• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New From Illinois and Looking For Advice

This is a discussion on New From Illinois and Looking For Advice within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; Howdy...

Old 06-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
XDTalk 50K Member

Member #: 29563
Howdy
Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 41821
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
My first gun was also an XDm 9mm. It just fit my hand better than the other pistols I tried out. I don't even remember what pistols I looked at before getting it. I looked and picked up just about everything in my price range, that was a 9mm. For the same reason you gave. I could shoot 200 rounds of it for the price of 150 or less of anything else. Being new to guns I wanted to practice.
Just don't rush your decision. Once you spend the money it's harder to justify going to the gun store and looking at more. Still fun, just not as exciting knowing you can't get one for awhile.

vaderdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
bub
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 60678
Welcome from PA.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 13090
I personally own and carry a 9MM 5" Tactical. But that's what fits best for ME. Find out and feel whats best in your hand with the caliber that works well for the purpose of your intentions for the weapon and go with that. That's a good starting point.

Oh! And welcome from Tombstone ~ Arizona

[ I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my wife "That's us in 10 years". She said...That's a mirror stupid ! ]
Sealteam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 74511
Thanks for all the replies,

After going out and handling all kinds of guns it seems like the XDm is going to be my best option. Everything about it just seems like a better all around first gun that will be fun at the range and add a feeling of security at home. I feel that it has a good balance of safety, reliability, fun factor and fit n' finish i'm looking for. The guy who was helping me out was very "enthusiastic" to say the least, I must have held about 25 guns, all sorts of types, brands, calibers, used and not. I learned a ton about all of them and could have seen myself owning a lot of them (dangerous), but none of them gave me the feeling that holding the XDm 5.25 gave me. They only had a .45 version, but was mostly just testing fit and feel anyways. I was afraid that it was going to be too big, but after holding the 4.5 first it didn't really feel that gigantic. It will all come down to how much money I feel like parting with the day I go out to buy, and also availability of the bi-tone I would like to see whether I pull the trigger on the 5.25 or 4.5. Thanks again for all of the responses, all of the good praise and over all love for the XD and XDm have really given me a lot of confidence in my decision.

Cheers,

Patrick
POWERPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72301
I have an XD9 service with a stream light TLR1 on it. Great combo. You should look into having a light on the weapon. Some may claim it draws attention, but I can promise you it makes hitting something easier. I've had several members of law enforcement tell me it was the best call they ever made.
Jim_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 53601
Welcome from Arizona.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
XDTalk Member

Member #: 74511
proud new owner

I went to the LGS last Wednesday just about positive that I wanted the XDm 5.25, and luckily enough they had both the all black and the bi-tone in 9mm. Held both, loved both. Held a couple of Glocks, wasnít very impressed and seemed almost too rough and mechanical. Also tried quite a few others, some of which I really liked but not the style I wanted for my first one. As Iím walking back over to the Springfield case, thinking Iíve made my decision, I spotted an XDm 4.5 9mm with the OD green frame. It was calling my name, and after holding it and much deliberation I couldn't think of any logical reasons to spend the extra 200+ on the 5.25 seeing as it would be my first gun. It started to seem a little too pricey and advanced considering what I was going to use it for at that point. So after I found out it was the last OD in stock I had to have it. The 72 hour waiting period never felt so long, but I finally picked it up on Sunday, put 150 rounds through it and couldn't be happier. Even had a couple people at the range give me compliments on it.
POWERPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73296
welcome
Mosin Nagant
H&R Pardner Protector
Winchester 1100
dethzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Old Timer

Member #: 60337
Welcome from OK.
OKcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

glock, illinois, new member, opinions, xdm