• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

10/22 problems after new barrel & stock ?

This is a discussion on 10/22 problems after new barrel & stock ? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Well I went to MidwayUSA's scratch and dent sale today.. Some awesome prices, well worth the 60 mile round trip. Ended up picking up a ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » 10/22 problems after new barrel & stock ?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
10/22 problems after new barrel & stock ?

Well I went to MidwayUSA's scratch and dent sale today.. Some awesome prices, well worth the 60 mile round trip. Ended up picking up a new stock and 18" bull barrell for $20 each for my old Ruger 10/22. The stock is the synthetic Fajen Legacy series with adjustable cheek rest and the bull barrel is an 18" Adams & Bennett.

It went together well, but now when I shoot the first shot just click, no fire, I have to drop the magazine, recock the slide, then it shoots. Same thing every time, feeds the round but will not fire a round with the mag in, and a few of the spent cases would not eject, I had to pry them out with a thin screw driver. I cleaned the barrel after initial assembly with some Hopps #9 and cotton pads, was already very clean. Do I maybe need to oil?

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Last edited by iCreek; 08-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.
iCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 39315
ask on rimfirecentral. they know everything and anything about the 10/22
9mmPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33037
Seems like I remember that the recoil isnt able to reset the firing pin. That would explain why you have to manually cock it each time. Maybe there is something in the new stock that is out of spec?
carhartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
Is the bolt closing all the way? If the barrel is twisted a little either direction the extractor wont go inside the barrel to pick up the next shell. Also, pressure would escape and not re-cycle the action.
eb_311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38299
I'd recomend using a rod to remove the stuck shells. is the hammer not dropping or not cocking? is the ejector properly aligned with the barrel?. stock trigger group or aftermarket (adjustable sear?)? have you tried differant ammo?

first I'd reinstall the barrel make sure it's fully seated (had a lot of work to get the stock barrel out of mine and lots of polishing on the reciever to get the new one in, newer 10/22 with flat black finish).
next I'd tear apart the trigger group, if it has an adjustable sear (powers custom) it may need some adjustment, the more you shorten the trigger pull the more difficult it becomes to reset the trigger especially after the shock of fireing. if factory just make sure everything is clean and lubed. take a close look at the stock, make sure it's not somehow forcing the mag to high or at an angle, preasure on the bolt may be slowing bolt and not traveling far enough to reset hammer, this shouldn't in theory be possible.
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 37396
Damn wish I would have went to that. I have been looking for a bull barrel. If the very first round will not fire I dont think it could be a lack of recoil because you are cocking the gun when you pull back and release the bolt. Is it possible the firing pin is hitting the barrel instead of the round because the mag is pushing the bolt up slightly? Seems like I read about this happening on RFC.
1852legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17248
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_311 View Post
Is the bolt closing all the way? If the barrel is twisted a little either direction the extractor wont go inside the barrel to pick up the next shell. Also, pressure would escape and not re-cycle the action.
That there sounds exactly like what I would recommend you looking for. I had almost the same problem with mine once I changed to a Hogue stock and Green Mountain bull barrel.

What I did was to remove the barrel again, make sure the notch for the extractor is smooth and burr free. Then make sure you exactly align the extractor notch to the extractor claw when you reassemble.

Remove the bolt assembly and check the extractor. It needs to be in good shape as well. I had to get a new extractor claw from Power Custom.

Also, the new barrel will likely have a tight chamber. I have had problems using 40gr bullets and try to always use 36gr or 38gr at the largest. I helped mine out a bit by polishing the chamber using a battery drill, brass .22LR bore brush chucked up in the drill and dipped lightly in metal polish compound. Make sure you go no deeper than just the chamber area and not into the rifling. You will know when it is enough by dropping a .22LR 40 grain bullet into the chamber and it should fall almost all the way in except for about the last 3/16".
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Tally XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhartt View Post
Seems like I remember that the recoil isnt able to reset the firing pin. That would explain why you have to manually cock it each time. Maybe there is something in the new stock that is out of spec?
Yeah I thought that, when it does shoot after manual cock, it does recoil the action and feed the next round, it appears to be closing the bolt but it just clicks, then once I manually cock the action, it then fires, usually, not every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_311 View Post
I think it is closing all the way, I will pay more attention tomorrow. I removed the barrel again late this afternoon, it goes in tight, have to tap it with a mallet, and I did not look as close as I should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel970 View Post
I'd recomend using a rod to remove the stuck shells. is the hammer not dropping or not cocking? is the ejector properly aligned with the barrel?. stock trigger group or aftermarket (adjustable sear?)? have you tried differant ammo?

first I'd reinstall the barrel make sure it's fully seated (had a lot of work to get the stock barrel out of mine and lots of polishing on the reciever to get the new one in, newer 10/22 with flat black finish).
Good tip on the rod, makes more sense to push than pull. Not sure about the hammer or if the ejector is properly aligned with the barrel. It is all stock, and very old, 1966 model, not shot a bunch, but only cleaned for maintenance. I might polish the receiver a little by hand, so the new barrel slides in better, without as much force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1852legend View Post
Damn wish I would have went to that. I have been looking for a bull barrel. If the very first round will not fire I dont think it could be a lack of recoil because you are cocking the gun when you pull back and release the bolt. Is it possible the firing pin is hitting the barrel instead of the round because the mag is pushing the bolt up slightly? Seems like I read about this happening on RFC.
It was a great event, tons of deals. Not sure how I can tell if the firing pin is not hitting the 22lr and the barrel instead, I guess I could look at the first round after the click and see what it looks like (for marks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
That there sounds exactly like what I would recommend you looking for. I had almost the same problem with mine once I changed to a Hogue stock and Green Mountain bull barrel.

What I did was to remove the barrel again, make sure the notch for the extractor is smooth and burr free. Then make sure you exactly align the extractor notch to the extractor claw when you reassemble.

Remove the bolt assembly and check the extractor. It needs to be in good shape as well. I had to get a new extractor claw from Power Custom.
I will pull the barrel tomorrow and make sure the notch is burr free, seems like it looked a little rough, if that is the small notch on the receiver side of new barrel, I did try to make sure it was lined up, but might be off a little or rough shape. Might also check into a new extractor claw, all the stuff inside is stock 1966 model.

Thanks everyone, I will keep the thread updated on what I am doing and trying.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Like I said I will tear it apart again tomorrow, and pay more attention to things lining up. Here is a before and after pic. Got the stock for $20, barrel for $20, and the Bushnell scope for $30. So for $70 I think it was a heck of an upgrade.

Last edited by iCreek; 08-29-2009 at 08:49 PM.
iCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38299
that's a whole lot of upgrade for $70, how does it feel to almost be theif? nice find.

i was happy when I got my stock on clearance to $110 (boyd's evolution) and barrel on sale for $99 (green mountion aero).

to be honest I'd bet your 1966 reciever is better than my 2005 and I'd love to have your metal trigger housing, mine is polymer.
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

10/22 barrel alignment

10/22 extractor claw upgrade
adams and bennett bull barrel
custom 10/22 wont feed
has anyone customized stock stock 10/22 ruger
in ruger10/22 shells are hittin above chamber
misaligned 10/22 barrel
my 10/22 bull barrel is stuck in the reciever how do i get it out
ruger 10 22 feeding problems
ruger 10 22 hogue stock problems

ruger 10/22 feeding problems

ruger 10/22 not ejecting shells

Click on a term to search for related topics.