• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Easy to rack semi-autos

This is a discussion on Easy to rack semi-autos within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I'm looking for information on semi-auto handguns in acceptable defense calibers (.380 acp and larger) that are relatively easy to rack the slide. I'm going ...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12948
Easy to rack semi-autos

I'm looking for information on semi-auto handguns in acceptable defense calibers (.380 acp and larger) that are relatively easy to rack the slide.

I'm going to take my wife shopping for a handgun (or should I say "ask her if she would like to accompany me"). The problem is, she hates shopping for anything. Unlike many women, she wants to go into the store, take care of business and get out as quickly as possible. So I'd like to make a list of good candidates and call ahead to make sure the store has a number of good candidates on hand for her to try.

She can rack the slide on her Hi-Standard .22lr easily (of course) and was able to rack the slide on an instructor's Glock 9mm (not sure which one). She can't rack the slide on my XD45 or my father's Walther PPK/S.

P.S. Thanks to all who posted in my related thread. Good advice to let her pick her own gun, hence this thread.
wombat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
She's just going to have to try them, have her look at the glocks, and the XD's, the .45's are harder to rack, I think the 9sc is very easy. Try a Ruger LCP and a Taurus TCP, Keltec PF9 or P3AT. If available, I like the Walther PK380 Lthis is basically a P22 only chambered in 380, not as harsh as the PPK/S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45ACP
HK USP in 40S&W
I own both of these guns and they are VERY easy to rack right out of the box.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
The instructor's Glock was more than likely a 17 or 19. You won't go wrong with either if she likes them. I've found them both very easy to work.

I will also agree that the USP's action is easy to work; may be the dual-spring design...

Most .380's will be hard to rack; they tend to have very stiff recoil springs due to design (blowback action/teeny-weenie slide).

I would recommend having her try this alternate way of racking the slide, though...instead of pulling back on the slide, have here use her "weak" hand to simply hold the slide in place while she uses here strong hand to thrust forward on the grip. She may find it works better for her.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
The instructor's Glock was more than likely a 17 or 19. You won't go wrong with either if she likes them. I've found them both very easy to work.

I will also agree that the USP's action is easy to work; may be the dual-spring design...

Most .380's will be hard to rack; they tend to have very stiff recoil springs due to design (blowback action/teeny-weenie slide).

I would recommend having her try this alternate way of racking the slide, though...instead of pulling back on the slide, have here use her "weak" hand to simply hold the slide in place while she uses here strong hand to thrust forward on the grip. She may find it works better for her.
I encouraged her to try that on my father's Walther PPK/S and her hand got pinched in the area of the ejection port. It was very painful and I think it has made her more reluctant to shoot anything but her .22lr target pistol.
wombat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat13 View Post
I encouraged her to try that on my father's Walther PPK/S and her hand got pinched in the area of the ejection port. It was very painful and I think it has made her more reluctant to shoot anything but her .22lr target pistol.
Sounds like she didn't have her hand placed correctly, or it slipped...which is easy to do with the heavy recoil spring and small slide on a pistol of that size....

Explain that it's easier on a full-sized pistol.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37661
I don't own one but the easiest to rack that I've ever picked up was a Colt Agent .45.

CHOOSE to be a sheepdog.

CZ 2075 Rami 9mm alloy
CZ PCR D
S&W Shield (2)
Keltec P3AT & P32
Spikes/PSA AR-15
Marlin 10/22

Chain Yanker Extraordinaire
jreXD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32302
I'm dealing with the same issue (wife actually broke a nail racking my xd45 tactical) and am looking at the SW mp9. She can rack the slide of my 45 but hates it now due to the nail thing.

the mp9 with the adjustable backgrips and easy slide seems perfect for her. Now to get her there to check it out.
Dal1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45553
I know you said semi-auto but is a revolver out of the question? The new Ruger LCR is an awesome light weight alternative or the SP101, lady smith, etc... Most compact autos use the double spring recoil rod and will be stiff and will take practice.

My wife wanted to carry a Glock 27 so she bought a grip exerciser, worked out and practiced with until she was comfortable running the slide of her chosen pistol. Until then she carried a SP101 357mag.
Super Blackhawk 44mag 7.5"
SP101 .357mag 2.25"
Walther P99AS .40cal
Glock G30 w/OEM tritium sights
Glock G27

nvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
how about a G26?

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

easiest 9mm auto to rack

easiest pistol to rack

easiest semi auto pistol to rack

easy rack guns for women

easy to rack handgun for women
easy to rack xds 9mm v.s.
easyist semi pistol to rack
how to get an auto semi glock to slide back easy
semi auto guns easy to rack

semi auto pistol with easy slide

walther 9mm easy to rack slide
walther pps easy to rack
Click on a term to search for related topics.