• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

M1A or FN FNAR

This is a discussion on M1A or FN FNAR within the M1A /M14 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I vote m1a but I'm biased lol. I actually just ordered a mess of parts for my socom. Its like christmas in july ha, soon ...

Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26083
I vote m1a but I'm biased lol. I actually just ordered a mess of parts for my socom. Its like christmas in july ha, soon she'll be sitting in a nsg sage chassis.
Mossberg 590 (314+)
XDM-45 Trijicon (547+)
Loaded S/S Champion (423+)
S&W M&P15 MOE (790)
Mossberg 935 SPX (105)
Remington 700 SPS Tactical (waiting on glass)
kirk22287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 7595
I have both. I've always been a little bit disappointed in my Squad Scouts accuracy, and i't s heavy SOB. I really would not grab it if I have to pack it for very long, I'd grab an AR instead and take the loss of hitting power as a fair trade off.

My FNAR is lighter, far more accurate and more ergonomic to boot, other than those spendy mags, I like my FNAR alot better.

I WOULD grab it as a packing/trekking rifle if I anticipated long ranges and/or wanted more punch or stand off than an AR.
As a matter of fact, my FNAR is my current "reach out and touch someone" gun, and wont wear you out getting it there if you have a ways to go.

I vote for the FNAR, but you know what they say about opinions

Prov 21:15,16
When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.

mtcraigco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosT View Post
Get both?

Okay, got the standard forum answer is out of the way.

I'm actually weighing almost the same decision. For me it's between the Socom 16 and the FNAR. So I'm interested as well in the comparison between the two.
Same here..
BTW I already own the Squat Scout.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin
nyc71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #14
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcraigco View Post
My FNAR is lighter, far more accurate and more ergonomic to boot, other than those spendy mags, I like my FNAR alot better.

I WOULD grab it as a packing/trekking rifle if I anticipated long ranges and/or wanted more punch or stand off than an AR.
As a matter of fact, my FNAR is my current "reach out and touch someone" gun, and wont wear you out getting it there if you have a ways to go.

What sort of optics are you running on the FNAR? I thought I could throw my EO Tech EXPS 3-0 with 3x magnifier on it and have great combination of tactical ability and enough help to hit out to 300+ meters.

I think if I get the Squad scout I'll just throw on my Aimpoint M2 with the lowest mount La Rue makes.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
Official Site Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter View Post
What sort of optics are you running on the FNAR? I thought I could throw my EO Tech EXPS 3-0 with 3x magnifier on it and have great combination of tactical ability and enough help to hit out to 300+ meters.

I think if I get the Squad scout I'll just throw on my Aimpoint M2 with the lowest mount La Rue makes.
Im currently running a Nightforce 2-10x32 on it, I think your idea or an ACOG would also work very well and make it a bit more versatile.

I currently just run a red dot on my M1A, I'ts either an M2 or a good clone from primary arms.

Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
XDTalk 50K Member

Member #: 29563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcraigco View Post
I have both. I've always been a little bit disappointed in my Squad Scouts accuracy, and i't s heavy SOB. I really would not grab it if I have to pack it for very long, I'd grab an AR instead and take the loss of hitting power as a fair trade off.

Fully Agree
Weight and accuracy do it!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 11601
I would have to disagree in regards to the FN FNAR being lighter in weight vs an M1A Scout.

FN FNAR - L = 4.08 KG ( 8.99 lbs )
FN FNAR - H = 4.54 KG ( 9.99lbs)

Note : The above does not include optics

M1A Scout/Socom run at 8.3 to 8.8 lbs, depending on the type of stock being weighed. This doesn't include optics, but the M1A doesnt need optics to begin with.

OAL:

FN FNAR = 41.5in ( Both versions)
M1A Socom = 37.5in
M1A Scout = 40.3in

Note: If one installs an SEI Vortex flash hider/ gasl lock front sight to a Scout, then the OAL = 39.5in.

Ergonomics are an individual thing imo. I like the traditional stocks as they feel right to me, but this type of rifle can be had in either type. Add enough rails with stuff hanging off of them, and I could see how a M1A Scout might weigh more than an FN FNAR-L...

11B
fragout2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
Official Site Vendor

Frag, I am assuming you are taking this info off of specs on the interwebz and have not weighed them yourself.

If you have both guns and weighed them, take your scale back, it's busted.

Weiging both guns on my postal scale, and using the same optics and swapping them back and forth, here is what I got, first hand.

Stripped, no optics, no mag
M1A= 8.9 lbs (Squad Scout version)
FNAR= 7.8 lbs
(BIG difference, however I DO have the light version of the FNAR)

Aimpoint with empty mag in
M1A= 10.2 lbs
FNAR= 8.5 lbs
(FNAR wins again, and though expensive, its mags are a little lighter) )

Scoped with nightforce 2-10x32
M1A 11.0 LBS!
FNAR= 9.8lbs

( I am "best guessing" the tenths here as I have an old dial scale, but is is accurate and zeroed )

As far as not needing optics on the M1A, that IS true you don't HAVE to run optics as it has iron sights. BUT I find I hit faster and further out with optics than irons, so do 95% of shooters these days including those in harms way, so I'll keep optics on my fightin guns and dump weight somewhere else.

Also, IMHO the FNAR balances ALOT better in my hands, it's just easier to carry and shoulder. My eye lines up perfectly with the optics when shouldered as well, whether off hand or benched, a known weak spot in the M1A platform.

Length is within 1/2 inch of each other (to the FNAR's slight favor) when stood on a bench butt down. My Squad Scout does have a traditional M1A muzzle attachment.

Again, it's all about individual choices, but I'll still take my FNAR over my M1A if I have to choose between the two.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 46969
The M1A is a good choice in the US. It is reliable and accurate. The is good info on improving accuracy on M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles to show how a little can make a big difference in all M1A models.

With peep sights people shoot excellent groups. Back in the day, issue M14's approaching the end of life were still quite accurate at long range in the Army & the Marines. The M14 with a little accurizing was a very good sniper rifle in Vietnam.
CPTKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
Well the obvious choice is just to buy both! Lol!

Good info here though guys, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » M1A /M14 Talk

Search tags for this page
browning bar hog hunter vs springfield m1a scout squad
fn fnar aftermarket stock

fn fnar review

fn fnar vs m1a
fnar 308 review
fnar 308 stock
fnar forum
fnar replacement stock

fnar review

fnar reviews

fnar standard 16 reviews
fnar stock replacement

fnar vs m1a

fnh fnar review
m1a vs fnar
smith and enterprise glfs
Click on a term to search for related topics.