• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Wash your gun with water?

This is a discussion on Wash your gun with water? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by MagicPie I do that often, using a ultrasonic cleaner, water and dish soap. No problems, but it's very important to rinse it ...

Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23857
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPie View Post
I do that often, using a ultrasonic cleaner, water and dish soap. No problems, but it's very important to rinse it well, and dry.

I know I never get all the water out, as I don't do detail strips, but as long as you oil the gun, and keep it in a climate controlled room, opposed to locked in a box, rust is never a problem. Verified when I do, do detail strips.

Ultrasonic, soap and water, works far better then any gun cleaner by the way.
What kind of soap do you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?
What guns do you clean it?

What guns / finishes / parts would you NOT clean in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Sorry to thread hijack and feel free to redirect me. It is just that I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and I am not sure how to use it on guns.

Chapie+
Chapie+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26943
I just use any dish washing soap, they all work the same to me. Dishwashing soap will ensure nothing can really go wrong, it's when people start adding degreasers, and various cleaners where problems occur.

Typically I use put a drop or two of soap, and add more after I wash a few things, or if it was really dirty then replace the water and soap. Afterward, rinse with tap water, shake the parts dry, and proceed to wipe what crude remains, towel dry, oil, etc.

I clean whatever gun will fit from a field strip, I do barrel, and springs together. Later the slide, and then frame. Things work best if you don't put too much in there, the lesser insider the better the result. If it's too big and bulky, then I just hold a section of the part in the water, and rotate.

Normally nothing goes in for more then a minute or two, with the exception of say, a AR15 bolt and carrier, that go for 5 minutes.

I have heard not to use ultrasonic on aluminum framed guns, I however do it all the time. Just I keep it in there for only a few seconds instead, and my ultrasonic is not industrial grade, so I doubt it could ever really cause a problem.

Following these steps, normal soap, limited amount of time, and careful over watch. I never had a problem, while too getting a gun is nearly spotless, minus a few areas that need a extra wipe.

Last edited by MagicPie; 09-24-2009 at 06:04 PM.
MagicPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius1963 View Post
Use really hot, or boiling water and it will dry pretty quickly.
Yes...A preferred method for black powder barrels.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
ADA
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28660
Basic training night infiltration. Dummy bombs going off. Tracers overhead. Face down in soupy mud a foot deep. After that we all took our M14's in the shower with us. Only way to get the mud off. Had to pass inspection the next morning. Fun times.
"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'" -Ken Konecki
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
I like brake cleaner instead. It's REAL cheap...I think the last big can I bought was $3, and it's lasted a couple brake jobs and a dozen gun cleanings. Eats just about everything, works MUCH better then water. The only drawback is that you should probably wear gloves and glasses while doing it. The pressurized can also helps get some of the carbon and dirt and crap out of tight spaces.
+1

Don't get that **** in your eyes, man. BLEEVE ME! Not pleasant.
"Who will govern the governors? There is only one force in the nation that can be depended upon to keep the government pure and the governors honest, and that is the people themselves. They alone, if well informed, are capable of preventing the corruption of power, and of restoring the nation to its rightful course if it should go astray. They alone are the safest depository of the ultimate powers of government."

- Thomas Jefferson
Slade797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 36576
Brake clean, the other white mace.
Dubyagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade797 View Post
+1

Don't get that **** in your eyes, man. BLEEVE ME! Not pleasant.
YES, safety glasses and nitrile gloves. It'll eat through regular latex gloves.

Brake cleaner works great, by the way. It's the same exact thing is the "Gun Scrubber" stuff that sells for 2-3 times as much. Just remember that most brake cleaner will damage any plastic/wood surfaces, so I wouldn't recommend using it on a Glock or anything
merc545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6481
I wash my AK's in the bathtub
blefferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
Non chlorinated brake cleaner won't harm plastics...at least those used in firearms. It's also much better for your skin and lungs...i.e. it doesn't eat away your insides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 37792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
I like brake cleaner instead. It's REAL cheap...I think the last big can I bought was $3, and it's lasted a couple brake jobs and a dozen gun cleanings. Eats just about everything, works MUCH better then water. The only drawback is that you should probably wear gloves and glasses while doing it. The pressurized can also helps get some of the carbon and dirt and crap out of tight spaces.
Oooh and it smells good too.... Whoa!!! Like what?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

can i rinse my gun with water

can i use soap and water to clean a glock

can i wash a stainless steel gun in water

can i wash my glock with soap and water

can you clean a gun with water

can youclean a gun with soap and water
clean your gun with water really
dirty guns soap and water
is it ok to clean a gun with water?
is it ok to clean my gun in water

is it safe to wash gun with water

wash gun in soap and water to remove
wash gun water

wash your pistol with hot water

washing a gun in water

washing your shotgun with water

Click on a term to search for related topics.