• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

SIG 238 not repaired by manufacturer, what next?

This is a discussion on SIG 238 not repaired by manufacturer, what next? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I have sent my SIG P238 back to SIG for repairs twice now and it still is not working properly, however, after the last trip ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » SIG 238 not repaired by manufacturer, what next?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35117
SIG 238 not repaired by manufacturer, what next?

I have sent my SIG P238 back to SIG for repairs twice now and it still is not working properly, however, after the last trip they say that it was tested and functioned flawlessly.

After buying the gun, I took it home and cleaned it prior to taking it to the range. When I took it to the range, I ran about 120 rounds of Federal FMJ through it and out of that, had about 15 or so failure to ejects. In some cases, this is in form of a stove pipe, parallel feed jam where the spent shell isn't ejected, or a problem where the spent brass is caught up in the chamber. These jams seem to have no pattern whatsoever as to when they occur. I contacted customer service and sent it in for repairs. After about 2.5 weeks I received it back from SIG with a note saying that they upgraded the extractor and test fired the gun with no failures.

Next trip to the range, again with Federal FMJ... ran about 100 more rounds through it and had about 8 of the same types of jams. Now getting frustrated, I took it home, cleaned it and decided to give it another try. I headed back out to the range again a little later that week and again experienced the same problems. I called SIG once again and sent it back once again.

This time, they send the gun back to me saying they tested it and they were not able to replicate the problem. Absolutely livid at this point, I go to the range with my fiance and a video camera and had her video me shooting with close ups of the jams… AFTER it came back from SIG with no problems. Out of about 80-100 more rounds, 4 or 5 jams on video.

I have been shooting handguns for about 4-5 years or so and am familiar with proper techniques, grip, stance etc. This is NOT a limp wristing issue. I love the gun but I can't trust it to work and at this point I am downright mad that I made the decision to buy this gun over an LCP, which was the runner up. If I could do it over I would go with an LCP.

Does anybody here have any recommendations for what to do next? I have thought about burning the video of the range trip to a CD and sending it back to SIG with the gun as proof. Nevertheless, they can still pull the same crap saying that they “tested” it and it works fine, regardless of what I’m experiencing. Is it unrealistic to believe there is a possibility of getting it exchanged with SIG?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Pictures of JAMS:
Imageshack - 062410143000.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
Imageshack - 062410142701.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
Imageshack - 062410142700.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
Most common jam:
Imageshack - 062410142401.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
Imageshack - 062410142400.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
Imageshack - img5201b.jpg - Uploaded by Imageshack user
gnwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29210
Have you tried different ammo.
Rlxurmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Even though you say it's not a limp wristing issue I will still ask have you had other experienced shooter shoot the gun and see if they can replicate you problem. I sure does sound like limp wrisitng to me.
I saw this lady shooter at a competition with a brand new colt gold cup, every other mag she'd get a stove pipe or other fte, two cop friends of hers would take the gun and shoot 2 mags no issues she'd take the gun and first few of rounds and fte. They kept telling here there was nothing wrong with the gun but she just couldn't shoot it without a fte.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Mine produces brass that's deformed like that too -- maybe 4 or 5 out of 100. I've only had it jam open once like you showed, though, with the empty case parallel to the chamber.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 49087
I would try different ammo and if that don't work then sell it and buy an LCP. Never had a jam even when my wife shot it.
Ruger Vaquero stainless in .45 Colt.
Browning buckmark stainless with fiber optic sights and ultra grip.
H&K USP .45 Compact.
Savage .270 with composite stock and leupold scope.
DPMS Sportacle in .308 with osprey illuminated scope.
Rossi .44 mag lever action.
Weatherby tactical 12ga with peep sight and fiber optic front sight.
Savage 16ga single shot.
Springfield stainless 1911 GI converted to a .460 Rowland.
Nephalem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 45752
Another example of how SIG has gradually turned into a tier-2 gun company. They're more concerned with beaver tails and cute little "Blackwater" engravings than they are with quality control.
F-Trooper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
I would give Sig one for shot at fixing it. Too expensive of a gun to do this.

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35117
Never had any problems with other semi-autos Beretta, Glock, LCP's, XD's... I think 4 years with no other problems should suffice as having enough experience to not limp wrist.

Regarding different ammo - here in Houston, .380 is still very hard to find. Buying most of it online but at the price most of it is at, and being on a budget, I haven't experimented with too many other types. I have put about 50 rounds of Prvi Partizan through it and out of those I think I had one malfunction.

I am not the only one having this problem. It's one of the more common problems with the gun for people who do have problems (there are a lot who don't). That being said, it's aggravating as hell that I'm hearing more and more people saying exactly what F-Trooper said, and that SIG isn't doing more to fix this. That's why I'm asking if anybody has ever had an experience with a gun not working right and having the manufacturer fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalem16 View Post
... sell it and buy an LCP. Never had a jam even when my wife shot it.
... might be the route I wind up taking. Never had a single problem any of the times I've shot the LCP. After my 238's last trip back to SIG, and nobody here or at SIG Forums suggesting that I rely on SIG to fix it, I am quickly losing confidence in their ability to fix this situation.
gnwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pick View Post
Mine produces brass that's deformed like that too -- maybe 4 or 5 out of 100. I've only had it jam open once like you showed, though, with the empty case parallel to the chamber.
I had one, no longer. Neat little guns but they have issues. I had one that was "biting" the brass on ejection therefore deforming the brass...as a reloader that is BAD.

I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolfe spring for the "original" style of that gun and it was a heavier spring, this seemed to help but it would still do it from time to time.

Therefore....traded it for a less than 100 round through it XD9SC!

Why do I carry a gun? Have you picked up a cop lately? Man, they eat A LOT of doughnuts....and whew...they are heavy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"The Fashion Statement with Survival Instincts"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"We don't sell guns we sell the things that make guns better"
jtprevatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8055
That is exactly what mine was doing to the brass. What I found was that the recoil spring was WEAK and they seem to get that way after about 300 rounds.

I replaced mine with a Wolfe spring and it helped, but did not completely cure the problem.

I no longer have it, it magically turned into a dang near new XD9SC!

Why do I carry a gun? Have you picked up a cop lately? Man, they eat A LOT of doughnuts....and whew...they are heavy.

"The Fashion Statement with Survival Instincts"

"We don't sell guns we sell the things that make guns better"
jtprevatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

238, p238, sig, sig 238, sig p238

Search tags for this page
issues with extractor for sig p238
p238 extractor problem
p238 fte
sig 238 jams
sig p238 ejector fix
sig p238 extractor problems
sig p238 fte
sig p238 jamming problem
sig p238 manufacture date
sig p238 stovepipe
sig sauer p238 ejector fix
sig sauer p238 extractor problem
sig sauer p238 fte
sig sauer production dates p238
sig sauer stove piping

sig238

Click on a term to search for related topics.