• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one.

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one. within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I recently purchased an M&P 9mm. I have been teaching my girlfriend to shoot, and she was learning on my Walther P22, my 1911, a ...

Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 32261
Thumbs down S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one.

I recently purchased an M&P 9mm. I have been teaching my girlfriend to shoot, and she was learning on my Walther P22, my 1911, a friends Glock, and my XDm. After showing a reasonable amount of proficiency, I decided to buy her very own gun for her. She is 4'10" and has pretty small mitts, and after trying out a variety of guns, she felt that the M&P fit her hands the best. I had done some research on the internet, and found pretty mixed reviews about the gun, which made me a bit hesitant, but Smith and Wesson seems to have pretty reliable customer service. Although I found it depressing, ( I wanted her to get an XD ) I caved and purchased the Smith and Wesson.

I took it home and taught my girlfriend how the gun functioned, and how to properly field strip it, and clean/lube it.
I took the gun to the range the next day. We were shooting 9mm military ball ammo. I've fired this ammo thru all kinds of pistols (Berettas, XD's, Glocks...you name it) without a problem. The first round thru the M&P resulted in a failure to extract. As did the second, third, and every other successive round. The expended brass stayed in the chamber, and the slide would push the next round into the ass end of the first round.
Needless to say, I was less than thrilled. This occured with both magazines. Also, 90% of the time, loading a magazine forcefully into the pistol with the slide locked back resulted in the slide coming forward and loading a round, without touching the slide release. This has never happened with my XDm, but I've experienced it with Beretta's, and once with a Glock. On one occasion, I also had the slide fail to lock back on an expended magazine.
After 8 magazines of being extremely frustrated and shooting a semi automatic one shot at a time, the failure to extract problem started clearing up. The last 2 magazines resulted in ONLY 2 malfunctions per 17 round magazine. Out of 170 rounds fired...I never got thru a magazine without a malfunction.

The next day I purchased 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass in an effort to determine if it was simply the ammunition that the pistol disliked. The pistol fired properly thru all 50 rounds, though I still experienced the problem with the slide coming forward when loading a magazine.

On the upside...I have to agree with my girlfriend when it comes to the ergonomics of the M&P. I have rather small hands as well, (I use the smallest backstrap on my XDm) and the feel of the pistol is spot on. The reach to the trigger and the handle is very comfortable, and pointing/aiming the weapon is very natural feeling. Much more so than the Glocks, and arguably, even more so than my XDm...which I hate to admit.
The trigger pull is somewhat quirky, and I've read that the pistol requires a "break in" for it to even out and become consistent. That sounded kinda retarded to me, but it turns out to be true.
The pistol is easy to shoot, and pretty accurate. I could keyhole rounds at 10 meters, and at fifteen meters I was shooting a 2 inch hole in a 3 inch dot without trying too hard.
So...basically the pistol was a blast to shoot...When it actually fired.

So, the bottom line is...I would never rely on this gun for self defense. But that's not what I bought this gun for. It's fun to shoot but certainly picky about ammo. I thought about sending the gun back to Smith and Wesson, but I think I'll experiment with different ammunition some more. If Smith and Wesson built this weapon to compete with Glock and XDs, then they have achieved failure of epic proportions because it doesn't compare in my opinion. Even without the failure to extract issue, the slide going into battery when loading a magazine is enough to piss me off. I didn't buy it with the expectation that it would outshoot my XD or a Glock, but I certainly didn't think it would be a POS right out of the box.

