• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

M1A or FN FNAR

This is a discussion on M1A or FN FNAR within the M1A /M14 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; They are both great rifles, it's gonna come down to individual preference on choosing one over the other....

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 7595
They are both great rifles, it's gonna come down to individual preference on choosing one over the other.

Prov 21:15,16
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.

mtcraigco is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 51845
The weight of both is why the US Military opted for the M-16 and all its' varients. Given that, I still prefer the M1A/M14. It is a proven system..just as the FN is. As Mark said (above) it is a personal choice. I just like the semi-auto of the Springfield.

US Army MP 1974-1986
NRA Member expires 2015
Rbrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I think now I'm just going to get a SOCOM 16. I'm sure my mind will change again in a few days!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter View Post
I think now I'm just going to get a SOCOM 16. I'm sure my mind will change again in a few days!
For me, it's pretty much which of the Socom 16 or the FNAR will I get first. I keep going back and forth, but I've accepted that one day I will own both these guns.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9014
Skip the socom and get a scout. It's only 2" longer in the barrel(compared to the SOCOM's 16"), and has almost the same velocity as the 22".
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #26
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter View Post
It was distracting while firing and just begging to get caught on something. Also the barrel seemed to heat up very fast, like it was too thin.
this is what happens on pencil barrels, they heat up faster but they cool faster too. Also something I've noticed with piston guns is it just defers the heat more on the barrel instead of back into the action like DI. Same thing happens to my ACR, the piston gas block area and handguards gets really hot.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #27
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
Same thing happens to my ACR, the piston gas block area and handguards gets really hot.
I am very interested in the ACR which appears on several levels to be a better gun that the SCAR but I know a guy that bought one 2 months ago and had to return it as part of the recall. They told him it would be a few months until he could have it back so he said keep it and bought a Daniel Defense AR instead.

Have you had any issue with this?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58322
Had the chance to fondle an FNAR heavy barrel at the gun shop recently. Very nice build quality, which I expect from FN. I did notice that it was a little front heavy, but that was with no magazine in the weapon. Also, if I'm using it primarily as a long distance hole punch, it's going to be supported anyway by either a tripod or bags.

Also took a look at the SCAR, which was nice and light, and pretty dang nifty, but at $3000, I could buy both the FNAR and the M1A and still have a little money left over.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60958
I might be a bit biased, but you did ask for opinions. As for sub moa from FN's, ehh, I don't know what range they are talking about ,or how many rounds per group of sub moa shooting. I suspect it can't be more than 3-5 rounds to hold sub at a hundred yds.

Once an M1A is carefully looked at to make sure the gas cylinder is not hitting up front in the stock, and the ferrule is filed down to clear it, I have failed to see one not, be able to hold moa, with good quality handloads or excellent match ammo such a federal gold medal, and even federal red box will on occasion. So I vote for an M1A. Good luck on whichever you decide to get, as long as it's an M1A...haa haa haa.
M14Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #30
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14Xman View Post
I might be a bit biased, but you did ask for opinions. As for sub moa from FN's, ehh, I don't know what range they are talking about
It doesn't matter what range they use, MOA is MOA is MOA. In the cases I read they started with the standard 100 yards where the shots came in grouped at less than 1", hence "sub-M0A". Now when they shoot 500 meters and the shots come in less than 5" apart that is still sub-MOA.

Any way as an update I just ordered 5 CMI 20 round mags and 3 CMI 25 round mags because I saw a decent deal so I am locked into getting the M1 first. I just got pricing from my dealer on a Squad Scout and am waiting to hear on the SOCOM 16.

I am still on the fence. I think I may take your all's advice and get the Scout and do the flash suppressor conversion to shorten it without loosing barrel length. Did some one post a link as to a good place to buy the kit?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » M1A /M14 Talk

Search tags for this page
browning bar hog hunter vs springfield m1a scout squad
fn fnar aftermarket stock

fn fnar review

fn fnar vs m1a
fnar 308 review
fnar 308 stock
fnar forum
fnar replacement stock

fnar review

fnar reviews

fnar stock replacement

fnar vs m1a

fnh fnar review
m1a vs fnar
smith and enterprise glfs
springfield m1 vs fnar 308
Click on a term to search for related topics.