• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing.

This is a discussion on Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing. within the New Member Welcome Center forums, part of the Information category; Thank you for your service. Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Think you will do just fine with the 9mm....

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center » Opinions requested I am buying my XDM tomorrow, please no arguing.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 38419
Thank you for your service. Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Think you will do just fine with the 9mm.
40XDSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45446
Thanks for all the replies and the encouragement. Thank you for the kind words on my service, sometimes life sucks because of it, but the V.A. takes pretty good care of me.
I was/am pretty set on the 9 mm but I wanted some other peoples opinions and to hear what they have to say. I know some guns feel better in one guys hand and feel bad in another. But shoot long enough a man can adapt to most anything or situation. Thanks guys.
Rick
(R.A.T.M.)
jcsftwre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45603
I'm new to this whole gun thing, but from what I understand there are 2 schools of thought. The first is that you want to blow 1 big hole in the perp and stop him in his tracks (.45). The second is to have a gun that has little recoil and will allow you to get back on target to put as many holes as possible in him, thus dropping his blood pressure, and putting him into hemorrhagic shock (9mm). I don't disagree with either from a self defense standpoint, both will work. This is why I have a .40. If you intend to put obscene numbers of round through it I would agree that a 9mm would be the most cost effective.

thoughts?
2fastforU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13497
If you plan on shooting a lot, I suggest that you seriously consider reloading. It may pay for itself pretty quick depending how much you shoot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Member -------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
rockerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44940
i have an xdm 3.8 40 good thing with that calber you have the option to go buy a conversion barrel to change to 9 mm or 357 sig barrel around 160 with the 9mm u have to get the regular xdm 9 magazine they fit same frame size 357 sig fit in original magazine
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43722
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopko View Post
i have an xdm 3.8 40 good thing with that calber you have the option to go buy a conversion barrel to change to 9 mm or 357 sig barrel around 160 with the 9mm u have to get the regular xdm 9 magazine they fit same frame size 357 sig fit in original magazine
I know to each his own but just throwing my opinion on this.

I am not a fan of conversion barrels. For little more (after the barrel, recoil spring and magazines), I would rather buy a 2nd gun (even a used one). I want my gun (a .40 XDM in my case) ready at any time.

I actually did exactly that and bought (not a 9mm but) a 22LR Buck Mark...even much cheaper to shoot. . Yes I know it doesn't count as practice for my HD gun but it sure help minimize cost at the range and still get loads of fun!!! (and that 's what matters to me)
Poink88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21009
Rick,
Another Thank You for your service, and I hope we are taking good care of you. You deserve it.

I agree with xdmp22. Shoot what you can shoot well. Instructors will tell you to shoot what you can put multiple rounds on target with, in a couple seconds.

I've carried everything and I keep going back to 9mm. The caliber debate will never end.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy. John
thunderjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39205
another thankyou for your service, another welcome to a great forum with many helpful members, and another vote for 9mm to do what you described you want. As you can see in my sig I like 9s, for the reasons you and others have stated: best cost for practice, LEOs all over have used 9s for years. I'd also add one more reason: higher magazine capacity. XDm has difference of three rounds between 9mm to 40cal. May not be a biggie for you, but can be enough difference to avoid carrying a spare mag. My example: most of my use is open carry in back country - I usually feel my XD has plenty with 16+1, but I always take a spare mag when carry the HiPower.
other forums I like: rugerforum.net canadiangunnutz.com
XD9 service and XDs45, a few other brands around here someplace (wink)
CdnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44350
You don't want to spend the next few years second guessing yourself by being talked out of something. 9 is a great cartridge - if that is what you want, get it.
rogerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44973
Thumbs up

welcome from ohio.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » New Member Welcome Center

.40, .45, 9 mm, xdm