• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Why should I buy a XD over a Glock??

This is a discussion on Why should I buy a XD over a Glock?? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; ive owned a glock 17, an xd9, and an xdm 9and here is why i like the xds better glock cons -to me the glock ...

Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #71
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27255
ive owned a glock 17, an xd9, and an xdm 9and here is why i like the xds better

glock

cons-to me the glock polymer seems cheap and flimsy and i hate the trigger, it gets really hard towards the end of the pull. i hate the shape of the frame, it is wide and the hump makes things uncomfortable for me when shooting. when shooting my trigger finger sits at an angle and it rubs against the very small hole of the trigger guard. its lightweight makes it snappy even with the 9mm brown bear.

pros-it is a very acurate gun. very light weight. you can get Factory 33 round mags for it. the mag design is ingenious the way the polymer lines the metal feed lips. lots of mods for it and a huge aftermarket. very simple.

XD

cons- guide rod has a "cap" on it that might snag. a little bit heavier than the glock. smaller aftermarket. slide stop gets in my way a bit

pros- feels much better in my hand. the polymer seems to be of better quality and much thicker. very acurate also. much better trigger feel and pull. bigger trigger guard. the xd feels much better in my hand and points better.
45calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #72
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 32353
Gen4 Glocks

I own a Glock 30, 22, and new 4th Generation Glock 17.

The 4th Gen G17 has been nothing short of a disaster due to problems with the new guide rod/dual spring assembly.

My G17 Gen4 is a definite lemon.
fmfdocsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #73
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33322
Glocks in 40 caliber have a history of kabooms. although i am not sure that they wont happen in other guns. Also the polygonal barrel is not reload friendly so you have to buy an after market barrel to shoot them. even though I do own glocks, i think they are pretty ugly.
udannlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #74
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by udannlin View Post
Glocks in 40 caliber have a history of kabooms. although i am not sure that they wont happen in other guns. Also the polygonal barrel is not reload friendly so you have to buy an after market barrel to shoot them. even though I do own glocks, i think they are pretty ugly.
1) the majority og kB's are with reloads, and quite possibly with reloads that would take out another pistol just as easily. There's a picture of an XDm40 that was taken out by a reload posted here not terribly long ago...

2) The poly bore is perfectly reload friendly, especially with jacketed bullets. If unjacketed lead bullets are used, then on must be diligent about cleaning the bore thoroughly, regularly.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #75
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 47946
You should definitely look at the M&P while you are considering the other two as well. I love Glocks but the M&P's are great guns!!
XDHog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #76
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 38424
You shouldn't buy one over the other unless you personally checked them all out and found the one that suits you best. A well informed shopper is a smart shopper no matter what your buying. Nuff Said
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #77
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 9024
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmp22 View Post
Glocks have as many malfunctions as XDs, but mostly you hear about glock leg, you know, the lack of safeties that cops end up shooting themselves in the leg
While true about malfunctions, it's totally wrong that the lack of safeties cause cops to shoot themselves, it's lack of training. If it were the gun, you'd see a LOT more of these, considering Glock has such a vast foothold in the law enforcement market. Safeties on a gun can NEVER be a substitute for training and safe gun handling. That being said, on my XDs and 1911s, I have never had an issue where the grip safety caused any problem, so I wouldn't mind there being one on the Glock. Being forced to use a proper grip would actually help solve a lot of the Glock failures which are the result of limp-wristing. But, as I said... training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalebluePRS View Post
All the great people at XDTalk of course!
It's hard, nay impossible, to think of anything false about this. By far, XDTalk is the best gun board, whether you own a XD or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
I learned something right then and there--it's not how it feels, it's how it shoots.
I've had a similar experience. I have smaller hands, and I've had trouble finding a gun that's good for me. Obviously 1st to 3rd gen Glocks aren't exactly designed for the small-handed individuals. I can't even use a perfect grip. But I can shoot a Glock very well, better than I could my XDs, 1911s, and Smith & Wessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
1) the majority og kB's are with reloads, and quite possibly with reloads that would take out another pistol just as easily. There's a picture of an XDm40 that was taken out by a reload posted here not terribly long ago...
I could not agree more, Cuda66. NO gun is immune from using improper or out-of-spec ammunition. I've even see the mighty 1911 fall by the hand of a poor round of ammunition.

As for me, there are two reasons that I can think where one should choose an XD over a Glock. First, and most importantly, if they can shoot the gun better. Provided the gun is reliable and accurate, looks and price do not matter. What matters is proficiency with the firearm in use. The XD is just as reliable as a Glock, and has superior ergonomics (in my opinion) to a Glock. That said, I shoot the Glock better, so it's what I shoot.

Second, while not as important as the first, would be if you're left-handed. While I have owned one, and have had no issues with one, a Glock 17 Gen4 has the option to reverse the magazine release. So why still suggest the XD? Because the Glock 17 Gen4 has not yet been time-tested in widespread use. Proportionately, there have been more issues with the Gen4 models than Gen3 models.

They're both great guns. Also, be sure to consider the Smith & Wesson M&P. As far as striker-fired pistols go, any of the three I mentioned would be great a great choice, in my opinion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

reason to buy xd over glock

should i buy a flock or springfield xd?
should i buy a glock or springfield xd

should i buy a springfield xd or xdm

should i buy a springfield xds

should i buy a springfield xds?

why buy a springfield xd

why buy an xd

why buy springfield xd

why should i buy a glock

why should i buy a springfield

why should i buy an xdm over a glock

why shouldn't buy xdm

why would i buy a springfield xd

why xd over glock

why you shouldnt buy a glock

Click on a term to search for related topics.