• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New S&W M&P Add

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P Add within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by dhunley1 The XDm and Glock gen4 have interchangeable backstraps but they just stick out of the back. The interchangeable "palmswell" grips on ...

Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
The XDm and Glock gen4 have interchangeable backstraps but they just stick out of the back. The interchangeable "palmswell" grips on the M&P actually fill your hand by going around the side of the frame. I think that's the point they were trying to make when they put out that ad. I won't knock the XDm or Glock because I think they're great guns, but IMHO the M&P is a superior design. I see no need for a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, or a striker indicator. I can see why some like those features though. At the end of the day they're all great guns and people should choose the one they are most comfortable with.
I agree with your last statement. I'd like to know why you think the M&P is "superior." You mention the M&P's "simplistic design" with none of those features, but how does that make it superior? It's not like there are more failure points? If any of the XD features were stuck, the gun would still operate 100%. You might prefer it, but that doesn't mean the design is superior. That's a pretty objective statement. I'd say, all 3 designs are equal, and it's up to the individual to determine which gun best fits their hands and needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean82 View Post
I agree with your last statement. I'd like to know why you think the M&P is "superior." You mention the M&P's "simplistic design" with none of those features, but how does that make it superior? It's not like there are more failure points? If any of the XD features were stuck, the gun would still operate 100%. You might prefer it, but that doesn't mean the design is superior. That's a pretty objective statement. I'd say, all 3 designs are equal, and it's up to the individual to determine which gun best fits their hands and needs.
I agree with you on it being an objective statement. I said I thought it was superior "in my honest opinion". Obviously other people are going to have a different opinion. I like the fact that the M&P has less felt recoil since your hand sits higher in the frame, allowing for quicker more accurate follow up shots (for me at least). Also the steel chassis in the frame helps manage some of that torque and keeps the frame from twisting. Before owning my M&P's I carried a Glock 26 for quite a while. I wanted something new and I was torn between the M&P and XDm. After I did some testing with both, the M&P just stood out more to me. The interchangeable grips on the XDm didn't do much to fill my hand, it just helped to put my trigger finger closer or further to the position of my liking. Like I said before the XDm is a great gun, it just wasn't for me. I would never try to sway someone away from getting one. Different strokes for different folks...
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52538
...Originally Posted by dhunley1 ..."I see no need for a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, or a striker indicator."

Well, the grip safety prevents you from discharging the weapon if you are in the habit of carrying with one in the chamber and you pull or something grabs at the trigger, loaded chamber indicator lets you know that the chamber is loaded, and the striker indicator lets you know that the gun is cocked and ready to fire the pin if the trigger is pulled....Unless you are superman and have X-ray vision, you would never know those things. THAT is why someone thought they were necessary...Features the Glock nor the M&P contain. They all shoot and function fairly darn reliably, but innovation has its benefits too...
spudthegreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudthegreater View Post
...Originally Posted by dhunley1 ..."I see no need for a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, or a striker indicator."

Well, the grip safety prevents you from discharging the weapon if you are in the habit of carrying with one in the chamber and you pull or something grabs at the trigger, loaded chamber indicator lets you know that the chamber is loaded, and the striker indicator lets you know that the gun is cocked and ready to fire the pin if the trigger is pulled....Unless you are superman and have X-ray vision, you would never know those things. THAT is why someone thought they were necessary...Features the Glock nor the M&P contain. They all shoot and function fairly darn reliably, but innovation has its benefits too...
I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot so I have no need for the grip safety. Except for on a 1911 I see no benefit for it. I find the loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator useless since I always know if my gun is loaded or not. I don't need to be superman to know that lol. It's called being responsible and having common sense.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54278
Thanks for the great opinions guys! I have nothing against the M&P line, my buddy carries one as a duty gun and absolutley love the thing. I just don't see SA or Glock coming straight out and attacking another brand in an ad. Although some retaliation would be nice to see . I agree they are all good guns, I am one of those where the glock does not feel right in my hand, The M&P compact I played with at my buds gun store the other did feel really darn good in my hand. I won't be trading in my XDSC anytime soon though. I've been in retail/sales for the last 7 years and understand the marketing skeem behind this. I just don't see the point in coming out and "bashing" your competitor in an ad. IMO poor form.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55392
Quote:
Originally Posted by agould27 View Post
Thanks for the great opinions guys! I have nothing against the M&P line, my buddy carries one as a duty gun and absolutley love the thing. I just don't see SA or Glock coming straight out and attacking another brand in an ad. Although some retaliation would be nice to see . I agree they are all good guns, I am one of those where the glock does not feel right in my hand, The M&P compact I played with at my buds gun store the other did feel really darn good in my hand. I won't be trading in my XDSC anytime soon though. I've been in retail/sales for the last 7 years and understand the marketing skeem behind this. I just don't see the point in coming out and "bashing" your competitor in an ad. IMO poor form.

I agree. There's a radio station here in Houston that openly bashes one of their competitors nonstop and I hate it. Poor taste IMO.
Rock River Arms Entry Operator 2 AR-15
Rsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
XDTalk 1K Member

I don't see how you guys think they're bashing them. They have a simple list of features that the M&P has that the others don't. I hardly consider that "bashing".
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57257
It just looks like normal advertising to me. My buddy has an M&P, and I run my XDM. These are both new to us (I used to carry an HK on duty), so I'll be curious to see how they match up in the long run. He's had a few hiccups with his M&P (stovepipes etc.), but I think it was an aftermarket barrel which caused them.
Elbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38644
I am a past S&W owner, carried one (revolver) as a duty weapon and own an M&P 15 rifle so no prejudice against the brand (in fact, I am a tad prejudiced toward it because of good material use and workmanship as well as US made. However, I hate the trigger on the M&P pistols. So do many Officers I know.

XDM-9, XDSC-9, S&W M&P 15 OR
NRA member,USMC 66-69, Ex LEO
MPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 53320
I'm a lefty and debated long and hard between the M&P and XDM both in compact. I really liked that the M&P was lefty friendly and US made. But, I could hardly get at the recessed slide release on the M&P with my thumb, or trigger finger. I liked the XD grip safety. Not that I don't trust myself, it just adds a little peace of mind. I'm not a big fan of thumb safeties, with a grip safety you don't have to "think" about it. I rented and shot them both. I hated the M&P trigger, and the XD seemed to fit my hand better. It cost quite a bit more, but I went the the XDM 3.8 compact. And if looks count, the XD is prettier too. I shot a buddies S&W last week and still don't regret my choice. I'm sure they are both good guns, just preferred the XD.

Gun Control has more to do with control than with guns.
sparkysteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

add, glock gen 4, m&p, xd(m)

Search tags for this page
m&p advertisement
m&p and xd

m&p loaded chamber indicator

m&p palm swell for sale

m&p palm swells

m&p palm swells for sale

smith and wesson m&p add ons
smith and wesson m&p ambidextrous

smith and wesson m&p police departments

springfield armory advertisements

springfield armory xds size comparison
springfield xds vs m&p
Click on a term to search for related topics.