• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

10 Gauge

This is a discussion on 10 Gauge within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; So I'm on youtube dicking around, and like most of my gun purchases, in an impulse, I want a 10 gauge shotgun now. Really for ...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22936
10 Gauge

So I'm on youtube dicking around, and like most of my gun purchases, in an impulse, I want a 10 gauge shotgun now. Really for no other reason than to hurt my shoulder and to say I have one.

Does anyone have one here, or have you shot one? What's the cheapest 10 gauge I can get? There is a single shot H&R on gunbroker for $175.
coldsolderjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 6823
I have my grandfathers Williams & CO double barrel 10ga. Bob White style trigger.

I also got about 100 shells, and have had it proof tested and fired it twice...

Hurts like a ******.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

O
ne Big A$$ Mistake America

xd4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24900
Why The 10 Gauge Shotgun is Obsolete

- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”

Patrick Henry
shacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 29327
I shot a 10 gauge once...many many years ago....and by once...I mean once....I would not shoot it again. The family friend who started my addiction to firearms as a teenager was an avid collector. I remember had a mounted Punt Gun....something like an 8 gauge shot gun that was used in commercial waterfowling in the 1800s. I've only seen one other Punt gun at a gun show a few years back....I think the dealer claimed if shot something like a pound or more of shot and the gun would be mounted on the front of a boat. They are more like cannons then shotguns.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

cooks128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23892
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsolderjoint View Post
So I'm on youtube dicking around, and like most of my gun purchases, in an impulse, I want a 10 gauge shotgun now. Really for no other reason than to hurt my shoulder and to say I have one.

Does anyone have one here, or have you shot one? What's the cheapest 10 gauge I can get? There is a single shot H&R on gunbroker for $175.

With the single shot H&R 10ga i would also wear a cup. Nothing wrong with a 10ga. as long as it is the right platform. I have shot many a 10. I do like the 10 in a semi-auto. The gas system cuts the recoil way down.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24716
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks128 View Post
I shot a 10 gauge once...many many years ago....and by once...I mean once....I would not shoot it again. The family friend who started my addiction to firearms as a teenager was an avid collector. I remember had a mounted Punt Gun....something like an 8 gauge shot gun that was used in commercial waterfowling in the 1800s. I've only seen one other Punt gun at a gun show a few years back....I think the dealer claimed if shot something like a pound or more of shot and the gun would be mounted on the front of a boat. They are more like cannons then shotguns.
I remember reading something similar once upon a time, that commercial hunters in England would mount a big-a** 4 or 8 gauge gun to the bow of the boat, row up to a flock of ducks and let loose. The recoil would knock the boat back a few dozen feet, then he'd just row back up and fill the boat. I'm gonna try to find some info...
Raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 3754
Location: The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a trailer with thunderstorms looming in the distance.
I've never fired one, but I've heard about them. The one that comes to mind is the Ithaca Roadblocker for law enforcement

Ithaca Mag-10 "RoadBlocker" 10 gauge Shotgun - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

If you want punishment, get a double barrel with twin triggers and pull both at the same time!
hobocircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

This is why I love the internet - instant history lesson! Turns out these big bores were used for big game back in the black powder days:

4 bore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Classic African Cartridges - The Giant Bores - 4 and 6

And it wouldn't be complete without a video of a guy firing a black powder 4 gauge:

4 Gauge Home Made Gun Being Test Fired - Video

I'm never gonna cry about full-bore .357's in my magnum again after this.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by shacobo View Post
I did not even click this link but I will wager a guess that it says: "Because 3-1/2" magnum 12 gauge shotguns exist."
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Found it:

Punt gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations. Punt guns were usually custom-designed and so varied widely, but could have bore diameters exceeding 2 inches and fire over a pound (0.5 kilos) of shot at a time.[1] A single shot could kill over 50 waterfowl resting on the water's surface. They were too big to hold and the recoil so large that they were mounted directly on the punts used for hunting, hence their name. Hunters would maneuver their punts quietly into line and range of the flock using poles or oars to avoid startling them. Generally the gun was fixed to the punt; thus the hunter would maneuver the entire boat in order to aim the gun. The guns were significantly powerful, and the punts themselves significantly small, that firing the gun often propelled the punt backwards several inches or more. To improve efficiency, hunters could work in fleets of up to around ten punts..."

A 10-gauge is probably the closest you'll get to something like that nowadays. Good luck with your search for one.

EDIT - Here's one in action: YouTube - Big Gun

Last edited by Raskolnikov; 07-22-2009 at 07:08 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
10 ga.roadblocker shotgun

10 gauge forum

10 gauge roadblocker shotgun

10 gauge shotgun forum

10 guage shotgun forums
10gauge shotgun forum
h&r 10 gauge shotgun forum

ithaca roadblocker 10 gauge

ithaca roadblocker 10 gauge riot guns for sale
ithica 10 ga. roadblocker shotgun
where to buyi a 10gauge shotgun
why the 10 ga. shotgun is obsolete
wts 10 gauge ohio
wts 10 gauge steel ammo ohio
youtube search for ithaca 10 gauge roadblocker shotgun
Click on a term to search for related topics.