• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

British 303 identification help

This is a discussion on British 303 identification help within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I hope someone here knows a little bit about these guns. A friend of mine has a pretty beat up old british .303 rifle that ...

Old 03-21-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33408
British 303 identification help

I hope someone here knows a little bit about these guns. A friend of mine has a pretty beat up old british .303 rifle that he wants to get rid of. I'd like to fix it up a bit and wat a cheap rifle, but I want to give him a fair price for it. I told him I'd look up what they were going for, but unfortunately I am having a hard time. As seems to be the case with me, it's never simple.

I have figured out that it's an enfield no.4 just from the way it looks, and it's got the ranged flip-up sight which seems to imply that it's an mk2. The problem is the markings on it. The only markings I can find are up on the barrel at the front it says:

303BUK
CAI STALB VT

Which as I understand is just import markings saying century arms international, st. albans vermont.

Near the front sight it says S76, which I haven't been able to find information on except that it seems like that is just a front sight marking.

The only serial number type number I can find is on the metal part of the receiver where the back part of the stock connects to the front part, right behind the trigger. On here it has a SIX digit number 370XXX in large digits. I haven't been able to find ANY mention of a six digit serial number (with no letters in it).

I do recall seeing a tiny stamped "B" on some part of the receiver, but it was very worn out, and very small, and all alone.

Does anyone have any idea where this gun came from? Or at least how much it might be worth? Prices on these things are all over the place.
BobTheMasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27193
Any factory stamping would be on the receiver of a No. 4 mk1 or mk2 Lee Enfield.

Here is a web site for you to research The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website
When I leave the home port........Springfield XD (9mm), Glock 19, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, CZ RAMI (9mm), SIG P6, S&W 642 Airweight, Kahr CW40, Star Firestar, Browning Hi Power, Dan Wesson Pointman 7, Colt Commander, CZ 82, Bulgarian Makarov, S&W Mod. 10, Ruger Police Service Six, Colt Detective Sp., Ruger SP101
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 3754
Location: The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a trailer with thunderstorms looming in the distance.
"beat up and old"

Got any pics?

Probably in the $100 to $150 range.
hobocircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28192
My uncle just gave me one that's in decen t shape. He got it for about 80 bucks 10-12 years ago. I'd check gunbroker and see if they have any for sale on there in comparible condition. As for markings take the stock off and look towards the front of the reciever, I found mine was made in '42 in australia. I found a site with alot of info on them, and they also had replacement parts and mags available. I dont rember what it was though. As long as it shoots well and the bore is nice, it should be a decent rifle. Remember though, they kick like a mule.
"I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America, and a country boys good enough for me." - Charlie Daniels
warchild69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
unless its a rare variant, 100-150 sounds right depending on quality. This isn't greatly in depth but will give you an idea of things Lee-Enfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yocan is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
303 british enfield rifle markings

303 british rifle identification

303 british rifle information
303 british serial number search
303 markings
armslist british enfield 303 for sale
armslist indiana lee enfield 303 for sale
british 303 rifle identification

british 303 rifle serial numbers

british 303 serial number lookup

british 303 serial numbers
british enfield 303 serial numbers
british enfield rifle armslist missouri
british enfield rifle identification
help identifying my british 303 rifle
remington 303 serial number 232732
Click on a term to search for related topics.