• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

M1A or FN FNAR

This is a discussion on M1A or FN FNAR within the M1A /M14 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; M14Xman, nice first post. If you doubt they can shoot sub-MOA, provide the article by a reputable author and pictures of the target, from the ...

Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #31
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28273
M14Xman, nice first post. If you doubt they can shoot sub-MOA, provide the article by a reputable author and pictures of the target, from the same shoot in the article. Otherwise don't troll.

Don't make me turn the CAPS lock on...
ghost--scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #32
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
^True!

Here's some reviews from guys I listen to that say it really is sub MOA:

FNH 7.62x51 (.30 FNAR Semi-Auto Rifle
You have to see the pictures on this one, it shows 3 shots at 100 yards all within 7/16"!!!

Tactical-Life.com FNH USA FNAR .308
"It was no surprise to me that this ammo produced the best results, a 0.98 of an inch average with a best group measuring just under 0.61 of an inch. Three out of five groups were sub-MOA, satisfying FNs accuracy guarantee."
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #33
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost--scout View Post
M14Xman, nice first post. If you doubt they can shoot sub-MOA, provide the article by a reputable author and pictures of the target, from the same shoot in the article. Otherwise don't troll.
Please, no need to lecture me or call me names, you are telling Noah about the flood. It seems to me that you are the one trolling and looking for a fight. All I did was ask at what yardage these claims were made, and as I suspected and "stated", they would be 3-5 rounds at 100 yds. Most any high power rifle can do that. It is when distance comes into play that the platform speaks well of itself regarding moa shooting.

It really is sad when advice is asked for, and then a person takes their time to give it, then gets kicked in the teeth for giving it. Really glad I didn't go into all the other reasons that I believe the M1A is superior to the FN. It might have gotten into a real gut slinger here....geez.

ZH, please do not take my post the wrong way, I was not calling you a liar. I just happen to have a lot of experience shooting these things and wanted to know the distance, thats all. Glad you decided on the M14 type platform, you won't regret it.
M14Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #34
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14Xman View Post
ZH, please do not take my post the wrong way, I was not calling you a liar. I just happen to have a lot of experience shooting these things and wanted to know the distance, thats all. Glad you decided on the M14 type platform, you won't regret it.
No worries man! I'm excited to get one, although I am now torn as mentioned between the SOCOM 16 and Squad Scout. I plan to go with the SOCOM right now....then get an FNAR latter! Sounds like the bottom line is they are both great guns!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #35
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28273
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14Xman View Post
Please, no need to lecture me or call me names, you are telling Noah about the flood. It seems to me that you are the one trolling and looking for a fight. All I did was ask at what yardage these claims were made, and as I suspected and "stated", they would be 3-5 rounds at 100 yds. Most any high power rifle can do that. It is when distance comes into play that the platform speaks well of itself regarding moa shooting.
Nobody is kicking anybody in the teeth here. Your first post on this forum makes claims that contradict every range report I've ever read about the FNAR. Of course I'm going to be suspicious if one conducts themselves like that. If you make a claim like that, back it up. As far as how the platform performs, that is subjective. A rifle that can shoot sub .5MOA at 1000 yards does me little good if I never shoot past 100 yards.

Don't make me turn the CAPS lock on...
ghost--scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #36
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9014
Quote:
I am still on the fence. I think I may take your all's advice and get the Scout and do the flash suppressor conversion to shorten it without loosing barrel length. Did some one post a link as to a good place to buy the kit?
Smith Enterprises carries the Vortex kit for both Scout and SOCOM
7.62mmm/.30 cal. Vortex® Flash*Suppressor / Eliminators : Smith Enterprise, Inc. scroll down about mid page.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #37
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 11601
fragout2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #38
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcraigco View Post
Frag, I am assuming you are taking this info off of specs on the interwebz and have not weighed them yourself.

If you have both guns and weighed them, take your scale back, it's busted.

Weiging both guns on my postal scale, and using the same optics and swapping them back and forth, here is what I got, first hand.

Stripped, no optics, no mag
M1A= 8.9 lbs (Squad Scout version)
FNAR= 7.8 lbs
(BIG difference, however I DO have the light version of the FNAR)

Aimpoint with empty mag in
M1A= 10.2 lbs
FNAR= 8.5 lbs
(FNAR wins again, and though expensive, its mags are a little lighter) )

Scoped with nightforce 2-10x32
M1A 11.0 LBS!
FNAR= 9.8lbs

( I am "best guessing" the tenths here as I have an old dial scale, but is is accurate and zeroed )

As far as not needing optics on the M1A, that IS true you don't HAVE to run optics as it has iron sights. BUT I find I hit faster and further out with optics than irons, so do 95% of shooters these days including those in harms way, so I'll keep optics on my fightin guns and dump weight somewhere else.

