• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - Got one?

This is a discussion on Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - Got one? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; HELP PLEASE!!! I've looked around and I've not seen much listed recently on the Bond Arms "Derringers" as it relates to the opinions of their ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - Got one?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22437
Bond Arms Derringers - Snake Slayers, Ranger - Got one?

HELP PLEASE!!!

I've looked around and I've not seen much listed recently on the Bond Arms "Derringers" as it relates to the opinions of their construction, experience with durability, recoil, practicality, different barrels, etc.

I've seen the Snake Slayer 3.5", the Snake Slayer 4.25", as well as the Ranger 4.25". I've noted these because of their "Extended Grips" which really make a difference when considering the size of my hands.

Here are a few questions that I have for those of you who can reflect and respond: (When responding, please provide which BA revolver you own)

1.) What is the recoil like between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels? Is it really measurable?

2.) What is the overall rating and thoughts on the 45 Colt / 410 barrel? What is the maximum effective distance that you've been able to note thus far with the 410 round (and which 410 shot were you using)? How did the 45 Colt round handle?

3.) Trigger guard make a big difference? I know it is mainly a personal preference, but just curious what most are preferring out there.

4.) What type of holster carry options are you using with your Bond Arms Derringer of choice? IWB, OWB, Driving Concealed Holster style,etc.?

5.) Carry extra shells / rounds with you? If so, how do you carry them (speed strips, loose, belt strip, holster with extra round loops, etc.)?

6.) Overall rating of Bond Arms service and response times on any issues that you may have had with your BA revolver?

7.) Feel free to share any other thoughts, observations, issues, or complaints that you have on these interesting little pocket canons.

Thank you for your time and consideration in sharing here.
usmcxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
I did a little research on the Bond Arms derringers before I bought my NAA .22lr mini-revolver. The larger caliber option was the primary attraction, but they only have two shots, and are bigger than they seem. So, I decided that having a five shot .22 in a smaller, easier to carry package, trumped having two .45 rounds in a larger gun.

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33866
They ARE made in TEXAS, is there anything else that needs to be said????

Seriously though they are very well made and I like the size, myself. With that cal. I think it would be tough to shoot in a smaller frame.

choctaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Relay View Post
I did a little research on the Bond Arms derringers before I bought my NAA .22lr mini-revolver. The larger caliber option was the primary attraction, but they only have two shots, and are bigger than they seem. So, I decided that having a five shot .22 in a smaller, easier to carry package, trumped having two .45 rounds in a larger gun.
Thank you for stopping by.

I understand fully, which that was my initial thought, until someone said that putting two (2) of the "000" buck shells in it with the 5 pellets each would be like spraying 3-5 shots at one time.

They do appear to be well made, but just never shot one.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
....With that cal. I think it would be tough to shoot in a smaller frame.
My thoughts too, but I looked up some Youtube videos on the Snake Slayers and from what I am seeing in the video, the 1911 .45 pistol had more recoil than the 410/45 combo. It would be nice to have the opportunity to shoot one "prior" to purchasing one.

We'll see what happens. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcxd View Post
Thank you for stopping by.

I understand fully, which that was my initial thought, until someone said that putting two (2) of the "000" buck shells in it with the 5 pellets each would be like spraying 3-5 shots at one time.

They do appear to be well made, but just never shot one.
Personally, I don't consider the .410 a good defensive choice, particuarly out of a handgun. It just plain doesn't have the power out of such a short barrel to get proper penetration to make it a reliable stopper.

Given the size of what you;re looking at--I'd rather have a good, reliable, multi-shot pistol in a conventional caliber than those two any day.

Also, I've fired the standard derringer (I think it was a Bond) in .45 Colt. The are quite a handfull, and I can't say as I cared for it.

There are muche better choices for a defensive pistol imho.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
...Given the size of what you;re looking at--I'd rather have a good, reliable, multi-shot pistol in a conventional caliber than those two any day.

There are muche better choices for a defensive pistol imho.
Thanks for your reply. I have several concealed carry options presently (Ruger LCP, XD40SC, etc.), but I saw one of the Snake Slayers this last week and it looked well made and has provoked some Q&A for me. Just interested in hearing the feedback, and specifically, the Bond Arms derringers, because from what I've heard, none of the others on the market can compare to it, but again, that is an "opinion."

Enjoy your weekend~
Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33675
My wife has one of the snakeslayers in .410/.45 colt. It's not as bad as you would think. Hers has the 3.5" barrels. She carries it sometimes but she carries her M&P9c the most. She uses an IWB holster. And it's very well made. It does OK out to about 6-7 yds. with any buckshot, or colt load.
coconutdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutdave View Post
My wife has one of the snakeslayers in .410/.45 colt. It's not as bad as you would think. Hers has the 3.5" barrels. She carries it sometimes but she carries her M&P9c the most. She uses an IWB holster. And it's very well made. It does OK out to about 6-7 yds. with any buckshot, or colt load.
Thanks for stopping by.

They do appear to be very well made, as I have seen several of the different models. I was curious, what is your thought on the difference between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels on the Snake Slayers? Much difference (recoil, distance, etc.)?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
They nice guns and fun toys. But i would not want to carry it they are large and heavy for what they are. I would much rather carry my NAA pug or Black widow.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
bond arms concealed carry 2013
bond arms derringer review
bond arms holsters
bond arms ranger derringer review
bond arms ranger ii review
bond arms recoil reviews
bond arms review
bond arms reviews

bond arms snake slayer review

bond arms snake slayer reviews

bond derringer reviews
derringers reviews
snake slayer review
snake slayer reviews

snake slayer vs ranger

what is the difference between bond arms snake slayer and bond arms snake slayer iv
Click on a term to search for related topics.