• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing.

This is a discussion on Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing. within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; I sold my pickup truck today so tomorrow I am going down to by my XDm I have thought and thought and so on that ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center » Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45446
Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing.

I sold my pickup truck today so tomorrow I am going down to by my XDm I have thought and thought and so on that I am going to get it OD green on bottom. I also want it to be in a 9 mm I have been thinking for the cost of shooting reasons. I plan on shooting a lot. I live about 2 miles from the civilian firing range at Fort Lewis WA. I also am a 100% Service Connected Disabled Vet. So I get to go on post and shoot for very little cost. I have my Civilian – Military ID card and the proper stickers to get me on post. I would like to be as proficient with my new pistol as I was with my M-16 and that was darn good. I have been telling myself if I plan on shooting a lot I need to get a 9 mm for the cost of the rounds they are cheaper. I also should say that I have my CPL permit and plan on daily carry. (Yes I am also taking courses from The Firearms Academy of Seattle when my class comes up. So I guess I should ask am I cutting myself short by getting a 9 mm because of cost (for practice shooting) when I should be looking at something larger? My reasoning is that I know most police shoot a 9 mm I also know that shot placement (in a self defense occasion) is imperative. I have always been good in this area, I homesteaded for 16 years in Alaska and hunted for all my food then. I am a good shot. What are some thoughts, and opinions from your gentlemen that think I should be looking at a larger caliber weapon. I know that if a bad guy is shot in the (man I hate writing like this) head area with a 9 mm he is not going to stand and argue with you. What do you guys think? 9 mm, .40 or 45?
jcsftwre is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24597
Go with the 9mm. Unless you are into reloading, the 9mm will be the cheapest caliber to purchase of the three you mentioned. Practice, practice, practice. I, for one, would not want to be shot with either of the three calibers you mentioned. The 9mm is a fine round and will get the job done. 'nuf said.
Spawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45307
im new to shooting but i do like my 9s. i have a ruger p95 and a colt combat commander and follow up shots and managing recoil are easier and faster with the nine. the 1911 is awesome but the nine is my baby. i say your making a good choice. but hey thats just me. but i do think that if you plan on carrying it maybe you should go with a smaller pistol than the xdm. like maybe a subcompact
"Forgive your enemies but never forget their names...." JFK
nitsudredle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
there is only one true answer to your question, and here it is...

Whatever you shoot best.

For a carry piece, it really doesnt matter as long as you can put two in the chest and one in the head in a stressful situation. Buy and carry what works best for you.

I carry a .45 because i prefer the push back recoil as opposed to a snappy recoil.

.40 is no good for me, i cannot shoot it well. 9mm is better but my groups are twice as good with a .45 so i bought a .45 for carry

if its a range toy, go with 9mm for cheap ammo

other than that buy what shoots best, if you can rent all three calibers and try them, that is the best idea

its like the Glock vs XD discussion, both are great pistols, when i tested both the XD groups for me were half that of the glock and it felt better in my hand than the Glock so i bought the XD

If i would have shot the Glock better I would have bought the Glock

only other answer is the ultimate answer, buy all three and a whole lot of bullets, then shoot the weekend away

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45297
My vote is 9mm. Cheaper to shoot is the main reason, unless you have a hook up on ammo.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 42730
i went from glock 17 (9mm) to xdm9 to xd40sc to xdm40 to 1911 (.45acp). I still own both .40s and the 1911. the two rounds are very different but are enjoyable in their own way. the price difference from 9-.40-.45 isnt that huge to where your not still going to be able to put a lot of rounds down range. go with whats the most comfortable for you.

chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 20418
Welcome to the forum jcsftwre..
And thank you for your service and sacrifice to the country.
I like my nines...

"Scheiße nicht gegeben"......Deer Slayer
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45209
from ever thing you said I would go with the 9mm

Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson
rry.
operator742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
Nothing wrong with a 9mm.

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

.40, .45, 9 mm, xdm