• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Glock or FNX

This is a discussion on Glock or FNX within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Morning Guys n Girls, I am looking to add to my collection, but thought I would ask a few of you about your experiences with ...

Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63973
Question Glock or FNX

Morning Guys n Girls,
I am looking to add to my collection, but thought I would ask a few of you about your experiences with Glocks and FNX 40 SW. Gonna look for a range around here to rent them first , I know they're both good and reliable , but FN has the eye candy. Both 40 cal. at this point.

Thanks ahead
birda40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Haven't shot an FNX, but I've shot an FNP...it's a good handgun, but I'm really not that big of a fan of DA/SA pistols anymore.

Spend a little trigger time with both of 'em and get what works best for you would be my advice.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28273
Apples and oranges. I'm a DA/SA kinda guy and love my FNP40, I carry it all the time. Not a huge fan of Glocks. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, they obviously get the job done, I just don't like the way they feel. I don't need to do anything to my FNP40 to get the trigger or gun functioning the way I want to.

Don't make me turn the CAPS lock on...
ghost--scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63615
I've had a Glock 21C for a long time - it's an utterly reliable, if ugly, handgun.
Rocky Mountain Gun Owners Association
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Don't Kalifornicate Colorado! (Too Late)
gischileu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 62703
I've owned a gen 4 g19 and a gen 4 g17. The 19 was nice, couldn't stand the hump...tried the 17. It was excellent...shot extremely well...when it would shoot. I just had alot of trouble out of the recoil spring which is extremely common on the first gen4 9mms.

The FNX...I have no experience with the .40. I owned an FNP, and my partner currently carries his FNX9 on duty. It shoots extremely well. It does have a high bore axis, but isn't unmanageable. Decent sights. Nice SA trigger. Normal DA. I DO NOT LIKE THIS GUN though. The reason why, is that it just has too much going on for my liking. I'm a lefty, so ambi is nice...ambi mag release, ambi slide lock, ambi safety/decocker...there is just too much crap going on on this gun for my liking. The decocker/safety is too dang big for me. I'll either decock it due to recoil, or I can't unsafe the gun cause the lever hits the knuckle of my trigger finger...cool gun with a cool idea...but there is just too much.

And the back strap system sucks. Its a little junky plastic pin thing...his broke within 1000 rounds. He had to choose the backstrap he liked and glue it on.

My advice...if you must get one, either get a gen3 glock, or get an FNP.
M69 .22 trainer rifle
Xd9ccsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49431
I owned a FNP-45 for about six months. I really liked the gun when I got it, but the longer I had it, the less I liked it. First of all, it's somewhat difficult to find holsters and magazines for it. I believe the 9mm and .40 mags are more available, but are still more expensive than Glock mags. I believe I paid over $50 for FNP-45 mags.

The grip texture really hurt my hand at the 50rnd mark. The 9mm and 40 might be a bit better because of the smaller grip width. I was also having constant jamming problems. The nose of the round always seemed to get stuck on the top of the chamber. After about 500 rounds through it, it didn't get any better.

The quality of the gun wasn't bad, but it definitely was not up to Glock and XD standards. The plastic frame felt incredibly thin compared to Glock and XDs. The FN handguns also use MIM parts.

I wanted to send the gun in for service, but FNUSA said that it would take about two months to get it back. Apparently their service used to be better, but due to budget cuts, the main service manager was asked to leave.

I used to like DA/SA guns, but I'm really not a fan of them anymore.

I'd highly suggest getting a Glock or something else besides an FNX/FNP. I know anyone can have a bad experience with a handgun, but it's essential to have a local smith or a good CS center who can work on it.
mattwestm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Im a sucker for an exposed hammer. I vote fnx!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63973
Wow, got some horror stories here ! Research and testing here I come
birda40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55116
Between the two I would choose the Glock. I know many like the FNX but there are a few things about it that I have issues with. The grip texturing is very rough and chews up your hand. Maybe I have a problem with using too strong of a grip but after 100 rounds you can definitely tell. Besides the texturing, the grip itself just felt off to me. I am built like a bear and have paws to match so that may have something to do with it. Honestly though, the biggest issue is availability of parts and accessories. This is one area where the Glock has a pretty overwhelming advantage, but then again, Glock has this advantage over pretty much every other semi with the exception of the 1911. Finally, the FNX just felt a little cheap. I don't know how else to describe it but when I hold my Glock, XDm, or even the M&P my mother sold, they feel like they are well built and will last. I'm sure the FNX isn't junk but it didn't have the same feeling of quality, at least not the quality you would expect of a $500 pistol. Then again, this is just my opinion and is worth about as much as you paid for it.
mixednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixednuts View Post
The grip texturing is very rough and chews up your hand.

Finally, the FNX just felt a little cheap. I don't know how else to describe it but when I hold my Glock, XDm, or even the M&P my mother sold, they feel like they are well built and will last.
Definitely my two biggest gripes with the FNP-45. It was a nice pistol, but I'm glad I traded it for a G30SF.
mattwestm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
fn fnx vs glock
fnx 40 vs glock 22

fnx 40 vs glock 23

fnx 40 vs glock 23 gen 4
fnx 45 vs glock 21
fnx 45 vs glock 21 gen 4
fnx 9 vs glock 19
fnx 9mm vs glock 17
fnx 9mm vs glock 19

fnx vs glock

fnx vs glock vs xdm
glock 19 vs fnx 9
glock 23 vs fnx 40
glock 30 vs fnx 45
glock or fnx

glock vs fnx

Click on a term to search for related topics.