• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Kahr CW9 Vs XD9SC??

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 Vs XD9SC?? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I currently have a XD9SC that I have been carrying however I have been thinking of picking up the Cw9 just because they can be ...

Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 46840
Kahr CW9 Vs XD9SC??

I currently have a XD9SC that I have been carrying however I have been thinking of picking up the Cw9 just because they can be had for $399 locally here. I am thinking of getting it because its narrower than the XD. Thoughts? Anyone have one? Its the same dimensions as the PM9 and P9.

I compared them at the shop and it was a big difference for feel and width...but i want your opinion.

I carry in an MTAC btw.

joe
Boostedxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 20346
I've got the CW9. It's my carry gun. It's thin and light, and carries well. The trigger is looonnng, but very smooth, and not extremely heavy. I've never had any problems out of mine, with random FMJ's and Federal Hydrashocks (probably 400 rounds total). Good accuracy, also. If you like the feel, I say go for it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMS2.0 View Post
I've got the CW9. It's my carry gun. It's thin and light, and carries well. The trigger is looonnng, but very smooth, and not extremely heavy. I've never had any problems out of mine, with random FMJ's and Federal Hydrashocks (probably 400 rounds total). Good accuracy, also. If you like the feel, I say go for it.
can you post some photos of it? Do you still have an XD? can you post comparison pictures. Thanks for the info!!!

joe
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30023
I have a PM9 and a friend has a P9. They both shoot well, and I've seen him carry the P9 where I was looking to see if he was carrying, and asked him why he wasn't...up came the shirt and there it was. I say go for it.
Mossberg 590A1 9 shot w/ghost rings, M9 bayonet
Remington R-25 .308
rexracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
I have a CW40 and an XD40 SC. The comparison would be similar to a comparison between the CW9 and XD9 SC. I don't have any comparison shots of the two guns but I do have a comparison shot of my CW40 and PM9. The CW model is bigger. It's really not a good pocket gun, IMO, if that's what you're looking for.

CW on the left ...

PM on top ...

PM on bottom ...
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

thanks for the pictures! I will be carrying this IWB as I am not 100% comfy with pocket carry honestly. I would assume the CW9 would be a good IWB tshirt ad shorts gun?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
thanks for the pictures! I will be carrying this IWB as I am not 100% comfy with pocket carry honestly. I would assume the CW9 would be a good IWB tshirt ad shorts gun?
Yes, I carry my CW in a CBST holster and it even conceals fairly well wearing tighter, lighter-weight shirts like Under Armor Heat Gear and Columbia's Titanium shirts. I don't wear the body-hugger shirts but the light-weight fabric still drapes pretty closely and even my wife, who knows I carry pretty much all the time, has noted that she couldn't tell.

The PM9 is nice for pocket carry when you can't wear a holster for one reason or another. I have a nice pocket holster that makes it look like I'm carrying my wallet in my front pocket (in tighter shorts/pants).
Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38644
Well, since the original question was vs. XDSC, I have to add that while convenience is definitely served with the Kahr, there IS a tradeoff. To some it will be a major one, to others , less so.

Weight and width make the SA XDSC platform feel and shoot like a much larger weapon. It has less perceived recoil, less prone to failures from grip problems, faster back on target after a shot and can carry at least 13 rounds meaning a second mag is optional rather than necessary.

All things are a trade off. The XDSC is the most concealable XD. The Kahrs and Kel Tecs are the most convenient to conceal and carry in 9MM. Your choice comes down to comfort in carry or comfort in shooting, IMHO. Either will be servicable for CCW but your choice should depend on which variable is more important to you. I chose the XD over my PF9 because of reliability and shooting ergonomics. I do miss the easily concealable , thin and light little pocket cannon. I , however, shoot the XD much better and have much more confidence in the performance of it as well as the ammo capacity.

XDM-9, XDSC-9, S&W M&P 15 OR
NRA member,USMC 66-69, Ex LEO
MPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 45813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
I currently have a XD9SC that I have been carrying however I have been thinking of picking up the Cw9 just because they can be had for $399 locally here. I am thinking of getting it because its narrower than the XD. Thoughts? Anyone have one? Its the same dimensions as the PM9 and P9.

I compared them at the shop and it was a big difference for feel and width...but i want your opinion.

I carry in an MTAC btw.
Here's a link comparing the 3 Kahrs you mentioned
Genitron.com: Comparing 3 Guns|CW9|P9|PM9|

You might want to consider the Ruger SR9c. We just picked one up in Bi-Tone for $400 + Tax, so it's in the same price range as the Cw9. Like the Cw9, it's slimmer and a bit more rounded/comfortable than the XD9sc, but still a Double Stack with 10rd & 17rd mags. The really strange thing about the SR9c is that it's a couple ounces Heavier than the XD9sc, but it really doesn't FEEL heavier. The SR9c 17rd mag seems to not add as much girth to the Ruger as the XD's 16rd mag. Not sure why...

Here's the same site, but comparing the Cw9, XD9sc and SR9c:
Genitron.com: Comparing 3 Guns|CW9|XD Sub Compact|SR9c|

Here's another good comparison chart, but it doesn't have the SR9c listed yet.
http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf
Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
Well, since the original question was vs. XDSC, I have to add that while convenience is definitely served with the Kahr, there IS a tradeoff. To some it will be a major one, to others , less so.

Weight and width make the SA XDSC platform feel and shoot like a much larger weapon. It has less perceived recoil, less prone to failures from grip problems, faster back on target after a shot and can carry at least 13 rounds meaning a second mag is optional rather than necessary.

All things are a trade off. The XDSC is the most concealable XD. The Kahrs and Kel Tecs are the most convenient to conceal and carry in 9MM. Your choice comes down to comfort in carry or comfort in shooting, IMHO. Either will be servicable for CCW but your choice should depend on which variable is more important to you. I chose the XD over my PF9 because of reliability and shooting ergonomics. I do miss the easily concealable , thin and light little pocket cannon. I , however, shoot the XD much better and have much more confidence in the performance of it as well as the ammo capacity.
I'd like to address a couple of the statements above.

1. I don't carry a spare magazine just for capacity. I carry one, primarily, because most semi-auto handgun failures are in some way related to the magazine and/or resolved by dropping the current magazine and replacing it with a new one. I know that I share this opinion with countless seasoned LEO's, military and civilian handgun carriers.

2. Ergonomics are 100% based upon the individual shooting the gun.

3. Accuracy, is generally more a factor of practice than ergonomics. A few weeks ago, I watched a guy shoot the Q out of a Q Target shooting a CW9 from a variety of ranges. I MIGHT be able to do that with one of my XD's ... or Kahrs ... or other brands of handguns ... but it definitely proved to me that the CW series are accurate handguns in the right hands.

If you've had reliability issues with your Kahr I certainly understand a hesitance to carry it. Other than that, like most gun purchases, it comes down to the individual making the purchase. We can all agree or disagree as much as we want but, ultimately, the OP has to make his own decision.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

cw9 reliability

cw9 vs sr9c
cw9 vs xd9sc
is kahr cw9 reliable

kahr cw9 reliability

kahr cw9 vs pm9
kahr cw9 vs sr9c

kahr cw9 vs xd9sc

kahr cw9 vs xds 9
reliability of kahr cw9
springfield xd 9 vs kahr cw9
springfield xd subcompact vs kahr cw9
which is better a kahr cw9 or springfield xdm
xd9sc
xdm9 vs xd9
Click on a term to search for related topics.