistency sake.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again. As much as I wish SA had come out with their XDS earlier, I'm really liking the advantages of the Walther platform (better ambi functionality, availability of .40, so I can keep to one caliber, as good, or possibly even better shooting than my XDM). No clue what the XDS will be like; I wouldn't want to add another caliber to my stock, so I'd be waiting for the .40 to be released, then there's the potential for new model bugs, things just not "working" right, making it harder to handle, etc.

The PPS is proven, and available. How many mags do you need for an EDC?
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69217
I'd wait for the XDs......I didn't like the feel of the PPS in my hand....
ptwoody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
My primary carry pistol is a PPS in 9mm. I like it a lot other than the "non-standard" magazine release. By "non-standard" I mean it is different from every other semi-automatic pistol that I own. The magazine release for the PPS, if you're not aware, is integrated into the trigger guard. Certainly, there are other semi-auto pistols that utilize this type of release but none of my other pistols do. When the XDs is available in .40 or 9mm with more carrying capacity, it may very well replace my PPS.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 38391
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunguyLarkin View Post
Does anyone know how the XDS is packaged?
The XD-S will come with 2 mags, mag holder, holster, a couple of backstraps, and a carry case.
Gigantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 65001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwoody1 View Post
I'd wait for the XDs......I didn't like the feel of the PPS in my hand....
Out of curiosity, did you try the PPS with either backstrap and/or a grip?

Many who own the PPS do not care for the grip without an added grip, be it hogue or limbsaver. It COMPLETELY changes the feel of the gun.
Whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 66571
I think the trigger guard mag release is easier than a button. It's lighter, quick, and I can reach it more easily. But I love .45 and walther won't provide.
cjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 7595
Have a PPS and love it, but don't carry it anymore due to the funky trigger guard mag release.

Switching to the XDS for "lazy day" EDC as soon as I get my hands on one for two reasons ( well three really)

A) Button mag release just like all my other handguns
(except the PPS)
B) Grip safety, just one more layer of safety, and an invisible one at that when operating the gun.
C) .45, I'm not a big caliber debate junky, but if I can carry 6 rnds of 45 in dang near the same package as 6 of 9, im carrying 6 of 45.
( Now if were talking 12-15 rds of 9 vs 6-8 of 45, thats different. )

Prov 21:15,16
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.

mtcraigco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcraigco View Post
C) .45, I'm not a big caliber debate junky, but if I can carry 6 rnds of 45 in dang near the same package as 6 of 9, im carrying 6 of 45.
( Now if were talking 12-15 rds of 9 vs 6-8 of 45, thats different. )
I'm going to wait and see what Springfield does, if anything, with the XDs in .40 and 9mm. If they come out in the same capacity as the PPS, that's probably the way I'll go. I'm not a big caliber debater either, but all my other CC pistols are either .40 or 9mm.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 7595
^^^ 9mm, 45, 357Sig here
Love the 357Sig, M&Pc in 357Sig is my other EDC

Prov 21:15,16
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.

mtcraigco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 66571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
I'm going to wait and see what Springfield does, if anything, with the XDs in .40 and 9mm. If they come out in the same capacity as the PPS, that's probably the way I'll go. I'm not a big caliber debater either, but all my other CC pistols are either .40 or 9mm.
if? I can't imagine that the xds would have less rounds than the pps 6 round mag, since they should be the same size, given the identical height of the gun. That would be a shame if the 9mm ends up being a 5 round mag instead of 6, actually 6 rounds is still a shame when you can have 5 bigger bullets, or get an 8 round mag for the pps, or the 10 round mag in the xd9sc that's barely thicker/heavier, but shorter in the barrel. I can't see how springfield can win with the xds in smaller calibers, which i bet is why the .45 came first
cjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

pps, springfield, walther, xds

Search tags for this page
pps
pps 9mm vs xds 9mm

pps vs xds

pps vs xds 9mm

springfield xds vs walther pps

walther pps 9mm vs xds 9mm

walther pps vs springfield xds

walther pps vs springfield xds 9mm

walther pps vs xds

walther pps vs xds 9mm
xds 9mm vs pps
xds 9mm vs walther pps
xds v pps
xds versus pps

xds vs pps

Click on a term to search for related topics.