• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ruger 22/45 Mark III 5.5"...add me to the list...

This is a discussion on Ruger 22/45 Mark III 5.5"...add me to the list... within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; ...both lists...one is being a new owner, the other of being beaten by the field stripping. Well, I think my mistake is slightly different than ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » Ruger 22/45 Mark III 5.5"...add me to the list...

Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62919
Ruger 22/45 Mark III 5.5"...add me to the list...

...both lists...one is being a new owner, the other of being beaten by the field stripping.

Well, I think my mistake is slightly different than the usual. I've read the manual, watched every youtube vid out there, different threads, etc. I can get it apart and back together, but my problem is the magazine won't secure in. The trigger action and everything seems to be working properly, but I can't get the magazine to snap in...so obviously I messed something up.

Any ideas or threads I should look at related to this? The various troubleshooting threads and the manual portion on that don't mention the magazine issue...

Thanks for any input!
gecko0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43234
I had to watch and pause a youtube video to get mine to go back together. I had to hold the gun upside side and then insert the mag to get the back spring to work correctly. Worst gun to field strip, easy one you figure it out.
Mustang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64181
I have consumed many beers to prevent my Ruger from sailing across the room upon reassembly attempts. Somewhat belies my engineering degree.
If you removed the barrelled action from frame, sounds as if it is not completely back into place. Sometimes requires many smart strikes with a nylon, rubber, or other non-marring hammer prior to installing bolt group.

Good luck!
XDmWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62984
Don't have the 22/45 MKIII and looked online to find directions for taking it down. Nothing really mentioned in the takedown that involves actually messing with the mag catch at all. What exactly is the issue with yours? Magazine doesn't go into the magwell at all or goes in and doesn't latck/lock into place? Did you take the magazines apart?? The magazine follower button belongs on the left side (it will install on either side) or it won't go into the magwell......maybe your issue?
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 38424
Was talking to the GS owner the other day on the MKIII 22/45. Mentioned to him that I heard there a pita to break down. He said yea there tough till you get used to it. He also said shoot 1000 rounds through it and just run a bore snake down the barrel before you try to do it. Said they really do not need a lot of fussin with for them to shoot well.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47477
I feel your pain i remember the first time i tried to strip mine it took me forever to get it back together. I also had to watch the youtube videos stop rewind pause lol. Like Bluto said i have put hundreds of rounds through it and have only run a patch down it and it still fires every time.
gettle70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62984
The biggest issue I think with them is usually getting the hammer strut lined up correctly before swinging the mainspring housing into place. The hammer has to be forward in the fired position too, so you may have to pull on the trigger while wiggling the pistol aimed straight down to get gravity to work the hammer into the fired position (need the magazine in if it's a MKIII) . If the bolt comes partially out and cocks the hammer you need to get it uncocked/in the fired position before you continue with reinstalling the mianspring housing.

The hammer strut just floats willy nilly in there and if you don't pay attention to where it's at, you missalign the two parts (strut and mainspring housing). I always aim the pistol up at a 60 degree angle up (like I'm shooting up high ) and wiggle the gun around to make sure gravity is aligning the strut with the mainspring as I swing it up into place. You should feel a little springiness just as the mainspring housing fully seats.....that springiness is from the strut hitting the sweet spot on the mainspring housing.......if the mainspring housing falls in below flush with no pressure, it ain't aligned!! The MKIII pistols make you install the magazine to defeat the magazine disconnect, otherwise pulling the trigger won't allow the hammer to go into the fired position that it needs to be in for disassembly as well as reassembly.
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
If you look in the owners manual that comes with the pistol, it tells you EXACTLY how to re-assemble the thing. Follow it TO THE LETTER and your pistol will go back every time. Deviate from it one bit and forget it.

Seriously, for the first 5-6 years of owning my 22-45, I literally had to get out that manual and follow it...or the thing would NOT go together. Now, I can do it in my sleep.

There is a company that makes a device called the "Speed Strip Kit" or something like that, which installs on your 22-45 or MkII and allows quick take down and re-assembly.

Here it is:

Speed Strip Kit

The 22-45 is a great pistol. Accurate and very reliable and it comes apart very easy. However, it does NOT go back together as easy (which has always seemed weird to me).

Enjoy it...they're great shooters and mine has not given a lick of trouble in over 10 years.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I own one too, definitely worst weapon I have ever had to break down, the good news is it rarely needs cleaning!

I broke down and bought this kit, now it's one of the easiest to take apart!
DrFrankenRuger - Ruger Mark ii iii Pistol Accessories
Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Don't have the 22/45 MKIII and looked online to find directions for taking it down. Nothing really mentioned in the takedown that involves actually messing with the mag catch at all. What exactly is the issue with yours? Magazine doesn't go into the magwell at all or goes in and doesn't latck/lock into place? Did you take the magazines apart?? The magazine follower button belongs on the left side (it will install on either side) or it won't go into the magwell......maybe your issue?
The issue with mine is the magazine doesn't fully seat, even with a good amount of force (I don't want to use too much, of course). I did not take the magazine(s) apart or do any kind of detailed field strip...just the basic steps.

Thank you for all the responses. I will have to keep trying it from scratch...I thought I did follow each step exactly as all the videos (and manual) detail, including the holding at angles/upside down, trigger tricks, etc, but clearly I'm missing something. I hope I didn't mess something up early on and am now actually doing it right!

I did check out a new one in the case at a local shop and the magazine worked as expected. This is just frustrating because I haven't even shot this yet since buying it. The Speed Strip Kit may also be in my future...thank you for sharing that link!
gecko0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

22/45, ruger

Search tags for this page
22/45 accessories
22/45 magazine not seating
field strip ruger 22/45
magazine hard to seat on ruger mark iii 22/45
ruger 22 45 extended slide release
ruger 22/45 magazine
ruger 22/45 magazine catch

ruger 22/45 magazine not seating

ruger 22/45 magazine problem

ruger 22/45 magazine problems

ruger 22/45 manual
ruger 22/45 vs mark iii
ruger mark iii 22/45 magazine catch
ruger mark iii forum
ruger mkiii 22/45 mag seating
Click on a term to search for related topics.