• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one.

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 9mm...don't buy one. within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by U.S. Patriot Well I have not shot the 9mm. My Dad however owns a .40. It fired Winchester, and hollowpoints with no ...

Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 32261
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Patriot View Post
Well I have not shot the 9mm. My Dad however owns a .40. It fired Winchester, and hollowpoints with no hitches. Now when you shot the Blazer, you said the slide was being released when you inserted the magazine? Where you forcefully inserting the mag? That can cause the slide to drop if so. Some weapons may be picky on certain ammo. Everyone makes a lemon from time to time, I would try a few more rounds of different ammo. Then if you are still having problems, send it back to S&W.
The slide goes into battery when inserting a magazine forcefully regardless of the type of ammunition. I realize that this isn't a terrible problem, but it's one I personally find undesireable. This has never happened with my XDm or my Springfield 1911, but I've had it happen with other pistols.
Remington 870 -Ballistic Breaching/ Close quarters zombie weapon.
Springfield 1911, Winchester 30-.06, Walther P22
sillyrabbit0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystineusmc0311 View Post
+1 for sending that pistol to S&W to have it fixed, the one you have has obviously got issues.

I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with that pistol and have a sour taste for it now, although I certainly don't blame you. I personally have two M&P's and plan on buying more in the future. In all honesty I trust my M&P 9 more than any other pistol I've got, including my xd. If that doesn't show that the M&P can compare to xd/glock, I don't know what to tell you.
You're right...I've got a bad experience w/ one pistol. I mentioned I loved the way it shot when it did fire correctly. It's just a drag when I spent 500 dollars after finally getting my girlfriend to be excited about shooting, and the gun didn't fire properly for her. It makes me feel better that many other people are happy with their M&Ps. I'm certain S&W will correct the problem if I continue to experience it.
Thanks to all for your replies....
Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
Take apart the bolt or whatever and clean the extractor, there is probably just way too much grease under it to allow it free motion. The slide release yeah that would irritate me as well. I have one magazine for my ruger 94 that won't hold the slide open, so its the last mag in the gun when I carry it, so it doesn't really matter. If nothing else the person I'm shooting at won't know I'm out of ammo.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5873
I have trouble blaming the extractor if it ran other ammo with out a hitch

as for the slide not locking back I have this problem with both my xd and M&P 9c but its me riding the slide stop

slide dropping on insertion of mag may want to have that looked at
not uncommon to hear of but never happed to me

I do agree strip it down give it a complete cleaning & proper lube

run a few different brands of ammo including the military ball(what ever brand that is bulk, reloads?) see if there is a pattern then call smith and talk to them

40-45

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
.40-.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4592
I have read that you need to polish the chamber (or have it polished by S&W) because they melonite the barrel and supposedly get a little overspray in the chamber on occasion. Try it out.
Wilkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
Or the extractor claw might not be deep enough of a cut so that thicker brass won't extrat, or will slip on really rounded brass.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29346
Small MITTS! hahahaha. i have to admit, i read that wrong the 1st time

200th post! rock!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
XDanthony

Member #:
SAAMI | Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations

CENTERFIRE PISTOL & REVOLVER

In Firearms Chambered For
Do Not Use These Cartridges

9mm Luger (Parabellum)
9mm NATO (Military)
Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanthony View Post
SAAMI | Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations

CENTERFIRE PISTOL & REVOLVER

In Firearms Chambered For
Do Not Use These Cartridges

9mm Luger (Parabellum)
9mm NATO (Military)

Hmmm...I'll be damned. I guess the name "Military and Police" wasnt' meant to be taken literally then. I've also found thru research on the internet that various law enforcement agencies use the M&P and fire +P+ ammo thru it. M882 ball ammo is still 9x19mm, it's just loaded hotter than other factory ammo...but not as hot as +P+...Also I'm sure there are guys out there who load their own ammo hotter than factory loads. The Glocks chambered for 9x19 ammo have been found to malfunction with +P+ ammo, yet function without fail when firing NATO ammo. I've put thousands of these rounds thru my XDm w/out failure or abnormal wear.
Also, +P+ ammo still isn't loaded as hot as the proof ammo the manufacturers use when testing the gun. I'm taking this information I've gathered with a grain of salt, as with any info I get off the internet. So don't bust my balls if you find any of it is too off base.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning toward the 'Extractor gunked up with grease' explanation. The gun did have a healthy coat of grease on it when I brought it home. I field stripped it as per the manual, and cleaned/lubed it with CLP before firing it. However, it would be difficult to remove any grease inside/under the extractor. I didn't remove the extractor because 1) It's pinned in 2) I'm not a gunsmith 3) I didn't expect the ass pain with the gun in the first place.
This theory could hold water because the gun did start firing more normally toward the end of the first day, and today it fired w/out a problem. Tomorrow I'm gonna run a few more rounds thru it after work. Both "factory" and NATO ball, and see what happens. I didn't mean to bash the M&P as hard as I did. I was upset, and wanted to see if any other owners have had similar problems. There are alot of things I like about it...but the initial day of firing it left me wanting to drop kick it over the berm at the end of the range. Whatever happens, I'll get it sorted out. If nothing else it'll make a killer looking door stop or paper weight.
-Happy shootin....
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21738
I'll take it off your hands for 2 bills!
bashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

9mm, failure to extract, m&p, smith and wesson

Search tags for this page
hk 9mm
m and p 9mm review

m&p 9mm

m&p 9mm review

m&p 9mm reviews
s & w m & p
s & w m & p 9mm
s & w m & p 9mm reviews
s and w m and p 9mm
s&w m&p 9 review

s&w m&p 9mm

s&w m&p 9mm review

smith and wesson 9mm reviews
smith and wesson m&p 9 review

smith and wesson m&p 9mm review

smith and wesson m&p 9mm reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.