• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New 2 guns and excited!

This is a discussion on New 2 guns and excited! within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; Hello all! Im from Houston, tx and I'm new to guns, as weird as that may be seeing how I'm from Texas. My Bday was ...

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80151
Talking New 2 guns and excited!

Hello all! Im from Houston, tx and I'm new to guns, as weird as that may be seeing how I'm from Texas.
My Bday was in September and I bought myself an XD-9 after looking around and comparing. I've been thrilled with the concept of guns and going to shooting ranges but, unlike the majority of texans, I was not raised in a home with guns. Now I'm a 27 year old virgin-like to guns who has only been to the range a couple of times with my friends and their guns. I have only been to the range with my own xd-9 once and that was earlier this week. I'm excited to learn about everything I need to know on here from which are the best target rounds to put through my gun to what certain laws are as far as carrying in my own home or on my dad's property.
Glad to be a part of what seems to be a huge group of well informed people in order to get up to speed!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77836
Welcome! Best thing you can do - shoot a lot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

No such thing as perfect practice, just people who give a damn about what they're doing.

Quote:
Don't mess with the Desk®
XD9SC - 3000
Mossberg 500 18.5" HD / 28" VR-P Field Combo - 150
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Id advise you to take a basic handgun class. They can help teach you the fundamentals of shooting and good habit forming. Usually any good fmj round would be good for practice.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoopermikeXDM View Post
Id advise you to take a basic handgun class. They can help teach you the fundamentals of shooting and good habit forming. Usually any good fmj round would be good for practice.
Cool, I was actually planning on doing that I just need to find one that isn't too pricey, although I wouldn't even know what pricey would be right now lol.
Now as far as the fmj goes....I've heard of this before several times by many people. What is the difference as far is it not being a full metal jacket? What would be the disadvantage of say brass or any other kind they make?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzman View Post
Cool, I was actually planning on doing that I just need to find one that isn't too pricey, although I wouldn't even know what pricey would be right now lol.
Now as far as the fmj goes....I've heard of this before several times by many people. What is the difference as far is it not being a full metal jacket? What would be the disadvantage of say brass or any other kind they make?
When you her ppl say fmj, they are referring to the bullet/projectile itself. The cartridge casing on the other hand, if its brass it generally can be reloaded, same with nickel plated casings. Aluminium (although ive heard of a few doing it) generally can not be reloaded.
You mentioned 2 new guns. Dont hold out on us! What is the other gun???

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoopermikeXDM View Post
When you her ppl say fmj, they are referring to the bullet/projectile itself. The cartridge casing on the other hand, if its brass it generally can be reloaded, same with nickel plated casings. Aluminium (although ive heard of a few doing it) generally can not be reloaded.
You mentioned 2 new guns. Dont hold out on us! What is the other gun???
Ohhh.....well there you go, I've already learned something new! this whole time I was thinking that fmj referred to the cartridge lol glad I was told on here before I said something stupid like that in front of someone face to face! cuz that's embarrassing, online....not so much haha
And the funny thing is that when I wrote my title I was thinking, "i hope this doesn't confuse ppl", but i regret to inform you that i only own one gun Just for now though. I'm so thrilled about my gun that i'm already researching what might be my next purchase. My title actually means "I am new to(2) guns". sorry for the confusing title
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 69456
welcome neighbor, I must say that you made an excellent choice for your first firearm. there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. enjoy and be safe out here!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzman View Post
Ohhh.....well there you go, I've already learned something new! this whole time I was thinking that fmj referred to the cartridge lol glad I was told on here before I said something stupid like that in front of someone face to face! cuz that's embarrassing, online....not so much haha
And the funny thing is that when I wrote my title I was thinking, "i hope this doesn't confuse ppl", but i regret to inform you that i only own one gun Just for now though. I'm so thrilled about my gun that i'm already researching what might be my next purchase. My title actually means "I am new to(2) guns". sorry for the confusing title
10-4. well, give it time you will acquire more, in time. Also, you will learn jhp in a hurry as well (jacketed hollow point).
If you have questions just ask. were (mostly) a friendly group.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Sure seems so, so far! Thanks for the welcomes and the and responses guys!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Welcome from Ohio.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

Search tags for this page

rifle guns n:45781

Click on a term to search for related topics.