• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Checking a used guns serial number

This is a discussion on Checking a used guns serial number within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; In the past when I've acquired a used gun it was either through a dealer or through a person whom I've known so the issue ...

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 29513
Checking a used guns serial number

In the past when I've acquired a used gun it was either through a dealer or through a person whom I've known so the issue of a firearms background has not come into play. But recently I've been looking to sell/trade a cheap motorcycle and an offer I got was for a gun and I'm very interested in making the trade but I'm a little leary of not knowing the history of the gun. I've asked to have the serial number emailed to me so I can reasearch it but I really don't know what to do next. Do I just call my local PD and tell them what's up?
jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
I doubt they'll do anything.

Create a bill of sale to CYA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35255
someone posted a link a bit ago that you could run the SN yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ScubaSteveXdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23792
Most local police depts will run the serial number...but all that will tell you is if its coming up stolen, and then if it does your required to turn in the firearm.

Get a bill of sale, or copy of persons drivers license to show who you obtained the firearm through if anything ever was to happen.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
Most local police depts will run the serial number...but all that will tell you is if its coming up stolen, and then if it does your required to turn in the firearm.

Get a bill of sale, or copy of persons drivers license to show who you obtained the firearm through if anything ever was to happen.
bill of sale that you right their drivers license on you copy it obviously. You should be fine with their signature by the date. If your really worried, loan it to a gun range and ask them to rent it out, until they have fired 2k rounds through it.
yocan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
In the past when I've acquired a used gun it was either through a dealer or through a person whom I've known so the issue of a firearms background has not come into play. But recently I've been looking to sell/trade a cheap motorcycle and an offer I got was for a gun and I'm very interested in making the trade but I'm a little leary of not knowing the history of the gun. I've asked to have the serial number emailed to me so I can reasearch it but I really don't know what to do next. Do I just call my local PD and tell them what's up?

In Tennessee we can run your serial number through NCIC but it will only tell if it is stolen or not . If you want a copy of the original owner it is a lot more complicated . Guns in Tn do not have to be registered like a car does .
When you run a car through NCIC is comes back with the current owners information and all . With guns it is stolen or not stolen .
Just call an officer out to your house or on the phone and give him the serial number and they should run it for you . We do it all the time .
Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel89 View Post
In Tennessee we can run your serial number through NCIC but it will only tell if it is stolen or not . If you want a copy of the original owner it is a lot more complicated . Guns in Tn do not have to be registered like a car does .
When you run a car through NCIC is comes back with the current owners information and all . With guns it is stolen or not stolen .
Just call an officer out to your house or on the phone and give him the serial number and they should run it for you . We do it all the time .
Man things are different out your way....try and call a MI cop to your house to do a courtesy serial check on a gun and you'll probably get laughed off the phone.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 15076
I always just write the serial down and go to the sheriff's office and ask them to run before I buy. They always oblige.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Man things are different out your way....try and call a MI cop to your house to do a courtesy serial check on a gun and you'll probably get laughed off the phone.

Are you serious? Thats really rude of them . We go out to verify V.I.N numbers and such all the time . If we laughed at someone like that we'd get in serious trouble.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel89 View Post
Are you serious? Thats really rude of them . We go out to verify V.I.N numbers and such all the time . If we laughed at someone like that we'd get in serious trouble.
Hell you should come out to Detroit. Unless someone just died or some guy is shooting everyone in sight the cops aren't coming. And even then you better not hold your breath.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

check gun serial numbers ohio

check out a guns serial number
gun serial number check online tn

gun serial number search

gun stolen serial number lookup ohio
how do i check out a serial number on a gun

kentucky gun serial number search

need to check serial number on a handgun
ohio serial numbers on guns
serialgunsearch.com

vin number check for gun

where to run a rifles numbers to see if it was used in a war
Click on a term to search for related topics.