• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Wards Western Field 22 Rifle

This is a discussion on Wards Western Field 22 Rifle within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Guys, I have my Dads 14th birthday present a Wards Western Field 22 S., L, LR, rifle. It's in decent shape for being over 60 ...

Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20092
Wards Western Field 22 Rifle

Guys,

I have my Dads 14th birthday present a Wards Western Field 22 S., L, LR, rifle. It's in decent shape for being over 60 years old. he told me that he was sure that Mossberg built it.

Can anyone verify that?

Any suggestions on how to get a manual for this rifle.

I want to restore it for him as a XMAS present, and I thought this would be a good place to start.

The stock is Walnut and in very good shape, a couple of nicks but not bad. The barrell has some pitting and I'm not sure how to address that, any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.
sldghmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 11710
I can see what my gun values book says in the back when I get home. It has a cross reference in the back.

Note to self: Check Gun Values Book for sldghmr

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.

--- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

Current Listings on GunListings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
CyBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 11710
OK. I found the Western Field Cross Reference. Most of the original models were made by mossberg. If you can get me a model number of the western field i might be able to say for sure.

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.

--- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

Current Listings on GunListings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
CyBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Thank you for your help.

I've done research myself and it is a Mossmerg 42, bolt action repeater.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 3754
Location: The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a trailer with thunderstorms looming in the distance.
How about some pics?
Would you Dad be upset if it was refinished?
These tend to do better value wise in original condition.
How are the sights, are they all there? There is a side mounted peep that is often missing.
hobocircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

I will try and post pics.

The side peep sight is missing, and I'm trying to locate a new one, or used one.

He doesn't know why I wanted it, it was my intention to refinish it.

I can't imagine that I would be interested in selling it, I bet it will turn out to be one heck of a good shooter, it weighs a ton for a 22 riffle. The iron sights were very advanced compared to what normally is standard on new rifles. Even though the rear peep sight is gone. it still has a a mid - rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation very easily, along with a selection of front sights (3) that click into position.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38517
I have a rifle similar to what you describe. Try Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts they have parts and information.
XDdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks XDriver, I went to the link, man I could really surprise my Dad with a scope mount and scope, but he propably would rather keep it as it was. I wonder if the peep is better then the mid-rears?

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38517
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldghmr View Post
Thanks XDriver, I went to the link, man I could really surprise my Dad with a scope mount and scope, but he propably would rather keep it as it was. I wonder if the peep is better then the mid-rears?

Any thoughts?
The rifle I have is a Western Field equivilent to a Mossberg Model 46. It came with the Mossberg No4 peep site. The sight is incomplete and the inserts for the front sight are gone. My grandfather shot this rifle at a local indoor club back in the late 1940's. The Mossberg No4 is almost impossible to find so I will be ordering a similar replacement from Havlin this fall some time. I like peep sights, I shoot M1Garands and have put a Williams peep on my Ruger 10/22. I would not put a scope on my Western Field, but your choice is up to you depending on what you want to do with your rifle.
XDdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDdriver View Post
The rifle I have is a Western Field equivilent to a Mossberg Model 46. It came with the Mossberg No4 peep site. The sight is incomplete and the inserts for the front sight are gone. My grandfather shot this rifle at a local indoor club back in the late 1940's. The Mossberg No4 is almost impossible to find so I will be ordering a similar replacement from Havlin this fall some time. I like peep sights, I shoot M1Garands and have put a Williams peep on my Ruger 10/22. I would not put a scope on my Western Field, but your choice is up to you depending on what you want to do with your rifle.
I agree with with you, I shoot a M1A and I'm much more accurate with it than my Swiss K31.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
scope mount for a western field 47c mossberg

ward western feild iron sights

ward's western field 14m 491a
wards western feild 47a

wards western field 22 value

wards western field no 46 22 s-l-lr date

wards western field, 04m 495 a. 22 s l lr. worth

western field .22 rifle

western field 32-22

western field model 32 22 long rifle

western field model 32-22 sl lr

western field rifle 22
Click on a term to search for related topics.