• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New S&W M&P Add

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P Add within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Has anybody seen the new M&P add that totally knocks the XD and Glock, outright saying its the superior of the three. What are everyones ...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54278
New S&W M&P Add

Has anybody seen the new M&P add that totally knocks the XD and Glock, outright saying its the superior of the three. What are everyones opinions of this type of marketing. The add pictures parts from all three guns and then has and a comparison of parts that reads like this
M&P Glock gen 4 Xd(m)
Palm swell grips Y N N

Ambidextrous Slide stop Y N N

Embedded Stainless
Stell Chasis Y N N

Ambidextrous Thumb
Safety Y N N

Country Of
Manufacture USA Austria Croatia

To me non of these features even matter. The Xd(m) and Glock Gen 4 have interchangeable back straps which work just find.
Ambi Slide Stop not a lefty don't need it.
Stell Chasis, well my Xd trigger blocks seem to work just find so whats the point.
Ambi thumb safety??? well we don't really need a thumb safety on a Xd, XD(m) or glock do we? Well the glock might need one.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55116
Quote:
Originally Posted by agould27 View Post
Has anybody seen the new M&P add that totally knocks the XD and Glock, outright saying its the superior of the three. What are everyones opinions of this type of marketing. The add pictures parts from all three guns and then has and a comparison of parts that reads like this
M&P Glock gen 4 Xd(m)
Palm swell grips Y N N

Ambidextrous Slide stop Y N N

Embedded Stainless
Stell Chasis Y N N

Ambidextrous Thumb
Safety Y N N

Country Of
Manufacture USA Austria Croatia

To me non of these features even matter. The Xd(m) and Glock Gen 4 have interchangeable back straps which work just find.
Ambi Slide Stop not a lefty don't need it.
Stell Chasis, well my Xd trigger blocks seem to work just find so whats the point.
Ambi thumb safety??? well we don't really need a thumb safety on a Xd, XD(m) or glock do we? Well the glock might need one.
Eh, marketing is marketing. They're doing their job by pointing out what some may perceive as advantages to the platform.

Ambi safty/slide stop? Thats a huge bonus for left handed people and those worried about their shooting hand becoming injured in a firefight.

The palm swells are a pretty nice design that adjust both the width and thickness of the grip.

The steel skeleton in the frame? Not that big of a deal to be honest. It may be a selling point for some but there are thousands of polymer pistols out there that don't have that feature and are perfectly fine.

Every gun has its pro's and con's and it's the job of marketing to focus on the good things of the platform. I doubt you would find an add from S&W that went like this...

"Tactile" trigger - Gives the feeling of pulling a boat oar through quicksand. The grit lets you know its working!

Ambi slide release - When the left one snaps off you can still use the right one!

"Gambler" barrel - Not only did we use a rate of twist that isn't optimized for 9mm but we also added to the experience by using barrels that have a chance of switching from combat accuracy to shotgun-like spreads at 25 yards. You won't know if you have a good one till 4k rounds which adds to the fun!

See? An add like that probably wouldn't help their bottom line much. Once again, no gun is perfect and every gun has it's strengths. Personally, I'm happy with my XDm but I would not turn down an M&P if given the opportunity to buy one.
mixednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 45898
They're trolling for M&P fanboys. No worries.

"There are millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period." - Ted Nugent

"And now," Jesus said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
GhostDog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
Funny they don't mention the XD's grip safety, XDm interchangeable backstraps, striker indicator, loaded chamber indicator, or trigger safety....of which the M&P has none. The M&P is a great gun, but to compare it feature for feature against the XD it will lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44924
The marketing people need to do some research.

The XDm and Gen4 Glock both have interchangeable grips.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean82 View Post
Funny they don't mention the XD's grip safety, XDm interchangeable backstraps, striker indicator, loaded chamber indicator, or trigger safety....of which the M&P has none. The M&P is a great gun, but to compare it feature for feature against the XD it will lose.

We all know this (now). But, when I was in the market for my first firearm, I didn't know squat. So, being uneducated and looking at said ad, I probably would have been swayed toward the M&P. I'd probably be pretty happy with it and never know of what the XD had to offer.

And that's who they're aiming for, the guys who are looking to buy a gun and don't know a lot of about them.

Thankfully I was directed toward XD's by my brother.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
sgtfiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52538
Yeah, the other marketing ploy is used by the local sporting goods dealers, the fact that so many police Dept's use the S&W M&P's but fail to mention that pricing contracts practically give them away, they can say the weapon is so good that "X" number of police Dept's use them, why wouldn't you? Which then they hope to make the real money on the private sale consumer end, at much higer prices, THe pitch sounds reasonable, but objectively the weapons could be total crap, what kind of accountant really takes into consideration field issues when the bottom line is bucks? I agree that the XD's have far better features as has been mentioned in the previous thread posts...I have no remorse for buying my XD...or concern for contracting the famed Glock leg syndrome....
spudthegreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 49730
As with any marketing ploy, they only hit on what they believe their product excells at above the others. However, they did fail at even that...um, backstraps are on all 3 as NewBlackDak pointed out.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55371
These kinds of ads always make me think like this.
You will buy this pistol because we spent money on ads rather than our product. It could have been improved with this and that but we think this ad will help save your life in a dangerous situation- Y N N

I do actually like M&Ps quite a lot, but the trigger needs work, not the ads.

Last edited by TriviaMonster; 04-27-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Because I am crunk on power
TriviaMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
The XDm and Glock gen4 have interchangeable backstraps but they just stick out of the back. The interchangeable "palmswell" grips on the M&P actually fill your hand by going around the side of the frame. I think that's the point they were trying to make when they put out that ad. I won't knock the XDm or Glock because I think they're great guns, but IMHO the M&P is a superior design. I see no need for a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, or a striker indicator. I can see why some like those features though. At the end of the day they're all great guns and people should choose the one they are most comfortable with.
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

add, glock gen 4, m&p, xd(m)

Search tags for this page
how to pick the right palm swell for m&p
looking for smith and wesson m&p 9mm&compact models for comparison

m&p advertisement

m&p and xd

m&p chamber indicator

m&p loaded chamber indicator

m&p palm swell for sale

m&p palm swells

m&p palm swells for sale

s&w m&p palm swells

smith and wesson m&p add ons

smith and wesson m&p ambidextrous

smith and wesson m&p police departments

springfield armory advertisements

springfield armory xds size comparison

springfield xds vs m&p

Click on a term to search for related topics.