• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New to guns and to site.

This is a discussion on New to guns and to site. within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; I am new to the site and still do not own a gun. I have been to 3 different gun stores in the last two ...

Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56665
New to guns and to site.

I am new to the site and still do not own a gun. I have been to 3 different gun stores in the last two weeks over 5 times. I am looking at purchasing the XDM .40 or .45. I do intend to get a CCL and am looking at the .40 for the subcompact feature in the 3.8. I have also looked at the M&P .45. I am torn between these three guns. Most likely I will get the XDm just not sure which caliber. For the price ($600) I will get the whole package whereas the M&P just comes with the gun and a mag and a box. Any suggestions? Also, today I will be going to a friends to fire his SRC 9mm. It will be the second time I ever shot a pistol. I bought 50 rounds and am very excited. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
DudemanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Welcome to the forum, and any of the 3 weapons you mentioned would be fine purchases... the compact .40 would likely be the best CC option obviously.
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 50254
Welcome to the forum!
Ruger Mark II .22LR

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." Thomas Jefferson
naildriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 47117
I have the xd40sc. Great, accurate dependable pistol. I am confident it will go bang everytime.

Welcome from vegas.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55412
Welcome to the site. I suggest shooting before you buy (and shooting, and shooting...). It is a good idea to ease yourself into CC. You should be very comfortable with handguns in general and develop solid habits before you try to strap a live firearm on your person. I like that you are going to choose your handgun with its intended purpose in the front of your mind. I just don't think a person should conceal/carry until they can't remember specifically how many times they have fired a pistol. It takes some time and LOTS of reps before you reach the point where the risk of shooting yourself is less than you having to shoot a BG. My advice is to take it easy and decide if shooting is going to become a hobby of yours before signing up for CCL. It's kind of like grooving a golf swing. If you only play a few times a year, you will never get very good at it. Difference is that there is very low risk of killing yourself or a family member by carrying a golf club around the house...
libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56665
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertad View Post
My advice is to take it easy and decide if shooting is going to become a hobby of yours before signing up for CCL. It's kind of like grooving a golf swing. If you only play a few times a year, you will never get very good at it. Difference is that there is very low risk of killing yourself or a family member by carrying a golf club around the house...
Thats good advice, I am confident that once I own a gun it will become an obsession of sorts. I definitely do want to carry concealed though. In NC, where I live, you have to buy a permit to get every gun you purchase...up to 5 per month. With a CCL you can buy as many as you want and the CCL is good for 5 years. Seems like it will be worth it in the long run.
DudemanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 55903
Welcome
Triplblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
XDTalk 50K Member

Member #: 29563
howdy
Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54290
Welcome from Iowa

Professional Firefighter IAFF
Locksmith
mrdinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6127
hello to ya
XD compact 4in, 45 acp black,
XD bi tone service 9
COUPLE SHOTGUNS
COWBOY GUNS

BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF TOO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

beginner, m&p .45, subcompact, xdm .40, xdm 45