• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

460 Rowland!!!

This is a discussion on 460 Rowland!!! within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I've got to have one! I'm going to have to buy a 1911 and convert it. For those that don't know, the 460 Rowland round ...

Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31917
460 Rowland!!!

I've got to have one!

I'm going to have to buy a 1911 and convert it.

For those that don't know, the 460 Rowland round is the 44magnum of automatic pistol rounds.

Imagine shooting a 185gr bullet at 1940 fps... hitting a target with over 1500 foot pounds of energy. LOL For those IDPA shooters, this renders a 358 power factor.

Get this.... you can still shoot your 45 acp ammo through it but, I imagine you'd have to change your recoil spring back to a 16 pound spring.

I'm going to have to buy a gun just to do this with. Maybe a springfield milspec or something like that and convert it with a clark kit. so, at the end of the day, you get a 45 auto that is like the 38 special and you can chamber 460 Rowland, which is, no doubt the 357 magnum that chambers in the same gun... except the Rowland cartridge is about the same energy as a real 44 magnum round.

Almost 2000 fps with a 185gr bullet!!!! Hell, that is serious energy.... Hell, a 308 will only shoot a 180gr bullet at about 2800fps. You can get 2000 fps from a pistol!!!!

All of you 10mm junkies, take note.

I want to go to the range and pull the drab little 1911 out... run of the mill 45 auto and go BOOM

I reload so, reloading them would be no big deal... just use my current reloading equipment. Just need the pistol conversion kit and the correct brass to reload. You shoot the same 45 acp bullets. This would be a novelty item and, nobody needs a pistol to shoot like a high powered rifle but, what a hoot! I'm not going to convert my expensive 1911 but, I'd love to get a little compact pistol maybe and make it shoot a one foot flame out the barrel! LOL It'd be small enough to carry. Hmmmm.

Here's a link: AKJ Concealco: Information About the .460 ROWLAND Cartridge

Don't miss this: YouTube - Johnny with MGI

Last edited by jwoolf; 04-19-2009 at 10:26 PM.
jwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33573
Wrong forum so your thread will probably get moved.

Anyway, the .460 Rowland isn't anything new. It's been around for years. And not for nuthin' but the .44 Automag is the .44 magnum of auto pistol rounds. It would be more accurate to say that the .460 Rowland is the .44 mag of 1911 pistol chamberings.

One question though. Where'd you find that 185/1,940 fps load?

Edit: Nevermind. That velocity is from a Mec Tec conversion (16" barrel), not a pistol. You must've missed that.

Last edited by HiVelSword; 04-20-2009 at 12:26 AM.
HiVelSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23549
even assuming you reload, this is in no way gonna be a cheap hobby! good luck with that!

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a
slave!"

"To protect yourself and the ones you love from the unthinkable, you must not dismiss the possible."
Perchjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
It would make a great round for pistol hunting pigs or anything else deer size. I would imagine that bullet construction would be the only downfall. I looked into this conversion at one time but passed it by.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31917
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVelSword View Post
Wrong forum so your thread will probably get moved.

Anyway, the .460 Rowland isn't anything new. It's been around for years. And not for nuthin' but the .44 Automag is the .44 magnum of auto pistol rounds. It would be more accurate to say that the .460 Rowland is the .44 mag of 1911 pistol chamberings.

One question though. Where'd you find that 185/1,940 fps load?

Edit: Nevermind. That velocity is from a Mec Tec conversion (16" barrel), not a pistol. You must've missed that.
Yeah, I did miss that. I don't know why anyone would "need", one of these but, I don't need one either but, you have to admit, it'd be fun to have. I've already got a nice 1911 that I wouldn't dream of doing this to but, if I found an old beater pistol that needs some love and convert it, I'd be pretty tempted to do that to it.

It's appealing because, 1.) you can use your existing die set to reload it. 2.) you can shoot the same bullets through it too. 3.) It fits the 1911 platform and, it will shoot in a standard but converted pistol.

I'll file this in the back of my head when I see an old milspec for cheap. Shooting something like this through a pistol would have to put some serious wear on it.

If there were a conversion for my XD, I'd buy it but, I doubt it will ever be. I'll find and old 1911 somewhere at some point.
jwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoolf View Post
Yeah, I did miss that. I don't know why anyone would "need", one of these but, I don't need one either but, you have to admit, it'd be fun to have. I've already got a nice 1911 that I wouldn't dream of doing this to but, if I found an old beater pistol that needs some love and convert it, I'd be pretty tempted to do that to it.

