• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Post'em if you've got 'em!

This is a discussion on Post'em if you've got 'em! within the M1A /M14 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by Achped Hey guys I have $$$ and am going next week to look at M1As. I just can't decide whether or not ...

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #21
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped View Post
Hey guys I have $$$ and am going next week to look at M1As.

I just can't decide whether or not to get a Full size (mil-spec), scout with a good scope, or Socom II with red dot.

In a perfect world without a wife and a car payment I would get all 3 but that doesn't seem possible right now.

What are pros and cons to each?
I guess it all kind of depends on what you plan on using it for? If it's for close quarter home defense or hog hunting in the brush.....then a Socom with a red dot is perfect......although they are a heavy sombitch!

If you plan on wanting a rifle that can reach out to longer distances.....then you might want to consider the full length models. If I was going to consider a shorter barrel close quarter type rifle in .308.......I wouldn't go with a M1A, but more likely a AR10 model rifle. You still get a .308 semi-auto, box magazine fed rifle with a short barrel with more ability to add options to it than a M1A......for a lot less money!

Heck, a Socom is what $1800 or more......? A DPMS rifle in the same caliber is under $1300....& you get the ability to really upgrade to a heck of a lot more options than are offered for a M1A.....

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

Now if you want a cool precision quality semi-auto .308....

I got my M1A for the nostalgia of owning a kick-ass older military battle rifle........

I guess what I just posted in links should be considered blasphemy since this is a M1A thread!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42112
Blasphemy? Of course it is! but you made a very good point and saved me alot of money. $1800 is a heck of alot for just the rifle itself. I guess the M1A would be better for the "nostalgia", but I like like the idea of the Socom II.

Maybe its because I have this odd feeling that the .308 AR15s aren't as reliable?? Is that the case?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5626
SS Loaded -Born Sept. '08

xd357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
rcw
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD 45 View Post
I guess it all kind of depends on what you plan on using it for? If it's for close quarter home defense or hog hunting in the brush.....then a Socom with a red dot is perfect......although they are a heavy sombitch!

If you plan on wanting a rifle that can reach out to longer distances.....then you might want to consider the full length models. If I was going to consider a shorter barrel close quarter type rifle in .308.......I wouldn't go with a M1A, but more likely a AR10 model rifle. You still get a .308 semi-auto, box magazine fed rifle with a short barrel with more ability to add options to it than a M1A......for a lot less money!

Heck, a Socom is what $1800 or more......? A DPMS rifle in the same caliber is under $1300....& you get the ability to really upgrade to a heck of a lot more options than are offered for a M1A.....

Now if you want a cool precision quality semi-auto .308....

I got my M1A for the nostalgia of owning a kick-ass older military battle rifle........

I guess what I just posted in links should be considered blasphemy since this is a M1A thread!!
while you are right on the money and the options, I bet most people would agree that an m-14 is more reliable than an ar10. For that matter, you could get a ptr91 for like $1300. I don't own either, but if I was going to get a gun for home defense, it wouldn't be a .308 in the first place, but if it was, it wouldnt be based on the AR platform.
rcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31966
My M1A became my favorite rifle when the first round was fired in it.
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26943
My only one, but I plan on getting another, and a Garand one day.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPie View Post
My only one, but I plan on getting another, and a Garand one day.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #28
XDTalk 30K Member

Member #: 12162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need For Speed View Post
an M1A section? Sweet Mother of Jesus

I'll post my one as soon as I go take a cold shower after those wonderful looking ladies

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
oklawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #29
XDTalk 30K Member

Member #: 12162
with 4 digital camera all I could find is my Iphone

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
oklawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #30
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 33312
wow... just wow.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.--Psalm 23:4
s&w22aellafrits is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » M1A /M14 Talk

Search tags for this page
custom m1a scout
custom m1a scout squad
custom rifle painting
m14 scout rifle
m1a for sale
m1a scout sqoud rifles

m1a scout squad scope

m1a scout squad with scope

m1a standard
m1a super match mcmillan stock
mcmillan m1a

mcmillan m1a stock

sa m1a scout squad rifle
scout squad scope
scout squad with scope
Click on a term to search for related topics.