• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Tap/Rack/Bang with Ruger 22/45?

This is a discussion on Tap/Rack/Bang with Ruger 22/45? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Hey guys, i have a ruger 22/45 that occasionally suffers from the failure to feed problem stemming from the mags (fortunately its only ever the ...

Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22304
Tap/Rack/Bang with Ruger 22/45?

Hey guys, i have a ruger 22/45 that occasionally suffers from the failure to feed problem stemming from the mags (fortunately its only ever the 1st rnd.) The solution if an other gun doesnt feed is to smack the back of the slide, now i had been doing this with the 22/45, and it works. But a question popped into my head last time i did it: does "tapping" the back of the slide to chamber the round put me at risk of setting off the round WAY out of battery?
With centerfire i know that it is impossible to do, but i just dont know enough about rimfire stability to know if i am doing something potentially dangerous.
zWarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
I have a 22-45, too but its a pretty reliable beast and only misfeeds on cheapo ammo or when its really filthy. I am a huge fan of the 22-45 and have shot one for around 10 years. Mine gets quite a workout with my wife and daughter blazing away with it all the time! LOL

It is ONLY doing this on the first round out of a fully loaded mag?

When it jams, is it failing to go into battery and only halfway closed with the round mostly in the chamber or is it hung on the feedramp at an angle? I ask, because both FTF and failure to go into battery can be caused by different things.

If its failing to go into battery, you might need a stronger recoil spring in the pistol. No problemmo...Wolff makes them and they're cheap. Worth a try. I'd also swap the springs in the magazines. It is possible that they can come from the factory on the weak side.

I'd also check the chamber and make very sure that you have it cleaned out really well and that there is not some sort of fouling that has built up where the chamber engages the rifling. Sometimes, with filthy lead ammo, you can get fouling there that is hard to see, but is just enough to cause rounds to not seat all the way in the chamber and cause failures to go into battery.

Good luck...sounds like a small and fixable problem.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39578
Mine jammed, failed to go fully to battery, ftf, fte...you name the failure and my 22/45 did it regularly. It could be pretty well counted on to have at least one failure per magazine and as many as six regardless of ammo. It took filing down all large burrs inside the receiver and finishing them with stones and sand paper as well as polishing the bolt itself. Once I removed the retarded magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator it has worked flawlessly, I did a trigger job while I was at it (no more grit) as well. This was all on a new gun too.

Mine WILL fire out of battery by about 1/8th inch but the hammer swats it shut to about 1/16th or so, if you are doing your tap-rack-bang drill and it manages to go off I would say you must be really whacking it hard! I would be more concerned with cutting a case or projectile in half on the feed ramp doing that.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
22 45 failure to feed
22/45 failure to feed
22/45 ftf
22/45 ftf fix
failure to fire in ruger 22/45
magwell for ruger 22/45

ruger 22 45 failure to feed

ruger 22/45 fail to feed

ruger 22/45 failure to feed

ruger 22/45 failure to fire
ruger 22/45 failure to go into battery
ruger 22/45 firing out of battery
ruger mark iii fail to seat
ruger mark iii out of battery
ruger22/45 ftf
why does my ruger 22/45 fail to feed
Click on a term to search for related topics.