Also, IMHO the FNAR balances ALOT better in my hands, it's just easier to carry and shoulder. My eye lines up perfectly with the optics when shouldered as well, whether off hand or benched, a known weak spot in the M1A platform.

Length is within 1/2 inch of each other (to the FNAR's slight favor) when stood on a bench butt down. My Squad Scout does have a traditional M1A muzzle attachment.

Again, it's all about individual choices, but I'll still take my FNAR over my M1A if I have to choose between the two.
\

I got the weights off the FNAR website.

I believe you when you say your Scout weighs out at 9.8lbs, as they vary quite a bit depending on the type of stock one is using. The synthetics vary in weight as well. (At least my pile of synthetics has.)

Too be honest, I dont own a M1A Scout.(SAI site claims they weigh out at 8.8lbs) Here are the 2 rifles I weighed out on a very precise Military scale at work...( No guessing with the "tenths" as this scale is digital and what we use for weighing bags that are to be loaded onto aircraft)...

Top to bottom
M1A-A1 Bush rifle with USGI synthetic stock and hand guard = 8.3 lbs
M14S Custom Tanker/GI synthetic furniture/ Arms 18 mount = 8.8lbs

Note: Does not include the weight of the mags.
Note: An M14 20rd mag topped off with Q3130 weighs in at 1.5lbs exact.

100% of us that are deployed here and now have iron sights. Optics do have their place however. I'm using glass on an issued M14 downrange, as this is where I'm located now. Some of my fighting rifles have glass, but all of them have iron sights.

Like you said...... To each his own. Any pics of your rifles?

11B
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #39
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter View Post

Any way as an update I just ordered 5 CMI 20 round mags and 3 CMI 25 round mags because I saw a decent deal so I am locked into getting the M1 first. I just got pricing from my dealer on a Squad Scout and am waiting to hear on the SOCOM 16.

I am still on the fence. I think I may take your all's advice and get the Scout and do the flash suppressor conversion to shorten it without loosing barrel length. Did some one post a link as to a good place to buy the kit?
Here is some info that may help you decide, regarding the 18inch barreled versions of the M1A (Scout/Bush)

Both of them to include the Socom versions sport non chrome lined std weight bbls with 1/11in twist.

A comparison pic of a std castle nut flash hider/front sight assembly (Same length as the Scout's muzzle brake) and a Smith Enterprise Inc. (SEI) Vortex direct connect flash hider/gas lock (hooded/HK style) front sight.

Note: I lined them up as best I could to show the difference in OAL.
Note: The bbl with the SEI "front end" in the above pic is actually a Criterion std weight Chrome lined 18.5in tube, while the other one is an SAI 18in bbl.

Note: OAL utilizing the Scout/Bush 18in bbl will be at 39inches, while a Socom comes in at 37.5 inches OAL.

Sight radius (iron sights) :

M1A Scout = 22.75in
SEI gas lock fron sight = 21.25in
Socom = 21.50in

Additional specs :
Front sight post widths. M1A-A1 = 0.062 NM / M14S with SEI GLFS = 0.062

Note: SEI makes 3 types of Gas Lock Front Sights (GLFS)
1. The Hooded HK style shown above
2. The D-22 for use with 22in bbls.
3. The D-18 for use with 18/18.5 in bbls.

Below is a pic of my LRB Arms M14SA with the D-18 type and Vortex DC FH.....

Note: The rifle in above pic also has an SEI extended bolt stop/release. alot of right handed folks who shoot this type of rifle prefer it to the std bolt stop, as the right hand does not have to leave the grip in order to operate the op-rod and/or mag swaps. Lefty's are gtg without it. I shoot with either hand, so figured I would give it a try and see if I like it or not.

Here is a website concerning the SEI "front end" for additional info...
M14 Parts & Accessories : Smith Enterprise, Inc.

Hope this helps some.

11B
Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #40
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 31141
I traded the fnar to mtcraigco and I'm tickled that he's happy with it. It is a very accurate semi automatic rifle. It's gone because I was scared to take it apart.

I have a dpms ap4 .308, an m1a standard, and an rfb.

My dpms ap4 is as accurate as the fnar and I can work on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"God and guns
Keep us strong.
That's what this country
Was founded on.
Well, we might as well give up and run
If we let them take our God and guns."
ryr8828 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » M1A /M14 Talk

Search tags for this page
browning bar hog hunter vs springfield m1a scout squad
fn fnar aftermarket stock

fn fnar review

fn fnar vs m1a
fnar 308 review
fnar 308 stock
fnar replacement stock

fnar review

fnar reviews

fnar vs m1a

fnh fnar review
m14 vs fnar
m1a scout specs
m1a vs fnar
smith and enterprise glfs
Click on a term to search for related topics.