• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New From Illinois and Looking For Advice

This is a discussion on New From Illinois and Looking For Advice within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; Long story as short as I can make it. I've been around guns for a long time, but mostly just shotguns and rifles. Very little ...

Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 74511
Cool New From Illinois and Looking For Advice

Long story as short as I can make it. I've been around guns for a long time, but mostly just shotguns and rifles. Very little experience with hand guns. Went to the range with one of my buddies who has quite a few guns, one of which was an XDm 4.5, and applied for my FIOD card. Been shopping around for guns since then and am now pretty sure I want either an XDm 4.5 or the newer 5.25 in 9mm (may also peak at a Glock 17 due to the amount of aftermarket support). It will be used mostly for range and home protection. Not too worried about carrying at this point for obvious reasons, and if Illinois does ever decide to pass anything I will likely be able to afford something new by that time. I want the 9mm for the cheaper ammo, but am open for opinions. I have about a grand to spend overall, and would possibly like to get a tactical light/laser along with it. I am going to be heading the to local gun store to browse tomorrow so I will also have a better idea about fit and feel by then. I have been reading a lot on this site and have learned a bunch and read a lot of opinions on this vs. that etc., but figured I would throw this out there. Thanks for any opinions or options.

cheers,

Patrick
POWERPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 74160
Im not sure on the xdm series but I have a xd9 service, they are definitely a great line without a doubt. If I were you I would check with your local range/gunshop and get a better idea.

Anyhow, Welcome aboard
GoldToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 63819
Welcome from IL!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Credere, sed verificare
Helpdesk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67661
Welcome from Ohio!!

Springfield XD(m) 3.8 Compact, 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P Compact, 9mm
(More to Come...)

||-μολὼν λαβέ-||
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53446
welcome, you can't go wrong with the xdm.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48402
Welcome from il. I was like you grew up in a family where all we bad were mostly hu ting guns. And bein in IL that meant a great majority of them were shotguns. I ventured out and got an xdm 4.5 in 9mm and I've loved it ever since. Been through quite a few guns in the past few years and have seemed to hang on to the xdm out of all of them, somewhat Bc my gf said shed shoot me if I sold her baby haha. I'd say go for it the xdm's have a pretty good sorce of aftermarket support now, just check a few of the sight sponsors and you'll likely find what you need. As far as light and laser I had a viridean for a while and it didn't stick around to long. Now I just have a flashlight next to the bed.
dw32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67471
Welcome from Ohio!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73297
welcome from PA

I do not own an xd-m at the moment. But I have an xd sub compact (3" barrel" and tactical (5.25" barrel) both in 9mm. I absolutely enjoy and entrust in both of these hand guns. Im not sure of the IL laws concerning mag capacity but you can get high cap mags here in PA. The out of the box accuracy of the sub compact was decent for the size of the barrel. The accuracy and control of the tacticle out of the box was absolutely impressive through out the distances and paces I put it through. I noticed that you stated above that you do not plan to ccw/carry. The tacticle is not easy to conceal in warm weather, but if you so choose to carry at some point it can be done with propper clothing and attire. I would not sugest a light/laser for home defense weapons due to the visibily you create for the intruder you are deffending yourself from. How ever if you so choose to purchase one, surefire makes a nice set up for the many handguns w rail. If your interested in more information please feel free to browse the forums. There are very many helpful topics, discussions, and members here at XD Forums. And once again welcome to the forums
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Hello & welcome!
I own five XDm's & love them all. Never had a single problem out of any of them. I have three 3.8" compacts & two 5.25". The 9mm 5.25" is a great choice for range & HD IMO, very accurate & reliable pistol. I thinked you'd be very pleased w/this choice.
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 15395
Welcome aboard from Texas.

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ!
SpringerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

glock, illinois, new member, opinions, xdm