• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New S&W M&P Add

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P Add within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by Learn2turn I have never heard about this, please tell me more. Do you have any links? What should I google to read ...

Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #31
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn2turn View Post
I have never heard about this, please tell me more. Do you have any links? What should I google to read more?
This thread describes the issue. I don't remember which page it starts on though.

What exactly is wrong with the M&P's - M4Carbine.net Forums

But you know what? I'd still like a M&P and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one (my mother is buying a 9c tomorrow actually). When a product become mass produced on this kind of scale there are bound to be issues and sometimes you get a bad egg. Of course the XD platform doesn't have any issues like this that I am aware of but it doesn't mean there isn't a lemon every now and then.
mixednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #32
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixednuts View Post
This thread describes the issue. I don't remember which page it starts on though.

What exactly is wrong with the M&P's - M4Carbine.net Forums

But you know what? I'd still like a M&P and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one (my mother is buying a 9c tomorrow actually). When a product become mass produced on this kind of scale there are bound to be issues and sometimes you get a bad egg. Of course the XD platform doesn't have any issues like this that I am aware of but it doesn't mean there isn't a lemon every now and then.
I read through that thread a few days ago actually. I noticed a guy mentioned having accuracy issues after 15,000 rounds. It appears most of the guys over there actually like the M&P a lot. I personally have close to 7,000 rounds through my M&P9c and have never had a single issue and find it to be extremely accurate. I shoot with quite a few guys who run M&P's and have never heard a complaint especially as far as accuracy goes. A lot of which have 20,000 rounds+ through their guns. Another thing is, internet forums are a place where a lot people go when they want to complain and a lot to just troll. The majority of M&P owners aren't hanging out on forums, they're out enjoying their guns.
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52538
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot so I have no need for the grip safety. Except for on a 1911 I see no benefit for it. I find the loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator useless since I always know if my gun is loaded or not. I don't need to be superman to know that lol. It's called being responsible and having common sense.
Commons sense is always the best deterrent to accidents happening, but think of the possibilities, someone else has your gun for whatever reason, (they pull it off of you, steal it from your car, coat whatever, then they point it at you or your wife and you can see that the chamber indicator is not up, this gives you an opportunity to do something because you know something that the other guy doesn't know. There is just a million things and situations that of course cannot be thought out before hand, but extra information (like the striker pin and chamber indicator or back strap safety) may be something that ends up having benefit.
spudthegreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #34
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23926
I like my M&P 40. I had a trigger job done on mine and it made a little bit of a difference. The only problem I've had with mine is light surface rust on the slide. I can always get it off, but it always comes back. I plan on hard chroming the slide anyways so I'm not extremely concerned.

