• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Rock Island Armory 1911?

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; $389 for barebones RIA and $489 for RIA Tactical...

Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24169
$389 for barebones RIA and $489 for RIA Tactical
Maddcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
Buying a low end 1911 with the intention of upgrading it is fine. But you have to accept that most times you will spend twice as much money in the long run than you would have if you had just gotten what you wanted in the first place.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Another happy owner of a RIA Tactical.

I think it's the best way to go unless one really, truly wants a bare-bones M1911A1--then get the RIA GI model.

And, as a former owner of a Springfield 1911...the Springfield really isn't a higher-quality pistol. Maybe a nicer finish, but that's about it. You just pay more for the crossed-cannon rollmark.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Another happy owner of a RIA Tactical.

I think it's the best way to go unless one really, truly wants a bare-bones M1911A1--then get the RIA GI model.

And, as a former owner of a Springfield 1911...the Springfield really isn't a higher-quality pistol. Maybe a nicer finish, but that's about it. You just pay more for the crossed-cannon rollmark.
And the forging!

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
RIAs are fine not sure they are worth upgrading all that much, but from my albeit limited experience shooting 1911s, I would NEVER buy one without a beavertail.

If you look around for 700 you can get a nice either new old stock or lightly used 1911
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
The RIA is a good base "no frills" pistol.
+1
Although I probably disagree with Frenchy in saying that the RIA has all of the features you'd get on a SA GI 1911 without the cost.

IMO, the only differences are the name and "place of manufacture" which subsequently accounts for the price differences.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
And the forging!
Caspian frames and slides are cast and you never hear people bad mouthing them...

I'm just saying for some things it's probably very important that if it's forged and not cast, handguns aren't one of them.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krackels View Post
Caspian frames and slides are cast and you never hear people bad mouthing them...

I'm just saying for some things it's probably very important that if it's forged and not cast, handguns aren't one of them.
I gotta disagree here with hot ammo its a big deal, anything under the label of .45 ACP +P it won't matter.

Now something like a hot 10mm I think it would definitely matter. Something in .44 magnum or bigger I think it would matter as well. but .45s are such low PSI I think your right.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 16467
RIA has an excellent track record for CS.

Check out The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Armscor/Rock Island and see.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Deadcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krackels View Post

Did I bad-mouth anything here? I was suggesting that the cost of producing forged frames vs. cast frames is higher. Todays investment castings are very strong.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

1911, 45 auto, armory, rock island, springfield

Search tags for this page
1911 ria
3 rock island 1911
custom rock island armory 1911
customized rock island 1911

ria 1911

ria 1911 gi
rock island 1911

rock island armory 1911

rock island armory 1911 gi
rock island armory 1911 parts
rock island armory 1911 upgrades
rock island armory frame material
rock island armory gi
rock island compact 1911 frame hardness
where are rock island 1911 made
where is rock island armory made
Click on a term to search for related topics.