• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Hello from a new XD40 owner.

This is a discussion on Hello from a new XD40 owner. within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; Wanted to introduce myself and become a bit more active on the board. I have been lurking around the site since I picked up my ...

Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63550
Hello from a new XD40 owner.

Wanted to introduce myself and become a bit more active on the board. I have been lurking around the site since I picked up my XD40 - Service model in Montana, back in August. Sadly I had to head to NYC immediately after so never got to use the gun. However l finally got my hands on it and started shooting with it 3 days ago. Revenge over missed time can be awesome and I have been to the range every day and have put through over 600 rounds and have had only one problem - due to user error.

My initial impressions are this is a superb gun and super accurate at 35 feet. I have no problems keeping a group of about 1.5" without too much effort using a variety of inexpensive loads. (I tried a couple of rounds at 25 yards but I uh, need practice! Now that I know how hard it is, I am now very impressed by folks that can shoot sub 2" groupings at that distance. Crazy.) I am finally starting getting a good feel and rhythm of this gun and am supremely happy that the salesman steered me towards this XD without having shot a single round.

I haven't had much experience with handguns prior to this XD. But I did shoot extensively in Jr/Sr High school on the rifle team. Back then I owned an Anshutz Ultra Match 22 which was a superb bolt action match grade rifle. I still had some muscle memory left from that trigger from oh so many years ago and I admit I was a bit trigger finger confused by the amount of over-travel the XD has. But I am very happy with the balance and weight of the gun and once I got accustomed to the trigger, have been shooting much more consistently. I rented a XDM at the gun range yesterday and was really happy with the trigger setup on that. Otherwise, while really nice to have, the adjustable sights, etc really didn't add anything to my accuracy. It really is a testament to the quality of the XD. I will definitely be looking to change out the trigger and the front sights (Tritium or Optical) at some point in the near future.

I was shooting next to guys/gals using all sorts of other brands and at their 25 feet vs my 35, most weren't coming close to the groupings the XD could manage. I think I am a decent shot but not amazing so I know it is the gun that is enhancing my skills. I am not proud and happy to admit when the gear is working for me.

Thanks to this forum, I was able to catch the GEAR-UP promo before it expired and have a total of 9 magazines. I read about the Maglula and can't imagine reloading without it. The springs on the XD mags are pretty feisty.

With my 3 days of shooting jubilation behind me, sadly I am going to have to part with my XD for several months again as I am heading to LA next (Yep, one handgun unfriendly state to another). I am looking for advice from any CA people on shooting and license acquisition because I will be there for at least a year... probably longer.

Anyway I am stoked to own a XD!
CA people, I look forward to your advice.

Thanks and warm regards!
MTguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! Great intro, welcome aboard.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63550
TX, Thank you! I have enjoyed reading a bunch of your posts already!
MTguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 66196
Welcome!
CGM40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67661
Welcome from Ohio!!
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Welcome from Ohio.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 47176
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.
SA Trophy Match 1911
LJenkmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
bub
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 60678
Welcome from PA.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 66951
Welcome from Texas. It's still possible to own in CA, just not as easy. I've read several threads on here from CA guys that share their experiences. Best of luck!
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6127
hello there
XD compact 4in, 45 acp black,
XD bi tone service 9
COUPLE SHOTGUNS
COWBOY GUNS

BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF TOO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

service model, springfield armory, xd40

Search tags for this page
houston xd-40 club

ruger new owner special offer

ruger sp101

sp101 vs xd40
www.ruger.com/newowner special offer
Click on a term to search for related topics.