• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Rock Island Armory 1911?

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I have a RIA tactical 1911 with 1000 rounds through it and never had any problem what so ever not like the Kimbers i used ...

Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16849
I have a RIA tactical 1911 with 1000 rounds through it and never had any problem what so ever not like the Kimbers i used to own(key word used to own).
Quote:
Originally Posted by real_m3 View Post
Aren't the RIA's made in the Phillipines? Low labor costs would account for the bargain prices. I have no experience with them and don't know the quality of the material or the quality of the company when they assemble them. I know that a lot of 1911's were modified on the Norinco models and they were made in China. As I recall they had some concerns on the hardness of the frames and slides......mettalurgy not up to standard. Does anyone have any experience with the RIA after it's been shot a lot? Any frame or slide issues?

Mike
vikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22603
For what it's worth, I've been reading that RIA slides are no longer cast. They are some kind of extrusion that is then CNC milled.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #33
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23238
Quote:
Aren't the RIA's made in the Phillipines? Low labor costs would account for the bargain prices. I have no experience with them and don't know the quality of the material or the quality of the company when they assemble them. I know that a lot of 1911's were modified on the Norinco models and they were made in China. As I recall they had some concerns on the hardness of the frames and slides......mettalurgy not up to standard. Does anyone have any experience with the RIA after it's been shot a lot? Any frame or slide issues?

Mike
I have 6300+ rnds through my RIA GI I bought for 379.00 in 06. I had a few ftf's in the first 200 rnds due to a crap magazine thast was sold with it (not the mag that usually comes with them) after switching to kimber ss pro mags not another problem. There is not difference in the slide or frame and believe me when I say I've put some of the biggest nastiest looking HP's +P and otherwise through it in these 3 years. The finish sucks ass I admit that freely but I'm not too picky I like the wear it shows actually. As far as upgrading it depends on wether you want a super custom 1911 or just upgraded to a tactical type with the bevertail safety, night sights, ambi safties, bobbed hammer, ect. I finally have gotten the urge to start "upgrading mine to more or less the tactical model without the ambi safety. I have found that the sights are basically Colt 70 series cut and any sights you find for the 70 series will fit in the RIA. I have heard of people getting really good results using a RIA frame as the basework of their customs too. All I can say is mine is a hell and back 1911 that I trust my life to 100% even with the GI sights still on it. Good luck on your purchase I'm sure either way you choose will work out well for you. If you are just looking to upgrade to a tactical type just get the RIA tactical it already has all you would most likely want minus night sights or checkered frontstrap type stuff

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. Forbid it O' Mighty God for I know not what course others may take. But as for me, Give me Liberty or give me Death. - Patrick Henry
[/FONT]
RIA 1911 .45ACP
Uberti Millenium .45LC
Rossi 461 .357mag
Heritage SA .22lr/.22mag
Maverick security 88 12ga
Marlin 70 .22lr
Walther P22 .22lr
Savage Mark II .22lr

Last edited by charlie.45; 10-21-2009 at 09:50 PM.
charlie.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #34
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 15076
Quote:
Point taken, however Brazil has been making firearms for a long time. Taurus and FIE to name two. Armscorp is the only guns manufacturer in the PI that I know of and probably makes the RIA for export. They use investment casting and CNC machinery so their methods are up to date. Nothing against the RIA but it just wouldn't be my personal choice. I have Colts, SA's and a custom bulls eye gun using a Caspian frame and slide and all have been shot a lot with no problems. Everybody and I mean everybody makes a 1911 clone now. I'm just not comfortable with some of them.

Mike
Do your homework... Armscorp has been making firearms, 1911s and others since 1952 Taurus since 1941, not a big difference. Armscorp until about 3 years ago made all but the high high end STIs. If you are not a member, I suggest joining m1911.org and seeing 1st hand their customer service and support over there.

One of the best guns for the money on the market.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #35
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 14949
an excuse to post another picture of my RIA tactical.

little bit better quality this go round.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #36
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Bard View Post
Do your homework... Armscorp has been making firearms, 1911s and others since 1952 Taurus since 1941, not a big difference. Armscorp until about 3 years ago made all but the high high end STIs. If you are not a member, I suggest joining m1911.org and seeing 1st hand their customer service and support over there.

One of the best guns for the money on the market.
Thats what I have discovered with my research. Rock Island Armory has a lifetime warranty so if any problems arise send it back for repair or replacement. They don't cost an arm and a leg so people badmouth them thinking they can't be very good quality. I will be purchasing mine in the next couple months and hope I'm as happy as the other owners have been with theirs.
jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #37
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Thumbs up

It will do one thing an XD-45 won't.......Digest semi-wadcutters...

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #38
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
It will do one thing an XD-45 won't.......Digest semi-wadcutters...
never tried shooting them in my XD but indeed they shoot out of my RIA as well
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. Forbid it O' Mighty God for I know not what course others may take. But as for me, Give me Liberty or give me Death. - Patrick Henry
[/FONT]
RIA 1911 .45ACP
Uberti Millenium .45LC
Rossi 461 .357mag
Heritage SA .22lr/.22mag
Maverick security 88 12ga
Marlin 70 .22lr
Walther P22 .22lr
Savage Mark II .22lr
charlie.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #39
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.45 View Post
never tried shooting them in my XD but indeed they shoot out of my RIA as well
To be fair, some have experenced no problem with this profile in their XD's, but the majority have.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #40
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27193
Quote:
Nothing against the RIA but it just wouldn't be my personal choice. I have Colts, SA's and a custom bulls eye gun using a Caspian frame and slide and all have been shot a lot with no problems. Everybody and I mean everybody makes a 1911 clone now. I'm just not comfortable with some of them.
Mike
I also own Colts, Dan Wesson's, Kimber's, and Springfield's 1911"s along with a RIA. The RIA I own has been every bit as reliable as the more expensive platforms. Very good entry level 1911. Inexpensive is not always synonymous with cheaply made. Nothing cheap about them other than price IMO.

The corporation was founded in 1952. Armscor makes its own line of firearms but also takes on manufacturing contracts for other companies' firearm lines, including STI's Spartan pistol line, Charles Daly and Auto Ordance 1911 pistols. Armscor is an ISO 9001 certified using CNC equipment. Its producting facilties are as modern as any maker in the US.

When I leave the home port........Springfield XD (9mm), Glock 19, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, CZ RAMI (9mm), SIG P6, S&W 642 Airweight, Kahr CW40, Star Firestar, Browning Hi Power, Dan Wesson Pointman 7, Colt Commander, CZ 82, Bulgarian Makarov, S&W Mod. 10, Ruger Police Service Six, Colt Detective Sp., Ruger SP101

Last edited by Pirate; 10-22-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

1911, 45 auto, armory, rock island, springfield

Search tags for this page
1911 ria
3 rock island 1911
custom rock island armory 1911
customized rock island 1911

ria 1911

ria 1911 gi
rock island 1911

rock island armory 1911

rock island armory 1911 gi
rock island armory 1911 parts
rock island armory 1911 upgrades
rock island armory frame material
rock island armory gi
rock island compact 1911 frame hardness
where are rock island 1911 made
where is rock island armory made
Click on a term to search for related topics.