• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

What happens if I use regular unleaded in Acura TL or Audi A4 instead of Premium?

This is a discussion on What happens if I use regular unleaded in Acura TL or Audi A4 instead of Premium? within the Motor Sports forums, part of the Off Topic Discussions category; As the title says....

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Off Topic Discussions » Motor Sports » What happens if I use regular unleaded in Acura TL or Audi A4 instead of Premium?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Old Timer

Member #: 56490
What happens if I use regular unleaded in Acura TL or Audi A4 instead of Premium?

As the title says.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
Higher compression ratio needs higher octane to prevent detonation

You might be able to get away with it for a while...but one day the fuel/air mixture will ignite to early because the lower octane level and your engine will go kaput!

http://www.whatcouldbegreener.com/14...will-cost-you/
http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/ga...tane-fuel.html

Piston detination

‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62643
you'll notice poorer fuel economy and poorer performance. Highly unlikely to see the engine self destruct, there's enough safe guards in place to help prevent detonation.

Higher grade fuels also sometimes have additional additives to help keep the system clean... but you also never want to run higher octane then your car is designed for. Higher octane fuels have less energy, and will also cause driveability problems.
partdeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39205
I can't speak for the Audi, but I have an 07 Acura TL Type S. I have never put regular in. I have read that if you use regular, the computer will adjust for less octane, then you'll get less power and worse gas mileage. So some, maybe most, of what you save at pump will get chewed up on road. If you do put regular in, be sure you are not putting your foot hard into the gas pedal, that will ask for trouble, worst case being what AwPhuch showed above.

here's one decent discussion I just found on the web, has some good points on both sides of the debate:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_us...in_an_Acura_TL
other forums I like: rugerforum.net canadiangunnutz.com
XD9 service and XDs45, a few other brands around here someplace (wink)
CdnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
You are just making it harder on your engine than it needs to be.

With the more modern engines and computer controls, the electronics will adjust timing etc to make the engine run. Your economy will suffer, and as mentioned above, at some point you will start getting detonation and/or fouling.... eventually, it COULD do some damage to the engine.

I had a '03 VW Jetta with the turbo 1.8 and while it called for Premium, I ran nothing but regular unleaded through it 100% of the time. No problems, but mileage did suffer.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50672
If your car is turbo, higher octane is a necessity for it to run without detonating. Of course, if you stay out of boost, youll be fine
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsearcher View Post
You are just making it harder on your engine than it needs to be.

With the more modern engines and computer controls, the electronics will adjust timing etc to make the engine run. Your economy will suffer, and as mentioned above, at some point you will start getting detonation and/or fouling.... eventually, it COULD do some damage to the engine.

I had a '03 VW Jetta with the turbo 1.8 and while it called for Premium, I ran nothing but regular unleaded through it 100% of the time. No problems, but mileage did suffer.
Electronic timing will adjust...but it cannot adjust far enough out to prevent damage if it did prematurely detonate..that sound that sounds like marbles rattling around is detonation or knocking..just a little bit more fuel and kaput!

There is not less energy in higher octane fuel..the octane rating is the ability of the fuel to withstand higher compression ratios w/o pre-detonating
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 47117
I've noticed a fifference in my bike. Been on 89 for a month, and I'm switching back to 91 when I get gas next. Bike ran good for a week or so, but now it seems alittle sluggish. Need to clean my air filter and do an oil change too. I know you didn't ask about bikes, but I do notice a difference in the octane.

I highly reccomend k&n air filters, and amzoil for you speedy guys.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 66682
it will run like crap, its only a few dollars difference. dont be a cheap ass haha.
BPacak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwPhuch View Post
There is not less energy in higher octane fuel..the octane rating is the ability of the fuel to withstand higher compression ratios w/o pre-detonating
higher octane ratings have lower Btu, that is a fact. Higher octane ratings also have a slower burn, which is why you can increase compression ratio.
partdeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Off Topic Discussions » Motor Sports

Search tags for this page
2012 acura tl fuel type
audi a4 regular unleaded gas?
audi q5 premium bs regular unleaded
can i put an acura tl bumper on regular tl?

can you use regular gas in audi q5

can you use unleaded instead of premium gas in acura
can you use unleaded instead of premium gas in the 2008 acura tl
do you have to use premium gas in an acura tl
grade of gas for 2013 tl
is premium gas required for acura tl
what can i do if i put regular gas instead premium
what happens if i don't use premium gas on acura tl?
what happens if i use regular unleaded instead of premium gas?
what happens if you put east unleaded on a acura instead of premium
what happens when you put regular gas instead of premium
what type of gas for 2010 acura tl
Click on a term to search for related topics.