I dunno...I have pretty mixed emotions about the gun. I'll fire it some more, and then do a follow up.
If anyone else has had issues like this, then drop me a line.
Remington 870 -Ballistic Breaching/ Close quarters zombie weapon.
Springfield 1911, Winchester 30-.06, Walther P22
sillyrabbit0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25818
I'd send it off to S&W and see if they can make it right. I've heard enough good reviews about the M&P that it seems like you may have gotten a lemon. Too bad you couldn't convince her to get an XD

XDm 9mm, Springer Match Trigger, X-treme Grip,
Don's Stainless Guide Rod 16# spring

And more from Beretta, Benelli, CZ, Kimber, Rock River, Ruger, and Savage.
NDB_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18627
The M&P is an excellent gun. Sounds like your's may have some isses, which I'm sure S&W will take care of. To me, XD=M&P=Glock.
JhankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23515
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDB_MN View Post
I'd send it off to S&W and see if they can make it right. I've heard enough good reviews about the M&P that it seems like you may have gotten a lemon. Too bad you couldn't convince her to get an XD

+1. It sounds like there is a problem with the gun and you should give S&W a call to see if you should ship it back to them. I have shot a few different M&P's and never had a problem.

Hope it all works out.

Guns...what guns...
Chris 141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12715
Sorry you had a bad experience. Many have not had the same problems.

I can't recall ever having an XD drop the slide when loading a mag, but this is not uncommon in semi-auto pistols and I wouldn't call it a problem.

Please keep in mind that a sample size of 1 is not sufficient to make a statement such as "If Smith and Wesson built this weapon to compete with Glock and XDs, then they have achieved failure of epic proportions because it doesn't compare in my opinion." I realize it may look that way due to your experience, but any pistol ever made; Glock, XD, M&P, Sig, HK; can and has had similar stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Palmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22487
sounds like you got a lemon. my MP 45 eats all kinds of ammo with no problems. A firend of mine has the MP 9mm and it performs just as well as my 45. I love the Smith MP.
SA XD45acp, SA 1911 Operator, SA 1911 Loaded Champion, Glock 19, Glock 21, HK USP C (.40sw), S&W M&P 45, Beretta 92FS, Beretta M9, Ruger, Super Redhawk Alaskan .454, Taurus 605 .357mag, Ruger Mini 14, Mini 30, Ruger M77 MKII .308, GP-WASR 10, SA M1A Standard, SA M1A Scout Squad, SA M1A Socom 16, Bushmaster M4A3 PB, Remington 700 P .308, Remington 870 (3 of them), Mossberg 590A1
XfrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30507
Well I have not shot the 9mm. My Dad however owns a .40. It fired Winchester, and hollowpoints with no hitches. Now when you shot the Blazer, you said the slide was being released when you inserted the magazine? Where you forcefully inserting the mag? That can cause the slide to drop if so. Some weapons may be picky on certain ammo. Everyone makes a lemon from time to time, I would try a few more rounds of different ammo. Then if you are still having problems, send it back to S&W.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26164
Yeah I agree send it back to S&W and expect that it will take only about 2 weeks.
I have a M&P9C and it was an earlier model where the mags would release/fall out when I was shooting it. In addition the slide would lock back w/one rd in the mag.
Since I've had it fixed I've fired over 600 rds of all kinds of ammo and have not had one problem. Zippo! You have a good gun there. Contact S&W they will send you a shipping label and fix it w/no cost to you. It will be worth it!
XDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28866
+1 for sending that pistol to S&W to have it fixed, the one you have has obviously got issues.

I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with that pistol and have a sour taste for it now, although I certainly don't blame you. I personally have two M&P's and plan on buying more in the future. In all honesty I trust my M&P 9 more than any other pistol I've got, including my xd. If that doesn't show that the M&P can compare to xd/glock, I don't know what to tell you.
rystineusmc0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11929
I'd highly recommend the M&P.

Sounds like you're firing some oddball ammo, it isn't firing right, then it fires right with factory ammo. Not the gun's fault.

How are you holding the gun when you slam the mag in? Watch where your thumb is.
FATSEXY is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

9mm, failure to extract, m&p, smith and wesson

Search tags for this page
m and p 9mm review
m&p 9 review

m&p 9mm

m&p 9mm review

m&p9mm
s & w m & p
s and w m and p
s w m p 9mm review

s&w m&p 9mm

s&w m&p 9mm magazine

s&w m&p 9mm review

smith and wesson 9mm reviews
smith and wesson m&p 9mm
smith and wesson m&p 9mm magazine

smith and wesson m&p 9mm review

Click on a term to search for related topics.