• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

class 3 tax stamp

This is a discussion on class 3 tax stamp within the NFA Talk forums, part of the Armory Talk category; my friend was saying he wanted to get a class 3 tax stamp here in South Carolina , I asked what it was and he ...

Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 66637
class 3 tax stamp

my friend was saying he wanted to get a class 3 tax stamp here in South Carolina , I asked what it was and he said its a one time fee so he can get a silencer , what are the costs , and pros and cons of getting one ???
fktahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29549
one time per item. 2 suppressors (they dont silence, they suppress) would equal 2 tax stamps. The fee is $200 per stamp. They take anywhere from 1-12 months to process. You pay the fee and the cost of the supressor up front, since the serial # on the suppressor is what you're registering. Then you wait for the approval before you take posession. Suppressors can cost anywhere from $300-2000 depending on caliber, construction, and brand. pros... well... it makes it quiet. also reduces recoil. it's nice shooting without hearing protection on guns it makes quiet enough. And it's just plain cool cons... they cost money. And it's a disease. If you get one, you'll get another.
-Thomas
Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

where would i go in south carolina to purchase my stamp ? ive tried google it for hours ? Thank u so much for ur help !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasA View Post
one time per item. 2 suppressors (they dont silence, they suppress) would equal 2 tax stamps. The fee is $200 per stamp. They take anywhere from 1-12 months to process. You pay the fee and the cost of the supressor up front, since the serial # on the suppressor is what you're registering. Then you wait for the approval before you take posession. Suppressors can cost anywhere from $300-2000 depending on caliber, construction, and brand. pros... well... it makes it quiet. also reduces recoil. it's nice shooting without hearing protection on guns it makes quiet enough. And it's just plain cool cons... they cost money. And it's a disease. If you get one, you'll get another.
-Thomas
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29549
your google fu is weak my son.

Try googling for "Class III North Carolina" Or "NFA Weapons North Carolina"

I'm sure you can find a list of class iii dealers that would be able to sell you what you're wanting, and help you fill out and send in the paper work for a tax stamp or NFA trust (they are different)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 67799
Find a class 3 dealer in your state, make the purchase and dealer will fill out paperwork, instruct what you need to get done - fingerprint cards, photos, and chief law enforcement officer signature where you live. Return all paperwork to dealer along with check for $200 and off to ATF / NFA it goes. Be prepared for a 6 month wait until paperwork returns to dealer with your tax stamp and he will call for you to pick up your new toy!
ken158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasA View Post
your google fu is weak my son.

Try googling for "Class III North Carolina" Or "NFA Weapons North Carolina"

I'm sure you can find a list of class iii dealers that would be able to sell you what you're wanting, and help you fill out and send in the paper work for a tax stamp or NFA trust (they are different)
Why would somebody in South Carolina spend Google time finding information about North Carolina?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercmar View Post
Why would somebody in South Carolina spend Google time finding information about North Carolina?
haha yea lol well i called the nfa and they gave me lots of info but thank you guys so much ! this website is such big help
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Quote:
Originally Posted by fktahoe View Post
haha yea lol well i called the nfa and they gave me lots of info but thank you guys so much ! this website is such big help

What?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
Silencers are actually NOT class 3 weapons even though a lot of people mistakenly call them that.

They're legally and technically classified as Title II weapons.

Class 3 only refers to a gun dealer that has a special tax licensing to deal in machineguns and silencers and such. And is probably where most people get confused on the terminology.

Nevertheless, Title II weapons are the legal classification of NFA weapons.

Title II weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So that is probably why google wasn't pulling up as much because you were using the wrong search criteria.

If you build a silencer, you will do it by submitting a form 1 in advance and wait for approval before building it. If he buys one, he will have to submit a form 4 instead.

When the paperwork is approved at the NFA branch in WV, they will affix a $200 tax stamp to one of the duplicate copies that they will return to him to keep in his records or to the dealer he is buying the silencer from that will give it to him when he picks up the silencer.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.

PS Slugger, the phone number for the NFA Branch HQ in WV is 304-616-4500
Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
Silencers are actually NOT class 3 weapons even though a lot of people mistakenly call them that.

They're legally and technically classified as Title II weapons.

Class 3 only refers to a gun dealer that has a special tax licensing to deal in machineguns and silencers and such. And is probably where most people get confused on the terminology.

Nevertheless, Title II weapons are the legal classification of NFA weapons.

Title II weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So that is probably why google wasn't pulling up as much because you were using the wrong search criteria.

If you build a silencer, you will do it by submitting a form 1 in advance and wait for approval before building it. If he buys one, he will have to submit a form 4 instead.

When the paperwork is approved at the NFA branch in WV, they will affix a $200 tax stamp to one of the duplicate copies that they will return to him to keep in his records or to the dealer he is buying the silencer from that will give it to him when he picks up the silencer.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.

PS Slugger, the phone number for the NFA Branch HQ in WV is 304-616-4500

so all in all u spend about a grand for a silencer ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » NFA Talk

Search tags for this page
average wait for suppressor tax stamp

class 3 tax stamp

cost of a class 3 firearms stamp
federal stamp for suppressor cost
how do you get stamp for gun suppressor in s.c.
how long does it take for class 3 tax stamp
how long does it take to get a class 3 tax stamp
how long does it take to get a class iii tax stamp approved
how long for suppressor return
how to get a class 3 stamp in south carolina
shooting your suppressor before you have your stamp
south carolina tax stamp for shotgun

tax stamp for suppressor

tax stamp silencer south carolina
why is tax stamp taking so long
Click on a term to search for related topics.