• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Triple seven in a thompson 50cal hawken?

This is a discussion on Triple seven in a thompson 50cal hawken? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I'm not new to black powder, been doing it for about 15yrs now, but i have a question and i hope someone can give me ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » Triple seven in a thompson 50cal hawken?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24000
Question Triple seven in a thompson 50cal hawken?

I'm not new to black powder, been doing it for about 15yrs now, but i have a question and i hope someone can give me some ideas here. i have a 50cal thompson hawken in mint shape and with a 1-48 twist,so i will be shooting sabots with 200-240 bullets or the 245gr aerotip powerbelt bullet. can i safely shot triple seven power(not pellets) in the rifle and what max do you think i should stop at. I usually shoot 100 grains out of my other black powder rifles when i had them. Is it too hot or will i be ok if i stay at my 100 grain mark. THANKS!

Psalm 23:A psalm of David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
lilblkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
I always thought sabots needede 1/24 twist or higher to perform correctly... guess I was wrong. Look it up, it just sounds like for a sabot to do anything it would need at least some twist.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

i have always read that a 1-48 you can use both sabots and round ball and faster than 1-48 it is good to use only sabots because the twist will be to fast for the patch.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

the main question here is the powder type.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23892
My T/C 209x50 shoots the best with 80 loose grains of Pyrodex FFg with 248 grain Hornady Sabots. If i don't have any loose powder i find that you need to use more with the pellets. 110 gains with the 248 grain bullet.
I do not own the Hawken's yet. But some day.
With all three of my ML i find the loose powder to shot the best.
If i am not shooting sabots i always use a pre-lubed wad with conical bullets. I had a friend make up some soft 540 grain loads. He used the same mold that he makes is 500 S&W loads in.
540 grains with 150 grains of pellets shoot nice and pack one hell of a punch. On both ends.

With your Hawkens i would stay between 80 and 110 grains of ffg.
My BP Loading manual recommends max load for the Hawkens 110 powder volume = 109.6 grains of ffg powder.

You can also call T/C and ask what they recommend.
603-330-5659
tca_customerservice@tcarms.com
very good service and helpfull.

Last edited by Terry; 05-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 22548
Try asking here: Modern Muzzleloader :: Index

Great bunch of guy's with a lot of useful knowledge. They helped me out a lot.
husky390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8434
Yes, you can shoot Triple 7, Pyrodex or any other black posder substitute in your gun. The susbstitutes have conversion charts available to tell you X grains of substitute = Y grains of black powder.

100gr. equivelent should be fine. I use 110gr. equivelent Pyrodex in my Lyman Great Plains rifle.
Who dare while others fly...
They build a nation's pillars deep
And lift them to the sky. - Emerson

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzche
danp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks everybody! Great info!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
50 cal hawkins best loads
ammo used in thompson center .50 hawken

best loads for thompson center hawken

best lube to use with triple seven powder
best powder for 50 cal thompson center

best powder for hawken

can i shoot sabots in tc hawken with triple 7

can you use triple seven in a hawken

hawken.50 cal thompson center 100 grain to load
hawkins thompson center max load
optimal amount of triple 7 in tc hawkins rifle
powder loades for 50cal howkens with tripelseven
power belt bullets in a tc hawkins

thompson center hawken with power belts

tripple 7 pellets for black powder t/c 50 cal.

will tripple seven shoot good in a hawken

Click on a term to search for related topics.