- Ronald Reagan
drs1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #35
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudthegreater View Post
Commons sense is always the best deterrent to accidents happening, but think of the possibilities, someone else has your gun for whatever reason, (they pull it off of you, steal it from your car, coat whatever, then they point it at you or your wife and you can see that the chamber indicator is not up, this gives you an opportunity to do something because you know something that the other guy doesn't know. There is just a million things and situations that of course cannot be thought out before hand, but extra information (like the striker pin and chamber indicator or back strap safety) may be something that ends up having benefit.
If someone manages to get my gun away from me I already know its going to be loaded. I'm not hating on the features by any means, I just personally see no need for them. I can understand why some like them and that was probably the major deciding factor in buying a XD/XDm for most owners. A buddy of mine that I shoot with most often is a pretty die hard XD guy. He also really enjoys shooting my M&P's and the main reason he hasn't switched is because it has no grip safety. Seems kind of silly to me but to each their own...
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52538
In all honesty I have never shot an M&P, and I don't want to come off like I have, but these features are something I had never experienced in a gun before, and I like em. I don't always recall with complete clarity of mind Exactly everything that I did with my gun from one day to the next or week to the next for that matter. Sometimes after shooting it, I lay it aside with no ammo in it, don't always clean it the same day I fire it, and sometimes after shooting it, i slap a mag in it with defense hollow points for ccw until I do get it home and get around to cleaning it up. There are times when I just put in an empty mag because I shot everything I had. My point is I don't have a rigid routine that I am religious about, If I put my hand in my vest and feel the end of the slide and feel the striker pin, i know its cocked, if I put my hand over the top of the slide i can feel the chamber load indicator is up and then I know if I had it locked and loaded or if I just put in an empty mag and nothing is in it...I don't have to take it out and visually open the chamber when I am in a wal mart or whatever wondering, "hey did I load it with anything last time I was at the range or did i leave it empty this time?" so those features have actually been helpful, if for nothing else just answering questions that pop up in my mind and being able to answer them without brandishing a weapon....
spudthegreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
I read through that thread a few days ago actually. I noticed a guy mentioned having accuracy issues after 15,000 rounds. It appears most of the guys over there actually like the M&P a lot. I personally have close to 7,000 rounds through my M&P9c and have never had a single issue and find it to be extremely accurate. I shoot with quite a few guys who run M&P's and have never heard a complaint especially as far as accuracy goes. A lot of which have 20,000 rounds+ through their guns. Another thing is, internet forums are a place where a lot people go when they want to complain and a lot to just troll. The majority of M&P owners aren't hanging out on forums, they're out enjoying their guns.
I know the M&P is a great pistol. I wouldn't have suggested it to my mother otherwise. I've also mentioned multiple times that I would like to have one of my own in the near future. I was just using that thread as an example. Both I and you know that the majority of M&P's will probably run their course of life without any major issue, but just like with any firearm they are not perfect.

At any rate, I take what a lot of those guys say with a grain of salt. If you do a search for threads about the XD/XDm the popular opinion is that they are crap and are commonly referred to as "bubba guns". Of course most of the members who have this opinion never owned one and got their opinion from an instructor who didn't like it because of the grip safety, or they cite that no LE agencies use them so they must be crap. Now you can make the argument that LE agencies do not choose a weapon based on cost or readily available parts and that they chose the best quality firearms period, but then I guess you would also have to say that the Ford Crown Victoria is the best car ever because the majority of PD's use those too. The members that actually do own them for the most part like them and say they are perfectly reliable.

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there. The point is I visit that site for whatever info I can gather, but I do not take the common opinion as fact. That I would rather determine for myself.
mixednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #38
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 36123
My SA Fully loaded target 1911, being my first gun I bought cause of all the extras vs. a Mil spec SA. I too would have bought a M&P cause being a lefty, the ambi slide release would appeal to me. Same thing happened with my XDM9 vs. a XD9 tact. as my 2nd gun, it looked cool and had the extra features so I bought it. I think that veterans of gun buying know what to buy and how to research it and compare it evenly with competitors. I think its more of an appeal to new shooters. Any gun is better than no gun...

Pt 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

How to: Duracoat your XDM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Rebirth of a XDM

When it comes to war, it's not about who's right....but who's left.........
vash_241987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #39
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 71003
In 10 days I'll be able to perform a comparison. I'm currently shooting an M&P full sized .40 in USPSA and have an XDm 5.25 comp .40 in bound.... I'll post a critique.
XDm Comp. 5.25" .40
Smith and Wesson M&P .40 4.25"
Remington 870 Express Tactial

Custom Build AR-15 for 3 gun comp.
Kalaikanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #40
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67622
Well I really like my XD 40 and the way it feels in my hands. I had purchased a M&P 9mm compact and after many times at he range I just didn't like the way it felt to me. Sold it to a friend. My XD is a keeper and about my favorite gun to shoot.

Riding my Harley is like being on a journey that never wants to end
nwmarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

add, glock gen 4, m&p, xd(m)

Search tags for this page
how to pick the right palm swell for m&p
looking for smith and wesson m&p 9mm&compact models for comparison

m&p advertisement

m&p and xd

m&p chamber indicator

m&p loaded chamber indicator

m&p palm swell for sale

m&p palm swells

m&p palm swells for sale

s&w m&p palm swells

smith and wesson m&p add ons

smith and wesson m&p ambidextrous

smith and wesson m&p police departments

springfield armory advertisements

springfield armory xds size comparison

springfield xds vs m&p

Click on a term to search for related topics.