• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Beretta's New Military Rifle

This is a discussion on Beretta's New Military Rifle within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; From "The Shooting Wire" Beretta Rolling Out New Military Rifle The Italian Ministry of Defense has become the first military group to receive shipments of ...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7955
Beretta's New Military Rifle

From "The Shooting Wire"

Beretta Rolling Out New Military Rifle

The Italian Ministry of Defense has become the first military group to receive shipments of Beretta's new ARX-160 automatic rifle. The first 1,600 units have been delivered subsequent to the ARX-160's having been formally approved by the Italian Army in March.

Beretta's new ARX-160 automatic rifle with matching GLX 160 grenade launcher attached. The GLX 160 can be removed, attached to a second modular stock and used independently. You saw it here first.
The rifle, featuring the modularity that has become a virtual requirement in most soldier of the future projects worldwide, has been kept quiet in this country, but was shown and ordered in the DESi 2009 in London. The rifle, along with its matching GLX 160 40mm Grenade Launcher, has also been delivered to Albanian Special Forces, with Mexico also being in line for the new 5.56 select-fire rifles.

On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to fire a working prototype of the new ARX-160. I was impressed with the performance of this piston rifle and its unique features. First, I have to admit a bias- I love select-fire weapons systems and a system that is easily disassembled (and reassembled) in the field. This rifle can be broken down without any tools - and has no loose pins, springs or fasteners to be lost.

Quick change doesn't really do the system justice. This one could be called "fast change" - and needs no tools.
Even more impressive - at least to me - Beretta's quick-change barrel system. Using two hands, again with no tools, a user can choose from several barrel options, make the change from short, -mid, to -precision length barrel, and be back in action in seconds.

The rifle's also built to quickly adjust to accommodate shooters. The collapsible and foldable stock features length of pull adjustments, magazine release, safety and charging handles are all reversible and selectable, and the rifle has the requisite left, right, top and bottom utility rails to handle virtually any piece of gear or optics system you'd like to attach.

If you've run the AR-style rifle, you'll find the ARX-160 different in some ways, but very familiar in others. There's a right (or left) side magazine release, along with a unique combination bolt and/or magazine release lever incorporated into the trigger guard. Since it runs using standard AR magazines, you'll also find it very similar there, too.

With the stock folded, the ARX-160 makes a very compact package. The rifle features sling mounts in no fewer than five potential locations.
Shooting the rifle in the semi-auto mode, however, doesn't really feel like the AR. In the full-auto mode, it's nothing like a standard AR operating system. As with any piston system, the gas discharged by rounds is used to cycle the system instead of the system on standard ARs. It also means less felt recoil -and significantly lessened muzzle rise in full-auto fire. In short and sustained bursts, the rifle stayed on target, making it seem to be a likely candidate for any military or law enforcement unit.

This is by no means a full description of the rifle, but we wanted to let you know that other candidates as the replacement rifle for the venerable AR-style weapon system are out there.

As always, we'll keep you posted.

- Jim Shepherd
Remove Ads
Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 32778
Is it just me, or does it look a lot like the SCAR? And I'm guessing the grenade launcher is some variation of the AG36.
Anyhow, I'm sure it'll prove to be a good weapons system. I just don't really see the DoD investing in it, considering there's already a fair degree of stock put into H&K and FN.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 41213
I saw some documentary on the Military Channel some months ago that showed a small robot that looking like a little R2D2 that supposedly can fire a round and hit a target the size of a nickel at 300 meters.

Makes me wonder if we are seeing the last of human soldiers someday and that there is no need for a new rifle that would be used by humans.
Metsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 29568
I was walking out of wally today and went by the mag stand and saw on the cover of one the mags "Beretta .223" or something. I had to do a double take however I could not read it I was in a hurry.
JonXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 16151
cool facter is about zero
devilslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 36516
Looks like a SCAR.
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 16151
looks very bulky
devilslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41102
Not really a fan of the SCAR so this Beretta isn't anything special to me. Looking forward to the release of the Bushy ACR though!!!
Ibasiuyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25552
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchingHour View Post
Is it just me, or does it look a lot like the SCAR? And I'm guessing the grenade launcher is some variation of the AG36.
Anyhow, I'm sure it'll prove to be a good weapons system. I just don't really see the DoD investing in it, considering there's already a fair degree of stock put into H&K and FN.
I was thinking the same thing.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Now that is interesting...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
arx 160 for sale

arx 160 release date

arx-160 us release

arx160 release date
beretta 2013 arx160 release date
beretta arx 100 release date

beretta arx 160 release date

beretta arx 160 us release
beretta arx 160 us release date
beretta arx release date

beretta arx-160 release date

beretta arx160 release date

beretta new rifle, axr
release date for beretta arx160
what new military rifles
Click on a term to search for related topics.