• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Which .357 Revolver...Ruger or Taurus?

This is a discussion on Which .357 Revolver...Ruger or Taurus? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I've been looking at .357 Magnum revolvers, I want a 4 in. barrel in stainless steel. So far I like the Ruger GP100 and the ...

Old 03-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 8651
Which .357 Revolver...Ruger or Taurus?

I've been looking at .357 Magnum revolvers, I want a 4 in. barrel in stainless steel. So far I like the Ruger GP100 and the Taurus 608, but I'm leaning more towards the Taurus based on capacity (8 vs. 6 rds) and price ($75 to $100 cheaper). Anyone have any inputs on either gun, or a suggestion for a comparable gun in the under $500 range?

Ruger GP100

Taurus 608
Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
Here's the revolver you want. A true tactical revolver with Picatinny rails, black and all.

Now that is a cool revolver.

Seriously though. Take a look at S&W. As far as revolvers go you will find little better than a Smith. They are definitily worth the extra money. They can be had in 6, 7, or 8 shot models with a variety of barrel contours.

mcb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
bd1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8449
Taurus makes fine handguns. That can't be denied.

But....

Ruger builds them like tanks and the Ruger will hold its value better than the Taurus in the long run.

I really don't think there's a gun out there that is more suited for.357 and the Ruger GP100 and .357 seem to have been made for each other.

I'd buy the Ruger.

Try to get them side-by-side to compare before you buy.

bd
bd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 5843
I got my ruger GP100 used. It's a truely awesome gun... worth every penny I paid and then some... I agree with BD, Ruger does build them like tanks. one more thing the trigger rocks

YMMV
hytekblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 2693
I own a Taurus 627, but I'd happily own a Ruger.

Just remember, the higher the capacity, the bigger that friggin' cylinder will be. Only matters if you plan on concealing it.

We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
SLCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Neither.

Find a nice used Smith & Wesson 357. Models 19, 66, 586 or 686 are very nice guns. I have owned several and still have my 4 inch Model 19 - it is a very accurate, durable and well crafted piece with a glass smooth action.

Smith's semi-autos are really forgettable, but a K or L framed 357 Smith revolver is a real gem. Everybody ought to own one.

My Model 19 is an early 80s made piece. Nice polished deep bluing, no machine marks anywhere, case hardened hammer and trigger..a very attractive pistol. Hold one in your hand and you'll know its a very quality made pistol.

Dad has a 4 inch Ruger GP100...nice pistol...tough, but not as refined as the Smith. The action is not as smooth and it does not balance as well in the hand as my Model 19. The Ruger is more clubby and chunky...typical of anythign Ruger builds. The Smith is slim and very well made and fits your hand perfectly.

Got more dough? Go for a Colt Python (800 bucks...but the slickest 357 revolver made!), but if you don't have that much jack to burn, a K or L frame Smith 357 is the one to have. They're really inexpensive on the used market...not much more than buying a new Taurus but a better built gun, all around with better resale/collector value.

- Brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4313
I have a taurus .357 and love it. But I also do love the rugers.

I think this one is going to come down to your personal preference when you try them side by side.
Majk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Old Timer

Member #: 6414
MCB is that your revolver?! Lucky you if so. That thing is ******. I figured it'd throw in my 2c worth in the debate.

3.Ruger:
reliable
well made

2.Taurus:
reliable
well made
cheap
light weight options (for smaller frames)
good waranty

1.S&W:
best of the best
reliable
well made
not cheap
light weight options(for smaller frames)
an excellent waranty

I own a Taurus .357 (2" ported bbl 7.shot) and can attest to it's greatness. It is great. The trigger is very smooth (substantial pull in DA, light and crisp in SA). The firearm has never malfunctioned (it's a revolver for JC's sake, it shouldn't.) And very surprisingly, it's very accurate for having a 2" bbl. It shoots (even in DA) much better groups much more consistantly than my beloved XD40 does. As far as the S&W goes, it's worth the extra cash for sure, but if you do happen to decide (or are unable to afford, as in my case) to go w/ the Taurus OR the Ruger, you'll be happy in the end, as neither will dissapoint you.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabrachus
MCB is that your revolver?! Lucky you if so. That thing is ******. I figured it'd throw in my 2c worth in the debate.
No unfortunately I don't own that revolver. I would love to own one but they were just released at this years Shot Show and are rather pricey (MSRP $1260.00) and probably hard to find right know.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

I do own two revolvers. My 357 Magnum is a Ruger Blackhawk single action with 6.5 inch barrel. I use it primarily for carry around the farm and deer hunting.

I also have a S&W 610 6.5 inch barrel, chamber for the 10mm Auto. I mostly shoot 40S&W in it and have been shooting USPSA matches with it. Lots of fun and that big N frame with 6.5 inch full under-lug barrel really soaks up the recoil.

More back on topic if I had to pick between Ruger and Taurus I would probably pick the Ruger. I own one and have shot my friend GP-100 and like that just as much as my Blackhawk. By brother owns a Taurus in 44 Mag and there's nothing wrong with it. Shoots just fine but the Ruger seem to have slightly better fit and finish. Any of these revolver would serve you just fine. Fondle and shoot as many of them as you can and pick the one that fits you hand and wallet the best.

mcb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 9490
I was in the same situation before I decided to buy the XD. You can find both guns at shows, and the Ruger will usually be down to the same price as the Taurus. The Ruger is a better gun all around except the capacity.
Remington 597
mndelta25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
comparison of gp100 to ruger blackhawk in 357 mag
revolver rails

ruger gp100 vs taurus 608

ruger vs taurus 357
taurus 357 vs ruger 357
taurus 357mag vs ruger gp100
taurus 608 4 vs 6

taurus 608 vs ruger gp100

taurus 65 vs ruger gp100
taurus magnum 357 608
taurus vs ruger .357 magnum revolver
taurus vs s&w, 357, 7-8 round capacity
Click on a term to search for related topics.