• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one.

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one. within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I think you got a lemon... I have heard great reviews of them. Just bought one for my brother but he still hasnt shot it. ...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #21
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26471
I think you got a lemon... I have heard great reviews of them. Just bought one for my brother but he still hasnt shot it. I am interested now for sure.
chad4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33689
yeah i just bet that u got a lemon because i shoot idpa with a pro from sandw and he shoots the m and p 9 and kicks ass but id imagine that s and w will take care of it if it wasnt for my xd i would own a m and p
redmax_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #23
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21739
The girlfriends works great. We only have about 150 through it (my fault, I need to take her more). If you slap that mag in good and hard it will auto-ride. My Glock will reliably auto-ride if I reliably smack the **** out of it =).

I would call them up and tell them you want to talk to Mr. Smith or Mr. Wesson personally.
Fish609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17757
From what I have been able to glean from my reading on the web. There are some brands/models that were originaly designed for law enforcement that automaticaly drop the slide when the mag is installed to get the gun ready ASAP. For cops every second truely counts and having the slide close when you slam that next mag in saves a small bit of time that might save their life.

Freedom1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26164
Actually there are two verisons. One that will fire the gun w/a rd loaded in the chamber if the mag is released and one that will not fire if the mag is released.
The latter is especially good for LEOs as they can wind up in a tussle w/BGs and sometimes they do get their weapons.
XDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 32261
Thumbs up Update...

I took the gun to the range after work today. I fired another 10 magazines thru it, using NATO ball ammo. The first three magazines resulted in 1 failure to extract per magazine. After that, I had no more problems with the gun, other than dropping the slide occasionally when forcefully inserting a magazine...which I can live with.
So...what does that mean? I guess it had to develop a taste for the ammo I was running thru it? I've never really heard of a break-in period for a gun, but it seems that a gun would run more efficiently once the surfaces wear together. I dunno.
I can say that once it started firing properly every time, it was a blast to shoot. It has noticeably less recoil than my XDm using the same ammo, and you'll go thru magazines in a hurry having fun shooting controlled pairs.
I wasn't sure about it at first, but I like the gun.
Thanks for all your replies/ideas.

Keep shootin-
Remington 870 -Ballistic Breaching/ Close quarters zombie weapon.
Springfield 1911, Winchester 30-.06, Walther P22
sillyrabbit0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #27
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24169
If I had to replace my G19, the M&P 9 would be the one. Zero issues with it and very reliable.
Maddcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29754
I was also originally looking into the M&P 9mm for the wife. I did a LOT of research about this pistol. I also found mixed reviews. One of the best places I found for info was the MP Pistol forum. They even have a sub-forum for malfunctions/defects

I found a post that posted a similar problem to yours - failures to extract and cases sticking. What they ended up finding was that the M&Ps chamber had some slight burrs in it that would grab the shell once it expanded and lock it into the chamber - making extraction very difficult. Apparently once the chamber was polished/deburred the problem went away. This was just one of many quality control complaints about the M&P.

I would definitely send the pistol back, as the unreliability is unacceptable, let alone the many things that frustrate you about it.

For my wife, I think we are going the revolver route

However, good job considering the needs of your wife! Keep looking and if you decide to sell the M&P I'm sure you'll find something else even better for her.
AdventureMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 755
Looks like a lemon, send it back for service.

كافر --

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin
sterling18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23933
I've got about 700 rounds through mine that I bought last September. The 700th round was just as smooth as the first one. Something obviously is very abnormal with your gun. The M&P has been built up to status to the point where ONE FTF/FTE is unacceptable. Then again, I am more leaning towards the ammo aspect of it. The XD I used to have would have about 2 FTF's with every 100 round box of WWB. Every other ammo was fine however. I don't think the M&P would be getting the sales it is getting now if they were unreliable. I bet if you called S&W they would tell you to send it in immediately. Just my .02.
FleeToTheCleve is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

9mm, failure to extract, m&p, smith and wesson

Search tags for this page
m and p 9
m and p 9mm review

m&p 9mm

m&p 9mm review

s & w m & p 9mm reviews
s and w m and p 9mm
s&w m&p 9 review

s&w m&p 9mm review

smith and wesson 9mm reviews
smith and wesson m&p 9 review

smith and wesson m&p 9mm review

smith and wesson m&p 9mm reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.