• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

I called Glock (Smyrna, GA) today to .....

This is a discussion on I called Glock (Smyrna, GA) today to ..... within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; ... check the date on my 1st Generation model 17, and to confirm whether it has had the 1992 firing pin safety system upgrade, which ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » I called Glock (Smyrna, GA) today to .....

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
I called Glock (Smyrna, GA) today to .....

... check the date on my 1st Generation model 17, and to confirm whether it has had the 1992 firing pin safety system upgrade, which it does not, still has all the black parts.

Called and got right in to the Glock customer support, he was helpful and confirmed the serial number is a 1986 model, made in 1985 (barrel date), imported July 1986, AU 0## serial number. He said it was from the first 9000 imported to the U.S. batch, offered to perform the trigger safety upgrade and go through the gun free of charge, just not sure I want to do that yet as not sure how much I am going to shoot it, have a Gen 3 model 17 for a shooter.

The 1st Gen Glock 17 has always been something I wanted to add it to my collection, kind of the first plastic gun I remember hearing about in the news. Of course Heckler & Koch used polymer for their VP70 pistol frame in 1970, but I don't remember that gun growing up, so to me this is the first polymer handgun, and a classic 9mm gun for my collection.

Here are some pics with the orginal tupperware box, NFML/NDF mags, and Nov. 1985 owners/instructional manual....

Remove Ads
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41454
If it's more of a collectible, would it be worth more "as built" or "modified" to include the safety change?

Seems "as built" would be worth more since there will be fewer of those remaining. It depends on what you are going to do with it.

Firearms: None. All were lost in an unfortunate boating accident on Tempe Townlake.

XDTalk Member Distribution Map

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Instructions on adding yourself are in post #497

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
texan_eagle_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_eagle_scout View Post
If it's more of a collectible, would it be worth more "as built" or "modified" to include the safety change?

Seems "as built" would be worth more since there will be fewer of those remaining. It depends on what you are going to do with it.
Exactly what I was thinking.... and I still think it would be safe to shoot, based on reading the Glock technical bulletin #920403, referring to the 'optional upgrade'.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11929
If you've got a Gen 3 as a shooter, just safe queen that baby and let the value climb. I'm not sure that there will ever really be a super high dollar market for first generation GLOCKs (or any modern handguns) the way there is for early 1911s, but it wouldn't hurt to keep it as original and pristine as you could.
FATSEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Very nice early G17 you have there.

I have a 1992 made 2nd gen G17 and I will have to say that to the age old list of "death and taxes" being the only two sure things....I add the Glock 17.

When it all breaks down and the "S" is hitting the "F"...I want my AK and Glock 17 and everything else stays in the safe until things cool down.

Ugly and some might not like the grip angle, but there no denying the Glock 17 is the most reliable double stack 9mm in the world.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47683
Let me start by saying that I am not a Glock guy BUT....

Living here in Glockland (Yes... Georgia) I hear from folks constantly
about the level of service that they get from Glock.

If you plan to shoot it and not just make a safe queen of it...
send it to Glock !! if those are original or older mags, send them
as well. Glock DEFINTELY knows how to do customer service.
It is not unusual for folks to take their gun into Glock to have sights
installed and end up with several upgrade/updates and new mags.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for you....

Member GeorgiaCarry.org

& GeorgiaPacking.org

& 941 Forum

BG_Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36486
Now that's cool. I too am not a big Glock guy but I can appreciate that for sure. I would keep it original and just shoot your gen 3. Enjoy your piece of history and innovation.

I'm all for Ron Paul

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin
misfit-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
If you want to keep the G17 as a combination shooter/collection piece, why not just buy the upgraded parts and install them yourself, keeping the originals, in case you decide to sell that old G17 later? All the parts are available at reasonable prices from Lonewolf Distributors. You won't need any special tools, of course, to replace every part on a Glock.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
This is bringing back funny memories. I remember when Glocks were introduced, for the longest time they were being attacked for being an assassin's gun that wouldn't set off metal detectors. lol. Ah good times.....

THat an interesting discovery for you though. I'd keep it all original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
factory upgrade for a glock gen 1
glock 17 1st gen value
glock 17 gen 1 upgrades

glock 17 serial number lookup

glock 1985
glock 1st generation serial numbers
glock factory in georgia, usa

glock factory upgrade

glock factory upgrades

glock gen 1

glock inc technical bulletin #920403

glock serial number ending in us

glock serial number with us at end
glock serial numbers ending in us
glock smyrna ga
older glocks
Click on a term to search for related topics.