• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Suggestions on which long range scope for Socom 2

This is a discussion on Suggestions on which long range scope for Socom 2 within the M1A /M14 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Imitially I was going to mount a CQB style sight like an Acog or Trijicon. I have since decided that I want something "good" that ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » M1A /M14 Talk » Suggestions on which long range scope for Socom 2

Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45619
Suggestions on which long range scope for Socom 2

Imitially I was going to mount a CQB style sight like an Acog or Trijicon. I have since decided that I want something "good" that I can reach out and touch paper with. My range is only 200/yds but I want something for 800-1000 yards. Any suggestions?

XDM .40 4.5 OD/SS Tungsten SS Guide Rod,

S&W M&P15 YHM Picatinny Rail, ATI Pistol Grip, Magpul Foregrip, FSC556 Muzzle Break, Lancer L5 Mags

----------------------------

Crossbreed Supertuck
Blackhawk Serpa
Tac Force Bags
Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61309
Had good luck with a Nikon on my M1A. I currently use a Buckmaster with mil-dot. The Monarch Mils are super nice, and affordable. If you want to go with rugged, and slightly better quality, but don't want to break the bank, the Trijicon Accupoints are tremendous scopes for the money.

The .308 isn't really a strong 1000 yard round. Even the Army refers to it as 800 yard effective range. Couple that to a shorter, non-match grade barrel, and you'll have your work cut out for you. Be sure to stock up on match grade ammunition. Something heavier and stable for the flight. Had great luck with Black Hills Match w/ 155 grain A-Max bullet. Not out to that distance, but shoots between 1/2 and 3/4 moa at 100, very reliable to 350. Farthest I've shot it so far, but would definitely trust it to 600. Best of luck.

Stronghold Tactical Shooters
IDPA #A51518 - ESP Marksman - 141.31 sec.
Commonwealth CCDW Carrier
OIF/OEF Vet (19D)
NRA Life Member
Scouter19D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter19D View Post
Had good luck with a Nikon on my M1A. I currently use a Buckmaster with mil-dot. The Monarch Mils are super nice, and affordable. If you want to go with rugged, and slightly better quality, but don't want to break the bank, the Trijicon Accupoints are tremendous scopes for the money.

The .308 isn't really a strong 1000 yard round. Even the Army refers to it as 800 yard effective range. Couple that to a shorter, non-match grade barrel, and you'll have your work cut out for you. Be sure to stock up on match grade ammunition. Something heavier and stable for the flight. Had great luck with Black Hills Match w/ 155 grain A-Max bullet. Not out to that distance, but shoots between 1/2 and 3/4 moa at 100, very reliable to 350. Farthest I've shot it so far, but would definitely trust it to 600. Best of luck.

Excellent, thank you for the reply! I will definitely check out the Accupoint. I'm not shooting any further than 200 yards right now but would be very happy to get out as far as 600 accurately. Thanks for the ammo info. as well, I will have to try them out. Thanks again.

S&W M&P15 YHM Picatinny Rail, ATI Pistol Grip, Magpul Foregrip, FSC556 Muzzle Break, Lancer L5 Mags

Crossbreed Supertuck
Blackhawk Serpa
Tac Force Bags
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
What's your budget and is this daylight only or do you need low light performance cuz clarity is one of the things that separates a $300 scope from a $1k scope? Are you ranging and need something more than Mildots and are you shooting from a bench or need something that will stand up to moving, banging, and shooting off barricades?

I've taken my .308 to 1018 yards and, although it's not the best round for it, it will get there however good glass is mandatory for trying to get hits on an 18" target in wind. Any decent scope Nikon, Bushnell Elite, SS, etc will get you to 500 or so but many of the lower end scopes don't have enough elevation to get to 600 without an MOA base. Not necessarily a bad idea to get a decent starter scope and then replace it once you have outgrown it but if you want to cry once then take that into consideration. I would also spend almost as much time selecting your base and rings as you do your scope. I've seen lots of people buy $20 rings and waste $200 in ammo because the rings didn't properly hold the scope.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Um.

Anyone wanna point out that a 16" barrel and 1000 yard shots are...well, unlikely, no matter what optics you put on it?

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
I didn't know the Socom was 16". I've seen video of 20" barrel .308s and .223s hitting 1k so I suppose anything is possible. Of course those were high end bolt guns and hand loaded rounds.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

I'm not trying to shoot it 1000 yds. But I would like a long range scope that's accurate to 5-600 yds, and see out to 1000. My budget is 10-12 hundred.

Crossbreed Supertuck
Blackhawk Serpa
Tac Force Bags
Old 08-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 38779
Look at a SWFA super sniper scope. Most are sub 1K and very good. I have the 10x42 with side focus. I paid 400 for it and it is great glass. SWFA also has a demo section. I got a 900 Leupold for 699. It was in like new condition.

Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!
mongovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I am looking to pick up this Nikon for a Remington 700:
Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF Riflescopes FREE S&H 8419, 8420. Nikon Monarch Riflescopes, Nikon Riflescopes.

I haven't used one yet but I have heard good things for the price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » M1A /M14 Talk

Search tags for this page
best scope for m1a socom ii
best scope for socom 2

best scope for socom ii

best socom scope
effective range of a socom 2 rifle
m1a socom 2 effective range
recommended scope for socom 2
socom 2 rifle effective range
socom ii replacement sights
socom ii scope
the best optic for socom 2 .308 rifle
which m1a to trust at 600 yds
Click on a term to search for related topics.