• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ruger: 22/45 vs. MK III differences?

This is a discussion on Ruger: 22/45 vs. MK III differences? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Whats the differences in these and does the heavy/bull/target barrels make a difference vs. the standard barrels?...

Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41535
Ruger: 22/45 vs. MK III differences?

Whats the differences in these and does the heavy/bull/target barrels make a difference vs. the standard barrels?
Caniac-XD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
22/45 has a different grip angle and biggest difference? 22/45 has a polymer frame.

MK III has steel frame.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
If you shoot full-sized steel 1911s, the 5.5" bull barrel 22-45 will come closest to replicating the weight and feel of your 1911 45.

Thats what I have and have been shooting for the past 10 years and love it.

The MkIII has a more swept back grip like the Luger.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39443
The biggest difference between the 22/45 and the MKIII will be the weight (if compared between same length barrels between the models). The lower section of the 22/45 is plastic, the lower frame of the MKIII is steel. Based on specs I saw on the Ruger site, that's probably a 7-9 oz difference.

The 22/45 grip angle and "controls" supposedly mimics a 1911.

The slide lock (bolt lock in Ruger terms) on the 22/45 is the same style round knob that the safety has. On the MkIII, it's a lever, and a thin lever at that.

The grip on the 22/45 is thinner, and you better like what you get, the grips are part of the frame ala an XD.

Grips on a MkIII are easily changed, and the grip is wider.

Both models are available with the tapered barrel (fixed sights), the fluted bull barrel (Hunter models, fiber front sight, v notch read sight) and the Slab barrel (Target models, standard front sight, rectangular notch rear sight).

As to the heavier barrels (Hunter / Target) they will reduce muzze flip (I hear the .40 cal guys snickering). One touted advantage is the mass of the barrel will heat up less than the tapered barrels. So how fast and how much you going to shoot?

Best bet is to hold them and get a feel. Those that tout the 22/45 as a practice plaform for a 1911 ignore the facts that the trigger pull is different, and obviously the recoil. You could get a 22 upper for some models of 1911s, but they may end up costing as much as the Ruger.

Two things about the 22/45, it will be cheaper than a MkIII and the balance of it with a longer barrel will be different than the MkIII would be.

Alas, both the new models come with magazine disconnects and the loaded chamber indicator, some have argued that both contribute to feed problems. The magazine disconnect does add a couple of more steps in a field strip than a MkI or MkII had.

I've got a MKIII and was considering getting a 22/45. Magazines are different and when I release the magazine on a 22/45 in the gun shop, I had to position my hands in different way to prevent the magazine getting hung up on my finger - wouldn't drop out cleanly.

I'll probably end up getting another MKIII (different model than what I've got) because I've already got extra mags that will work and I am willing to spend the extra bucks for the feel of the steel. But if the balance and grip work better for you, the 22/45 will be the cheaper route.

Last edited by Old4Eyes; 02-02-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41535
Thanks!
Caniac-XD40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
22/45 vs mark 3
22/45 vs mark iii
difference between mark iii and 22 45

difference between mark iii and 22/45

difference between ruger 22/45 and mark iii

difference between ruger mark iii and 22 45

difference between ruger mk iii and 22 45
mark 3 vs 22/45
mk iii vs 22/45
mkiii vs 22/45
ruger 22/45 vs mkiii
ruger 22/45 vs ruger mark iii
ruger mark iii vs 22 45

ruger mark iii vs 22/45

ruger mark iii vs ruger 22 45
Click on a term to search for related topics.