• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AK or AR for SBR Build?

This is a discussion on AK or AR for SBR Build? within the NFA Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I am looking at building an SBR, but I'm conflicted. I cannot decide if I want to just go the AR route (it's easy to ...

Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 78492
AK or AR for SBR Build?

I am looking at building an SBR, but I'm conflicted. I cannot decide if I want to just go the AR route (it's easy to buy the upper and slap it on a lower) or if I want to run an AK. I love AK's but, as of recently, I am very interested in AR's as well, especially with the .300 AAC Blackout or the .50 Beowolf or .458 SOCOM, or any of the many other calibers.

If I go the AK route, it will be a 7.62x39 with a 10" barrel, unless I can find one shorter, and have a wire folding stock that I am thinking I may design and build myself. Additionally, I am probably going to suppress the rifle after I get the SBR stamp on it, whether it's AK or AR. And yes, I know that the AR offers calibers that are better for suppression.

Now, if I go the other way and get an AR SBR, I will be running a 5-10" upper on a spikes lower. I am unsure of what caliber to go with, but I am really leaning .300 AAC because I can suppress it and make it really quiet compared to 5.56 or 7.62x39. But I'm still not sure if I want to go this route.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
ZLujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 57225
AR, you can own multiple uppers and use the same lower. I'm currently waiting on my Form 4. It will be mostly 9mm 5 inch with a can, but I also have a .22 pistol. If I want to swap it, I can. I'm also considering an 8 inch 300 Blackout for a little more punch.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
SBR AK's are more rare, and harder to do, and thus worth more resale in the long run because of it.

AR's are a lot more versatile and a plethora of calibers by simply changing uppers and mags as GAGTO has already stated.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

I'm thinking AR will be the way to go. I am more familiar with AK's so that's why I was considering the shorty AK. What caliber would be the best for a short AR? I still want it useful out to 200 yards or so, but also good in close. When being used past 100 yards I doubt that I will be wanting or needing suppression. So for the initial build, would it be best to go short 5.56? 6.5 Grendel? 6.8SPC? There are TOO many options with AR's lol.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Also, might it be worth it to do an AK and an AR build?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLujan View Post
I'm thinking AR will be the way to go. I am more familiar with AK's so that's why I was considering the shorty AK. What caliber would be the best for a short AR? I still want it useful out to 200 yards or so, but also good in close. When being used past 100 yards I doubt that I will be wanting or needing suppression. So for the initial build, would it be best to go short 5.56? 6.5 Grendel? 6.8SPC? There are TOO many options with AR's lol.
If you dont' have an AR, I'd start with a 5.56 upper so you can have fairly inexpensive ammo and enough ooomph for 200 yards even out of the shorter barrel.

I'd probably skip the 6.5 grendel and 6.8 spc for short barrel use and consider an 5 to 8 inch barrelled 9mm upper with a suppressor for close in work when you're wanting to be quiet. It's really hard to beat a 9mm suppressed carbine using 147 gr bullets. They sound like a paintball gun in person.

Others would recommend the 300 blackout for short and suppressed and is not entirely out of the question for 200 yards but ammo availability is still not even close to how much 9mm is usually out there at any given time.

You could also of course buy a 22LR short upper for even more inexpensive weekend plinking and use a take apart 9mm silencer on it so you can clean it afterwards.

Or you could buy 1 of every caliber upper and use them all on your registered lower.

Just remember, the lower would be the SBR whether you were using a 24 inch barreled upper, or a 4 inch barreled upper, so all SBR transportation and handling laws still apply to it no matter which upper you had on it.

I guess the point I am trying to make is even if you SBR'd a lower, you can have any other caliber or barrel length attached, but even if it was wearing a regular length upper, it's still classified as an SBR in the eyes of the law.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13169
Do an AR first...then get an AK.
Mike Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 76611
Get both!

But an AR first because you can do anything with it.

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
CheaperThanDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63850
Suppress it? Pssshhhh! Get the smallest barrel, and highest pressure round you can find, then stick the nastiest most un-necessarily obnoxiusly loud muzzle break you can find, then shoot that sucker at an indoor range or a covered outdoor range and when people ask "what the **** are you shooting?" you can tell them "dynamite rounds" or "chuck norris select"

XD-45 5"
DPMS Panther Carbine A2
Arisaka Type 99
91/30 Mosin Nagant Sniper
Rob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

John, the every caliber thing is why I was thinking an AR would be best, despite how much I love AK's lol. I could do the 9mm upper just because I shoot lots of 9mm as it is and having a suppressor in 9mm would be a lot of fun with more than just one gun. I completely forgot about 9mm uppers. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of full powered rifle calibers to start. Do you know what a 9mm could reach out to effectively out of say an 8" or maybe a 9" barrel?

Rob, funny, but probably not something that I would appreciate beings I shoot on my own property and in the mountains at a friends place.

As for it being an SBR no matter what, that's fine by me. I'll probably take full advantage and run only short uppers on it. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Any thoughts on caliber for the AK build?

Oh, and do you need a full twist in the rifling for accuracy or anything? Is there anything I will need to really watch for with either build?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » NFA Talk

ak-47, ar-15, sbr, short barreled rifle, tax stamp

Search tags for this page
7.62x39 effectiveness in a short barrel
ak 47 sbr

ak sbr

ak sbr build
ak sbr suppressed
ak sbr vs ar sbr

ak vs ar sbr

ak47 sbr

ar vs ak sbr
best sbr caliber

sbr ak

sbr ak 47

sbr ak or ar

sbr ak vs ar

sbr ak47

Click on a term to search for related topics.