It's appealing because, 1.) you can use your existing die set to reload it. 2.) you can shoot the same bullets through it too. 3.) It fits the 1911 platform and, it will shoot in a standard but converted pistol.

I'll file this in the back of my head when I see an old milspec for cheap. Shooting something like this through a pistol would have to put some serious wear on it.

If there were a conversion for my XD, I'd buy it but, I doubt it will ever be. I'll find and old 1911 somewhere at some point.
Yeah, I really like the .460 Rowland too. I like the video you attached as well. I always heard about how controleable it was but I never saw one being shot. It's quite impressive. I too might go for a Springer Mil-spec to try it out on.

The .460 AR is nice too. The two make for a great combo. It should be more popular but that's probably due to cost of ammunition.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 528
Just saw this thread from Googling concerning the AR in .460 Rowland.

My own experience...

I bought a Kimber Custom II to carry while my ParaOrdnance P14/45 slide and frame were sent down to Robar to be refinished after a decade (plus) of daily carry. When the ParaOrdnance went back together, I ordered up a "conversion kit" from Clarks, and installed the compensated barrel into the Kimber. Was not a "drop in"... the barrel was too large in diameter - at the lugs on the barrel - to slide through the port in the front of the slide. Spent some time on a belt sander, slowly and gently reducing the diameter of the barrel until it would fit, then polished the area back up with a Dremel tool and Mother Mag Polish.

Now then... Clarks told me over the phone that they would do the work for free, but... after building my fair share of fire arms, saw no reason to send it back down to Louisiana.

I load my own ammo, and... it ain't THAT much more expensive to do the .460 than .45acp. I bought 1,000 virgin brass from Starline, 1,000 Nosler 185grn HPs, a jug of AA7... and dug out some CCI primers.

Shooting... not a discernable difference in recoil between .45acp and the .460 Rowland... that brake on the barrel WORKS! Although Wilson Combat builds a "Hunter" version of the .460 Rowland (for about $3500) without a brake, Clarks will NOT see you a barrel without the compensator. And the Clarks "kit"? Is under $300...

My eyes are old, and... the black-on-black sights of the Kimber do not work so well, for me. Even so... at 25 yds, all rounds stayed in the 10 ring. At 50 yds, I was busting trap clays, then pieces of trap clays, and then slivers of trap clays. Although I had heard from friends with .460 Rowlands concerning how accurate it is, I was not believing until I experienced it for myself. This Kimber/.460 Rowland may well be the most accurate side arm I have ever owned... going back fifty years... and that would include a long barreled M629 S&W, and the ParaOrdnance that groups in the black on a standard silhouette target at 200 yds.

Published data for the Starline/Nosler/AA7 recipe is 0.8" grouping at 25 yds... believe it!

Time to get my Kimber out on the 200 yd line, and verify just how damn accurate this thing is.

Last edited by Thanatos; 11-19-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
I imagine whent he novelty wears off, it will get old really fast. Stay in the safe for all of once or twice a year.
But hey, whatever floats your boat (although the 460 would sink your boat )
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk9noseknows View Post
I imagine whent he novelty wears off, it will get old really fast. Stay in the safe for all of once or twice a year.
But hey, whatever floats your boat (although the 460 would sink your boat )
You must be thinking of "that other guy..."...

Not to burst your bubble, but... I do not own/build firearms simply to store them. The "novelty" has yet to wear off of my .500 S&W, and that one is much more expensive to feed.

The Kimber/.460 Rowland shoots soft, hits hard, and is extremely accurate... not to mention that the ammo is only a few cents a round more expensive than .45acp (IF you reload your own). Were it not for the inch and a half of compensator on the front, it would likely be carried on a daily basis as a CCW sidearm... just as I carried S&W M29s and M629s for a decade.

And a 1911 conceals EVER so much better than the huge cylinder on a .44 Magnum...
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 40710
Your Rowland for CCW do have factory ammo? And how much for a box on the average? And the possibility on a Glock, XD, or another hicap 45acp pistol?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
.460 rowland accuracy
.460 rowland ar conversion
.460 rowland clarks drop in kit remingto r1
.460 rowland load data
.460 rowland rock island armory
357 magnum vs 460 rowland
460 rowland ammo
460 rowland ammo xd
460 rowland ccw
460 rowland concealed carry
460 rowland forum

460 rowland load data

460 rowland nosler 185 gr recipe
460 rowland reloading data
load data 460 rowland
wilson 460 rowland hunter
Click on a term to search for related topics.