• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"

This is a discussion on First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4" within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Proud new owner of a Springfield 1911A1. I own an XD9 and I have been on the market for a 1911 since about two years ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"

Old 04-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39634
Talking First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"

Proud new owner of a Springfield 1911A1. I own an XD9 and I have been on the market for a 1911 since about two years ago. That's about the time I laid my eyes on Springfield's 1911A1 Operator Champion. After much research and many, many countless hours online. I stumbled across the Operator's brother, the Lightweight Champion, which is virtually the Operator sans the "tactical rail" ergo no longer an "Operator." However the sizing and upgrades are identical. I had my heart set on the Operator and was determined to get one... however the past two years have doled out many "item sold" and "item not available" banners. Calls to virtually every gun shop, on at least a bi-weekly basis turned up nothing but used rollover minutes. The same went for the LW Champion... until, the Crossroads of the West show a few weeks ago at the Arizona Cardinals stadium. I went with my wife and son. All of us keeping our eyes focused for the "Unicorn" Operator Champion. After hours of looking at tables full of other fine and worthy 1911's, I found one! or so I thought. The cocobolo wood grips and tactical rail lie before me... with an inch of "extra" barrel. It was the Springfield Operator, but it was the full size, not the Champion 4" barrel that my heart desired. Dismayed and tired of looking for something thought to have existed only in website photographs and european folklore, my eyes caught about a beautiful black and olive drab 1911 that seemed a bit odd. It lay next to the other 1911's and was screaming, "LOOK AT ME!! I am shorter than all my neighbors!" My hand grasped around the slim, checkered rubber grips, and I thought to myself, "This is it." It felt as though it was a part of me. I pulled the hammer back and let out a sigh. There is no feeling like cocking back the hammer of a 1911. Or so I thought... I asked the sales associate kindly, if he could remove the strap and security wire. He did so with no hesitation. Once it was free of its zip tie and prison wire, I held it firmly and directed my eyes down sights. It looked and felt better than any picture or description had try to detail. "I wonder what the trigger pull feels like." I though aloud.
"Pull it." He replied.
And with an ever so gentle squeeze, the hammer fell, as if it predicted that I was going to tug on its aluminum body.
::rgasmic gasp::
"I'll take it." I murmured.

I love my 1911A1 Champion.

My fingers hurt from typing, so I will post pics and answer questions as they arrive.

To pre-answer some possible questions. I had to wait a week to take it to the range and fire it. It was worth every minute of wait, and every dollar. Fired flawlessly, no FTF's or FTE's. *Note: I DID clean and lubricate before I popped its cherry.

Hope you are excited as me.
Almost shrilled like a little girl on the way back to car.
Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"-img_1479.jpg   First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"-img_1484.jpg   First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"-img_1487.jpg   First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"-img_1490.jpg   First post. Springfield 1911A1 Champion 4"-img_1491.jpg  

Last edited by DannyXBOX; 04-03-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typo; misleading
DannyXBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Old Timer

Member #: 41775
Congrats on the LW Champion...The long wait is over and now it's time to enjoy that beautiful pistol...
Old 04-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Thank you. Just gotta find a good holster for it. I had a SERPA II for my XD9 for OC and a crossbreed for CC. I checked out the SERPa for the 1911. It's a nice fit, but it was designed for full sized 1911 and there is that much more holster material hanging down.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Congrats.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49345
I think a champion operator will be my next purchase. I have a 3" and a 5" I need to complete the family!

SA XDm -- SA XD9sc -- SA TRP -- SA Loaded 9mm -- SA EMP
Berreta 92FS -- S&W .38
AR15 w/ Aimpoint
B. Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyXBOX View Post
Thank you. Just gotta find a good holster for it. I had a SERPA II for my XD9 for OC and a crossbreed for CC. I checked out the SERPa for the 1911. It's a nice fit, but it was designed for full sized 1911 and there is that much more holster material hanging down.
you could chop the serpa.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
SAR
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52839
congrats. good purchase
Glock 27 .40
SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150baja View Post
you could chop the serpa.
I considered it, but found that Blackhawk! Does in fact make a SERPA for the "1911 COMMANDER and clones" so I think I may just go with that. I am not too impressed with this "Armory Kote" finish either. At first it seemed as though it was superior to the parkerized finish on my XD9, but it's been only two and a half weeks and it's ALREADY started to show signs of holster wear (using the OC belt holster that Springfield provides.) I dont expect it to stay perfect forever, especially with as much holstering and unholstering I do cause I can't keep my damn hands off of it, buuuuttt, I figured the finish on a thousand dollar gun would be a little more durable than that.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 48435
Congrats on the new-to-you Champion, love the OD green/black combo.
And welcome from Tucson!
TucsonDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23238
Congrats on the new 1911 and perhaps a nice leather holster would help protect your finish a little better. I don't use the supplied holster from Springfield it's rough on the finish.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. Forbid it O' Mighty God for I know not what course others may take. But as for me, Give me Liberty or give me Death. - Patrick Henry
[/FONT]
RIA 1911 .45ACP
Uberti Millenium .45LC
Rossi 461 .357mag
Heritage SA .22lr/.22mag
Maverick security 88 12ga
Marlin 70 .22lr
Walther P22 .22lr
Savage Mark II .22lr
charlie.45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

1911, 4 inch barrel, champion, springfield

Search tags for this page
champion
reviews on springfield campion 1911-a1 4inch barrel
sa champion 1911 for sale
springfield 1911 lightweight champion operator for sale
springfield champion

springfield champion 1911 for sale

springfield champion 4 inch
springfield champion 4 inch review

springfield champion for sale

springfield champion forum
springfield champion operator
springfield champion operator 4 olive drab
springfield champion operator for sale
springfield champion operator review
springfield champion review
springfield operator 4 inch
Click on a term to search for related topics.